Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Appeals for MLB Reinstatement in Letter to Commissioner Rob Manfred

Re: Pete Rose Appeals for MLB Reinstatement in Letter to Commissioner Rob Manfred

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We'll still be having Pete Rose threads long after he's gone, that's for sure. I wish we would put this discussion to death LOL
    There's only one way that'll happen, inducting him. That's my point in my first thread on this subject. The joke's on baseball by trying to erase Rose out of the HOF they are making him more famous.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete Rose Appeals for MLB Reinstatement in Letter to Commissioner Rob Manfred

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    There's only one way that'll happen, inducting him. That's my point in my first thread on this subject. The joke's on baseball by trying to erase Rose out of the HOF they are making him more famous.
    I'm going to say infamous.

We're getting to a point in time where outside of older folks and big baseball fans Pete's fame is more associated with popping up every now and then and petitioning for reinstatement, appearing on cheesy tv shows associated with betting, signing autographs in Vegas and the revelation about his dalliances with a teenager when he was winning the MVP.

I'm not seeing his star shining any brighter today due to a museum's decision.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-24-2022),GAC (11-25-2022),Roy Tucker (11-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm going to say infamous.

We're getting to a point in time where outside of older folks and big baseball fans Pete's fame is more associated with popping up every now and then and petitioning for reinstatement, appearing on cheesy tv shows associated with betting, signing autographs in Vegas and the revelation about his dalliances with a teenager when he was winning the MVP.

I'm not seeing his star shining any brighter today due to a museum's decision.
    Nope. Every year you bring his name up, you bring up his accomplishments and there's going to come a time where his stats overshadow "gambling on his team to win as manager". Kind of like Shoeless Joe, people don't have anger toward him that weren't around when it all went down. Not because he might be innocent, but because we weren't enraged by it at the time. The same is going to happen with Rose except the difference is there's going to be plenty of great video of his headfirst slides, bowling over Fosse, and great bat control that it's not all just visible on paper.

Because, if he hadn't had such an overwhelming HOF career, his gambling wouldn't be an issue because there'd be no argument for him to be in HOF.

And as far as the underage girl situation, that has never been brought up as a reason to keep him out of HOF and won't be in the future.

Nope. Every year you bring his name up, you bring up his accomplishments and there's going to come a time where his stats overshadow "gambling on his team to win as manager". Kind of like Shoeless Joe, people don't have anger toward him that weren't around when it all went down. Not because he might be innocent, but because we weren't enraged by it at the time. The same is going to happen with Rose except the difference is there's going to be plenty of great video of his headfirst slides, bowling over Fosse, and great bat control that it's not all just visible on paper.

Because, if he hadn't had such an overwhelming HOF career, his gambling wouldn't be an issue because there'd be no argument for him to be in HOF.

And as far as the underage girl situation, that has never been brought up as a reason to keep him out of HOF and won't be in the future.
    I'm not talking about the HOF, I'm talking about him being more famous because of his battle to get in. I'm saying his other transgressions come to light whenever he lobbies to get in or pops up. Example, he goes to the Phillies 1980 reunion and makes the press for non baseball stuff or he writes a letter for reinstatement (to get into the HOF) that does not get much positive press and few days later it's announced that Pete Rose will make the first bet at the Hard Rock when it becomes legal in 2023.

That makes him infamous IMO, his stats make him a HOF player, anyone who follows baseball knows that. However, if he wants reinstatement by MLB so that the HOF will let him in then I'm going to say he's going about it all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm not talking about the HOF, I'm talking about him being more famous because of his battle to get in. I'm saying his other transgressions come to light whenever he lobbies to get in or pops up. Example, he goes to the Phillies 1980 reunion and makes the press for non baseball stuff or he writes a letter for reinstatement (to get into the HOF) that does not get much positive press and few days later it's announced that Pete Rose will make the first bet at the Hard Rock when it becomes legal in 2023.

That makes him infamous IMO, his stats make him a HOF player, anyone who follows baseball knows that. However, if he wants reinstatement by MLB so that the HOF will let him in then I'm going to say he's going about it all wrong
    Again, I'm on the side of him getting in HOF without reinstatement by MLB. I don't believe he should ever be reinstated. And I doubt he'll ever be in the HOF. And again, because of their hardcore stance that MLB has to reinstate him first(which seems like it should be irrelevant to me) I hope he never gets in and in time, this "infamous" you're talking about, the "in" slowly fades as the years pass. And that I'm talking years and years after he's gone.

He isn't John Wilkes Booth infamous, so as this fades into history, he will be known even more as the all time hits leader and less as the manager that bet on his team.

I feel that with Pete’s transgressions in his past, there is no way he can ever be associated with a current MLB team. Flat out no, nein, nichts, nyet, never ever ever ever. Ever.

But, his playing career certainly warrants very serious consideration of getting into the HOF. And I think the Hall looks stupid when players like Rose, Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens are excluded. Writers need to get over their personal vendettas and vote in very obviously worthy candidates. But that isn’t going to happen in the near future. Certainly not in Pete’s lifetime. Bonds and Clemens maybe, but they have considerable obstacles in their way too. I think it’s all pretty dumb.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

You are definitely right that he is strengthening his brand as a guy who was not allowed into the HOF. He is more well known for not getting into the HOF than for any actual betting.

