Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the #10 prospect?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Siani

4 8.89%
  • Andrew Abbott

4 8.89%
  • Jay Allen II

0 0%
  • Levi Stoudt

7 15.56%
  • Victor Acosta

0 0%
  • Ricardo Cabrera

0 0%
  • Carlos Jorge

0 0%
  • Sal Stewart

8 17.78%
  • Alex McGarry

0 0%
  • Connor Phillips

13 28.89%
  • Rece Hinds

1 2.22%
  • Joe Boyle

8 17.78%
  • Jose Acuna

0 0%
  • Austin Hendrick

0 0%
  • Christian Roa

0 0%
  • Bryce Bonnin

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone 2023 Top 40 prospects Poll: #10

Redszone 2023 Top 40 prospects Poll: #10

Brandon Williamson joins the back of the top 10. Added for your consideration are Ricardo Cabrera and Bryce Bonnin. Also changing the title of this to 2023 to more accurately reflect what season this is heading into.

1. Elly De La Cruz SS/3B AA 20
    2. Noelvi Marte SS A+ 21
    3. Cam Collier 3B ROK 17
    4. Edwin Arroyo SS A 19
    5. Christian Encarnacion-Strand 1B/3B AA 22
    6. Matt McLain SS AA 23
    7. Chase Petty RHP A+ 19
    8. Spencer Steer INF MLB 24
    9. Brandon Williamson LHP AAA 24

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone 2023 Top 40 prospects Poll: #10

For those wanting some reports, Doug has his top 25 list up:

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/202...pect-list-1-5/
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

I assume the Phillips' votes come down to age and upside?

I get that. For real, I understand.

The BBs give me pause. (About all of them-- except Stoudt.)

I’m still an Abbott fan, but he hasn’t had much traction so I’m switching off to Sal Stewart for this round.

Stewart is young and his defensive position is a question. But from the reports and his brief appearance at Complex Ball, he’s a fine all around hitter, with a strong hit tool, power, and plate discipline. He’s very young but I like the skill set as an offensive player.

I prefer Abbott and Stewart to Williamson and Phillips so I’m destined to be in the minority on some of these choices. Phillips’ BB rate is a concern and his GB rate may be an issue, it’s bounced around at various levels.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2022 at 01:16 PM.

This was the most difficult choice for me. I rank Stewart, Phillips and Stoudt pretty much equally. I went with Stoudt, because I think that if he gets off to a good start in AAA in 2023, the Reds will give him a shot in the ML bullpen.
    I think it is a good sign of the quality of our system that our top ten could have 14 guys (Boyle and Abbott are just behind Stewart, Phillips and Stoudt).

I’m going Joe Boyle until he wins. Has the most stuff. His control will probably never be good, but that can be worked around out of the bullpen. IMO, his upside as a reliever is better than the guys left in any other role (with possible exceptions for the really young guys who I just don’t know enough about to feel comfortable voting for at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Damned jumping Southern Africa wifi. My vote for Hinds should have been Connor Phillips, FWIW

There just isn't much daylight between the candidacies of the five AA/ AAA pitchers on the list.

Boyle has the best pure stuff, but walks nearly a batter an inning.
    Williamson is a lefty with four pitches, but troubles with location and hits.
    Stoudt walks about half as many as the next guy on the list, but gives up the most hits.
    Phillips is super young, has upside, but his walks might be more problematic than Boyle's.
    Abbott is a lefty with a killer curve and perhaps the best numbers overall last year (High A included), but he's shortest on stuff of all of them.

10. Likes:

mth123 (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Damned jumping Southern Africa wifi. My vote for Hinds should have been Connor Phillips, FWIW
    Noted.

Not sure why Phillips's control would be more concerning than Boyle. Steamer projects Phillips's BB/9 at 4.82 in 2023, Boyle with 5.90. That's a huge gap, especially when you consider Phillips is two years younger...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Not sure why Phillips's control would be more concerning than Boyle. Steamer projects Phillips's BB/9 at 4.82 in 2023, Boyle with 5.90. That's a huge gap, especially when you consider Phillips is two years younger...
    Because Boyle's H/9 is so incredibly low. 4.1 H/9 is crazy good. That limits the damage his walks do-- or perhaps could do.

Phillips, otoh, serves up 7.1 H/9. That means Phillips' WHiP is .100 higher despite the BB difference. He's averaging one more base runner than Boyle even with the BB total.

In short, if you can't limit hits at a historic level, best not have a BB total above 3.5.

Sign me up for Team Boyle.

At some point I’ll need to start throwing some energy toward Jay Allen, despite is inconsistent season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Because Boyle's H/9 is so incredibly low. 4.1 H/9 is crazy good. That limits the damage his walks do-- or perhaps could do.

Phillips, otoh, serves up 7.1 H/9. That means Phillips' WHiP is .100 higher despite the BB difference. He's averaging one more base runner than Boyle even with the BB total.

In short, if you can't limit hits at a historic level, best not have a BB total above 3.5.
    Not many stats I care about less for pitching prospects than H/9 in the lower minors...

BB rate and WHIP are rather important for a pitcher headed to GABP. All Reds pitchers will eventually be stung by the cheap homer. You’d like it to be a solo shot, as often as possible. I have difficulty voting for some of these prospects who allow so many baserunners, especially via the base on balls.

Of course they all need to work on walks. But, vis a vis Phillips, 21 year olds who K 12 per 9 at AA are likely to be pretty wild. The whole issue is whether he's going to be able to reduce his W rate significantly enough. If he were walking 2.5 per 9 he'd be the number 1 prospect on this list.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-15-2022)

Turn Off Ads?