Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin

Re: Barry Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They weren't building statues until the new stadium opened. If they were, I'm sure Joe would have had a statue way before 2013.
    Fair enough. And I'm guessing Larkin's will be next. However, we know this ownership and they will want to take years to plan it, years to advertise it and make sure it's in a year that the team is so bad that they need something artificial to fill out the stadium for one weekend. A season like 2022 for instance but after years of planning and advertising.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Fair enough. And I'm guessing Larkin's will be next. However, we know this ownership and they will want to take years to plan it, years to advertise it and make sure it's in a year that the team is so bad that they need something artificial to fill out the stadium for one weekend. A season like 2022 for instance but after years of planning and advertising.
    According to the voices in my head, this ownership plans to stir up interest in next season with the unveiling of an oversized Mike Moustakas statue.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-21-2022)

How much more room do they have to add statues? It’s not like a hall of fame, there’s only so much available pavement that makes sense.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    According to the voices in my head, this ownership plans to stir up interest in next season with the unveiling of an oversized Mike Moustakas statue.
    How will we know if it's a statue or the real Moose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-21-2022),cumberlandreds (11-14-2022),Roy Tucker (11-14-2022),westofyou (11-14-2022)

The Reds already have 8 statues of former players at the ballpark.

I really doubt they're planning to add more any time soon.

They probably lead all of sports with statues of former players. after so many of'em doesn't it lessen the honor of having one?
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-14-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree, Larkin deserves the honor.
    I always thought it was dumb that they made statues of everyone on Big Red Machine (or had planned to, I Don't know if they ever finished)
    I know one of the BRM said they could make a statue of him, only if the rest of the guys had a statue too.. but in this case the Reds should have just said "no, and if you insist, we just won't make a statue of you"
    I think Nuxhall has a statue too.. Again, most stupidity. I liked Joe, but why does he get a statue for being a broadcaster? His career was forgettable, other than being very young when he made his debut (I think 15?)
    I think it was Bench who said they want a statue of every starter of the BRM. If that;s the case, Concepcion, Foster, Geronimo and Senior are on deck.
    As for Nuxhall, it was a vote of the fans. If theyu wanted Joe, then he was going to have a statue. If they wanted Bob Bailey, he would have had a statue. I think it was more of Nuxhall's popularity as an announcer and as a community figure. You're right in that his career, save for his debut, wasn't memorable. In 1960 he was basically booed out of town. But what's done is done and there are worse people that there could be statues of than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The Reds already have 8 statues of former players at the ballpark.

I really doubt they're planning to add more any time soon.

They probably lead all of sports with statues of former players. after so many of'em doesn't it lessen the honor of having one?
    So what's a few more? Out of all the players who played for the Reds having a dozen of them really isn't a lot.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

11. Likes:

LeatherPants (11-14-2022)

Joe Nuxhall is a Reds icon, also if you dive deeper he's one of the better LH pitchers the team ever had. Totally understand the placement of a statue for him

13. Likes:

Big Klu (11-14-2022),BRM13 (11-15-2022),CesarGeronimo (11-14-2022),RiverRat13 (11-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Joe Nuxhall is a Reds icon, also if you dive deeper he's one of the better LH pitchers the team ever had. Totally understand the placement of a statue for him
    The Old' Lefthander was also a part of the Reds Organization in some way for most of his life. Probably longer than anyone.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-14-2022),westofyou (11-14-2022)

Jim Maloney was a top-ten caliber pitcher for a long time. He had a fantastic career, basically all as a Red. My Dad would tell me about Paul Derringer as the anchor of a staff which made it to two World Series, and he’s the Reds all time wins leader in the modern era, well, second to Eppa Rixey, who played over 20 years. I don’t know if these are statue-worthy, but they deserve mention.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cobike View Post
    Jim Maloney was a top-ten caliber pitcher for a long time. He had a fantastic career, basically all as a Red. My Dad would tell me about Paul Derringer as the anchor of a staff which made it to two World Series, and he’s the Reds all time wins leader in the modern era, well, second to Eppa Rixey, who played over 20 years. I don’t know if these are statue-worthy, but they deserve mention.
    Bucky Walters was more of the star than Derringer, Paul pitched a long time as a Red, on a lot of bad teams too. Maloney is missing the big game in his resume, if he had made it to 1970 and rocked then he'd likely have one. But as it is both of those guys are a lot like Eppa Rixley from different eras

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    How will we know if it's a statue or the real Moose?
    Durability. If you see it at the ballpark every day, it's the statue.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-14-2022)

Bucky Walters was more of the star than Derringer, Paul pitched a long time as a Red, on a lot of bad teams too. Maloney is missing the big game in his resume, if he had made it to 1970 and rocked then he'd likely have one. But as it is both of those guys are a lot like Eppa Rixley from different eras
    I think Maloney's biggest problem is that he didn't stand out among peers(aces) of all the other teams. Every team back then had a true ace comparable to Maloney and he didn't stick out among the Koufaxes, Drysdales, Gibsons, Jenkins, Niekros, Perrys, Marichals and then came the Seavers, Carltons and on his own team, Gary Nolan(who kind of stole Maloney's thunder his first season).

But make no mistake about it, Maloney was a Reds ace that lasted in that role longer than anyone since, though Johnny Cueto probably came closest.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-14-2022)

Agree with you. But if the whole BRM gets a statue eventually(and I doubt they do) Don Gullett probably should get one too since he was probably the best lefty we've had since and better than Nuxy for his shorter stint as a Red.

One of my favorite Nuxhall and Marty moments: Back in the early 80s, due to a passed ball, Mario Soto struck out 4 in an inning. Obviously tied a Reds record with a couple other pitchers. Marty pulled up the list and there was Joe Nuxhall as a shared record holder. Marty says "I'll venture a guess that when you did it, it was due to a wild pitch rather than a passed ball". Nuxhall replies "What are you insinuating partner?". Marty says "I think you know". And Nuxhall laughs and says "I hate to say it, but yes, you are correct".

24. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-15-2022),BRM13 (11-15-2022),Revering4Blue (11-14-2022),westofyou (11-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    I think Maloney's biggest problem is that he didn't stand out among peers(aces) of all the other teams. Every team back then had a true ace comparable to Maloney and he didn't stick out among the Koufaxes, Drysdales, Gibsons, Jenkins, Niekros, Perrys, Marichals and then came the Seavers, Carltons and on his own team, Gary Nolan(who kind of stole Maloney's thunder his first season).

But make no mistake about it, Maloney was a Reds ace that lasted in that role longer than anyone since, though Johnny Cueto probably came closest.
    Exactly, Jim was good, but it was a pitchers era and there were a LOT of good pitchers

Eric Davis deserves one before Larkin.

Eric Davis was the heart and sould of that 1990 team, not Barry Larkin.

If Larkin was given a statue before Davis, it would be just one more slap into the face of Davis by the REDS.

Give both of them one at the same time to do it right.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-15-2022 at 03:57 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?