Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the #9 prospect?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Siani

3 7.89%
  • Andrew Abbott

2 5.26%
  • Jay Allen II

1 2.63%
  • Levi Stoudt

1 2.63%
  • Victor Acosta

0 0%
  • Brandon Williamson

13 34.21%
  • Carlos Jorge

0 0%
  • Sal Stewart

5 13.16%
  • Alex McGarry

0 0%
  • Connor Phillips

7 18.42%
  • Rece Hinds

1 2.63%
  • Joe Boyle

5 13.16%
  • Jose Acuna

0 0%
  • Austin Hendrick

0 0%
  • Christian Roa

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redszone 2022 Top 40 prospects Poll: #9

Re: Redszone 2022 Top 40 prospects Poll: #9

I don’t pay too much attention to overall stats for minor leaguers. They are in the minors to develop, to improve.

For Williamson, the most telling fact about him was that the Reds promoted him. They saw improvement, development in him. It still seems like he needs more development, but he showed that he has the talent to be a MLB pitcher, if he continues to develop.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    As stated earlier, the five pitchers discussed are close. I prefer pitchers who don't walk 5.6 batters per game while also giving up nearly a hit per inning. If you want to bank on Williamson returning to his 2021 form and rediscovering his control, feel free to do so. It's a free world.

But denying that Williamson had a poor season by pointing to his ERA might not be the best choice of evidence. ERA can be really lucky or unlucky.

And cherrypicking numbers seems even less of a good idea.
    Cherry-picking numbers is what baseball fans who like math do. If it a bad idea, why do you indulge in the same practice?
    And if Williamson had such a poor (you said horrible before) year, why did the Reds promote hi to AAA, which is a big jump?

I think you chose a judgmental, careless phrase and it is because you have a bias against Williamson.

I don’t really see much separating Phillips, Williamson, Stoudt, Abbott or Boyle, at least in terms of talent. So I picked the lefty who is closer to the big leagues. They all have at least one serious wart.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Cherry-picking numbers is what baseball fans who like math do. If it a bad idea, why do you indulge in the same practice?
    And if Williamson had such a poor (you said horrible before) year, why did the Reds promote hi to AAA, which is a big jump?

I think you chose a judgmental, careless phrase and it is because you have a bias against Williamson.
    It's true that I don't tend to like pitchers who can't throw strikes and give up a ton of hits.

If that's a bias against Williamson, that says more about him as a prospect than me as a poster.

And no, cherry-picking numbers isn't what baseball fans who like math do. Being honest with numbers is. Williamson's season was poor. The Reds promoted him because they were hoping to jumpstart his "stuff" or focus-- and it didn't work. He struggled all season to throw strikes. And when he did throw strikes, he got hit. That a no bueno season, my man. The very definition of, in fact. Too, "poor" and "bad" and "horrible" are all pretty synonymous. I'd argue that the season Williamson had was, relative to expectations, horrible. He was a top 100 prospect and the top prospect in a big trade. With a good first month, he'd have been in Cincinnati with Greene and Lodolo, perhaps ahead of Ashcraft. With a good half-season, he'd have been the fourth rookie in a lost season.

As is, he's one of five guys with warts in the bottom half of a top 10 list.

Turn Off Ads?