He not only broke a cardinal rule (gambling), inwhich players knew the consequences; but went to prison (tax evasion), and for years arrogantly, defiantly, flaunted it in the face of MLB and the public, declaring his innocence. So he is also a liar. He only took that route of "repentance", admitting his guilt, when he saw that was the only avenue he could take to posibly get reinstated, while selling a book.

I grew up in the 60s idolizing this guy as a kid. I mimicked his style of play (minus the arrogance), his batting crouch, everything, the whole time growing up playing ball. He was da man to me and a lot of kids growing up. So it was devastating to me when he fell.

He made his bed; but it's a sad, tragic tale. For the sake, and credibilty/reputation of the game, he should continue to be permenantly banned. Just go away Pete. JMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-25-2022),RedsBaron (11-25-2022),Ron Madden (11-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He not only broke a cardinal rule (gambling), inwhich players knew the consequences; but went to prison (tax evasion), and for years arrogantly, defiantly, flaunted it in the face of MLB and the public, declaring his innocence. So he is also a liar. He only took that route of "repentance", admitting his guilt, when he saw that was the only avenue he could take to posibly get reinstated, while selling a book.

I grew up in the 60s idolizing this guy as a kid. I mimicked his style of play (minus the arrogance), his batting crouch, everything, the whole time growing up playing ball. He was da man to me and a lot of kids growing up. So it was devastating to me when he fell.

He made his bed; but it's a sad, tragic tale. For the sake, and credibilty/reputation of the game, he should continue to be permenantly banned. Just go away Pete. JMO.
    Again, and again and again, my argument is with the HOF bowing to MLB's rule of being kicked out of baseball meaning also being ineligible for the HOF. Rose should never be allowed a position in baseball, especially one that has any bearing on the outcome of a game(meaning if he was in the radio or tv booth, it wouldn't have an effect).

This was not a HOF rule until after Rose broke the MLB rule. So that's irrelevant to the MLB banishment rule

You're the one who said you wish the debate would go away, I just informed you to the only way that happens. And I hope it doesn't happen because the HOF doesn't deserve for it to go away and Rose is more famous for not being in.

Pete's all over the Hall already. He's got several mementos on display.

He'll never get the plaque, though. All from his own hubris, that he can do anything he wants, regardless of the rules.

I loved him as a player too.

And the only thing I think Pete is sorry about is that he got caught.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

14. Likes:

dfs (11-25-2022),RedsBaron (11-25-2022),Ron Madden (11-25-2022),SunDeck (05-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Pete's all over the Hall already. He's got several mementos on display.

He'll never get the plaque, though. All from his own hubris, that he can do anything he wants, regardless of the rules.

I loved him as a player too.

And the only thing I think Pete is sorry about is that he got caught.
    Ridiculous. He deserves the plaque because he earned it on the field.

The rule against gambling and banishment is to serve as a deterrent. If you break this rule that can cause the game's reputation to be harmed severely, you will no longer to be able to earn a living in MLB. You're done, whether you're still playing or retired and hope to have a job managing or coaching or whatever. That's your punishment and your punishment hopefully serves as a deterrent for the future.

Quite a deterrent.

Leaving Rose out of the hall of fame is just vengeful as it doesn't serve as a deterrent. I mean who's going to say "gee, I don't care if I'm never allowed to be part of MLB anymore, but the fact I'll never be in the hall is why I won't gamble while I am employed by MLB.

First of all you have to be hall of fame caliber to have any effect and that's what, maybe less than a 1/2 percent of all MLBers? And 2nd of all, even HOF caliber players who are managers or coaches don't want to lose their jobs and their future jobs. That's the deterrent, not the HOF. The HOF is just ignoring historic playing careers and making their museum less credible.

On this date in MLB history:

1988 - Reds manager Pete Rose is suspended for 30 days by N.L. president Bart Giamatti. This is the stiffest suspension ever levied against a manager for an on-field incident. On April 30 Rose shoved umpire Dave Pallone in the ninth inning of a 6-5 loss to the Mets, inciting a near riot among Cincinnati fans.

Kind of ironic when you look at how the gambling community is involved in the game (i.e. Bally Sports), and makes gambling so easy, right at your fingertips.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Not to mention that now MLB gets a cut whereas the revenue used to go solely to the local bookies. And Pete is certainly still betting on baseball, how about the irony of him funding the organization that banned him by doing the thing that got him banned?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Aristocratic Hoosier

H of F has its own grumpy old librarian types who would obviously scorn any voter who leans toward letting Rose into the sacred community. The grumpy old librarians make the rules, so if a voter even hinted that there might be a crack in the concrete wall, he/she would be ostracized. How DARE you defile our morality code!

That said, Rose hasn't turned out to be a person of persuasion and the longer he lives, the less he's liked -- even by many die-hard Reds fans. I personally don't care about him now. He was the leader of the team I remember giving me the most fun I could have had as a fan.

Rose exemplified winning on the field. His personal world, all of it, has been judged by us. The addiction of gambling will become as acute, or worse, than smoking ever was -- or drinking, or drug use. But you can buy reefer now -- and you are already being reminded to not drive high.

Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame if he leaves the rest of it on the doorstep of the Hall of Stupid Legislation.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

20. Likes:

GAC (05-02-2023)

Turn Off Ads?