Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin

Re: Barry Larkin

This is why you can't do these types of things. Once you do one, then basically everyone that is recognizable "needs" one.

That being said, I'd be for Barry getting a statue. It'd be nice to see a statue of a player that I've actually seen play.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-16-2022),REDREAD (11-21-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It's pretty simple, if you are in the Hall of Fame, have a world series ring, and played your entire baseball career in Cincinnati, you should have a statue. You can make cases for other people that don't have all of those accomplishments, but if you have all three they should be working on the design right now.

5. Likes:

fondfoat (11-22-2022),Larkin Fan (11-15-2022),Revering4Blue (11-15-2022),westofyou (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Joe Nuxhall is a Reds icon, also if you dive deeper he's one of the better LH pitchers the team ever had. Totally understand the placement of a statue for him

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

Fifteen years ago today, the Ol' Lefthander retired to the broadcast booth in the sky.

We miss you, Nuxy. ❤️

11:00 AM - Nov,15 2022

Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-15-2022 at 11:19 AM.

7. Likes:

Big Klu (11-15-2022),westofyou (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    It's pretty simple, if you are in the Hall of Fame, have a world series ring, and played your entire baseball career in Cincinnati, you should have a statue. You can make cases for other people that don't have all of those accomplishments, but if you have all three they should be working on the design right now.
    12 All Star games, seven Silver Sluggers, three Gold Gloves listed on the bottom of that resume seem somewhat pertinent

9. Likes:

Larkin Fan (11-15-2022),LeatherPants (11-15-2022),Ron Madden (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Eric Davis deserves one before Larkin.

Eric Davis was the heart and sould of that 1990 team, not Barry Larkin.

If Larkin was given a statue before Davis, it would be just one more slap into the face of Davis by the REDS.

Give both of them one at the same time to do it right.
    This might be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen.
    Last edited by foster15; 11-15-2022 at 12:05 PM.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-15-2022),JCM11 (11-15-2022),RiverRat13 (11-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    I think Maloney's biggest problem is that he didn't stand out among peers(aces) of all the other teams. Every team back then had a true ace comparable to Maloney and he didn't stick out among the Koufaxes, Drysdales, Gibsons, Jenkins, Niekros, Perrys, Marichals and then came the Seavers, Carltons and on his own team, Gary Nolan(who kind of stole Maloney's thunder his first season).

But make no mistake about it, Maloney was a Reds ace that lasted in that role longer than anyone since, though Johnny Cueto probably came closest.
    To me, it doesn’t matter that Maloney was overshadowed by other greats of his era. He was right up there with them and their fame doesn’t take anything away from what he did for the Reds. It’s not his fault that they didn’t make the series during his career, albeit that seems to be a factor in whom the Reds will ensculpt on the plaza. However by that standard, Bucky Walters deserves it.
    Last edited by cobike; 11-15-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    12 All Star games, seven Silver Sluggers, three Gold Gloves listed on the bottom of that resume seem somewhat pertinent
    8 silver sluggers.

Also, I think he covered all those with his listing Hall-of-Fame as a criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by cobike View Post
    To me, it doesn’t matter that Maloney was overshadowed by other greats of his era. He was right up there with them and their fame doesn’t take anything away from what he did for the Reds. It’s not his fault that they didn’t make the series during his career, albeit that seems to be a factor in whom the Reds will ensculpt on the plaza. However by that standard, Bucky Walters deserves it.
    Actually, they made the 1961 world series with Maloney on the roster.

Jim Maloney was a very good pitcher for the Reds. He was their best starter for a number of years. That doesn't mean he's statue worthy. He made one all-star team, never got a Cy Young vote, was not by any standard a top 5 pitcher in the league let alone in all of MLB. I'm really not trying to take away from him but in reality, he was not better than Don Gullet, Jose Rijo or Johnny Cueto. So if you go by the numbers, those 3 deserve honors before Maloney does.

Dave Concepcion fell 4 hall of fame votes away from reaching your criteria. Off the top of my head, that would make him next after Larkin.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-16-2022)

Dave Concepcion fell 4 hall of fame votes away from reaching your criteria.
    You can make cases for other people that don't have all of those accomplishments, but if you have all three they should be working on the design right now.

Actually, they made the 1961 world series with Maloney on the roster.

Jim Maloney was a very good pitcher for the Reds. He was their best starter for a number of years. That doesn't mean he's statue worthy. He made one all-star team, never got a Cy Young vote, was not by any standard a top 5 pitcher in the league let alone in all of MLB. I'm really not trying to take away from him but in reality, he was not better than Don Gullet, Jose Rijo or Johnny Cueto. So if you go by the numbers, those 3 deserve honors before Maloney does.
    Agreed, by the apparent statuary standard, he isn’t deserving. He isn’t in the HOF. I just put his name forward when other Reds names were being tossed around. And I have no doubt Larkin qualifies, to get back to the topic.

You can make cases for other people that don't have all of those accomplishments, but if you have all three they should be working on the design right now.
    No need to repeat yourself. I agree with you. Just pointing out that Concepcion probably deserves to make it over all the others that don't reach your criteria because his being left out of the HOF is based on arbitrary opinion rather than how great of a short stop he was.

I would so they were co-hearts of that 1990 team. But Larkin deserve a statue much more than Davis. If not for injuries Davis would have made the big HOF. But that's the old iffin' game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

REDREAD (11-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would so they were co-hearts of that 1990 team. But Larkin deserve a statue much more than Davis. If not for injuries Davis would have made the big HOF. But that's the old iffin' game.
    See, if he wants to argue that Davis was more the heart of that team, I'll chalk it up to an opinion and everyone has one. However, a statue isn't about one season. One world series or any other criteria that covers less than 50 percent of a career. I mean seriously, if the Reds made the World Series next season and Jonathon India MVPed them there on his own shoulders, then had an average career after, would that qualify him for a statue? Of course not. (Okay, this might be a bad example in that if any player can get the 2023 team to a World Series, they should qualify for Superman status).

With that said, let's debate 1990(even though it's irrelevant by itself in the statue debate). Larkin, Davis, Sabo, Rijo, Myers, Dibble and Charlton all played a huge part in getting that most unlikely of World Series Championships.
    Last edited by foster15; 11-15-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Eric Davis literally almost gave his Life to win a Championship for the REDS.

Sorry if that's not good enough for you.

He could have played a cushy position like SS, as it was his position when he became a RED, but his incredible talent that was better than Larkin's forced the obvious move to CF, where he was the best to ever play the position for the Cincinnati REDS. Only Marge Schott's refusal to replace the hard concrete and artificial turf and horrible walls prevented Eric Davis from becoming a Hall-of-Fame player. How many World Series' did Larkin get to after Davis left? None. It was Davis who set the tone in the World Series with his 1st Inning HR. Anyone who had a brain knew he was going to hit one off of Stewart in the 1st Inning of that game.

The constant abuse of the hard concrete, turf and walls at Riverfront killed Davis' career. His best far exceeded Larkin's best.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?