Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 2022 World Cup

Re: 2022 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    None or Barely any 20th or 21st century visual arts in the Louvre and Musee d’Orsay is the big 19th-century arts museum. The big 20th-century arts museums are Centre Pompidou and the Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris.
    The Louvre is centered on “old” art. Definitely doesn’t have much African or other colonial painting.
    Please tell me this is a joke
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Hmm that’s tougher. I’m sure the show is in New York.
    @Aronoff for Jesus Christ Superstar. Last time I listened to it was in the early 80’s.

Followed on my phone before the show. I’ll watch the replay tonight.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    @Aronoff for Jesus Christ Superstar. Last time I listened to it was in the early 80’s.

Followed on my phone before the show. I’ll watch the replay tonight.
    Mbappe played the lead in that today.

Enjoy it’s a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Greatest soccer match in history?
    I cannot recall watching a more thrilling game, much less a WC final.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

6. Likes:

Chip R (12-19-2022),M2 (12-18-2022),RedTeamGo! (12-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I cannot recall watching a more thrilling game, much less a WC final.
    Yeah, that was absurdly dramatic.

Though after this and 2006, France is going to lobby hard to get rid of the penalty shootout.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

SunDeck (01-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yeah, that was absurdly dramatic.

Though after this and 2006, France is going to lobby hard to get rid of the penalty shootout.
    What do you do then? Those players are completely gassed in extra time. Extra time is actually fun to watch because it opens up a bit because everyone is so tired. You can't keep playing when half the people on the pitch can't play.

Argentina's GK was fantastic in PK's, but I could do away with him trying intimidate the PK taker by coming out to the PK spot.

I did find it somewhat disappointing when France got the late PK in the 2nd extra period and Argentina went and tried to scuff up the PK spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What do you do then? Those players are completely gassed in extra time. Extra time is actually fun to watch because it opens up a bit because everyone is so tired. You can't keep playing when half the people on the pitch can't play.

Argentina's GK was fantastic in PK's, but I could do away with him trying intimidate the PK taker by coming out to the PK spot.

I did find it somewhat disappointing when France got the late PK in the 2nd extra period and Argentina went and tried to scuff up the PK spot.
    I agree with you about there being limits to human endurance. Maybe you toss that out for a final and go golden goal after the 30 minutes of OT (with new subs allowed too). Yet it's definitely got drawbacks no matter how you'd structure it. I'm just saying France probably would like to see it no matter what the drawbacks are, having lost two of the last five WCs in a shootout.

Argentina definitely went full heel. They've always been on the edge of nasty. Like Betterread was saying, they push the envelope every chance they get. On top of the PK nonsense they all have a roundhouse kick/punch move. If the ref says anything they plead innocence and it was pure coincidence that they whacked an opposing player for the dozenth time. There's also boot scrapes and foot stomps. On top of that, they rarely miss a chance to dive. Di Maria absolutely dove to win the first penalty. I'll note Thuram tried a similar dive in OT and got a yellow for it. Di Maria is much better at it. I'm actually a Di Maria fan. Spectacular player, but he's a weasel.

Oh, and their trash talking was pretty epic too. Basically, it was like Razor Ramon won the Royal Rumble.

11. Likes:

Mutaman (12-20-2022)

I don't think that the game is set up for the rigors of an overtime that goes on on on. The body can't take it. I remember when I played how gassed I was at the end of regulation play at every level and I recall HS games that I basically crawled from the shower to my bed. Now amp that up 1000 times and people will be dropping.

I do think the goalie should stay in the goal mouth, the looming over a guy stuff is too MMA for me.

I think for the final at least having golden goal with no PKs would be better and more dramatic too. Let them have more subs or whatever, maybe even let them bring guys back on after a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think for the final at least having golden goal with no PKs would be better and more dramatic too. Let them have more subs or whatever, maybe even let them bring guys back on after a certain point.
    I don't know, I find the extra period rather exciting. But towards the end it really ends up both teams trying to counter hoping for one opportunity.

PK's are always talked about at the WC. Every. Single. One. You hear non soccer fans talk about how the game is boring, ties, how PK's are a bad way to end it, etc.

But how could you not love these PK's. You had Mbappe going for his third PK of the day. Both France and Argentina had their bets PK taker going first, both making their kicks. Both had some of their better takers on the bench after being subbed out. You had the best two players in the tournament, Messi and Mbappe standing there doing everything they could have done.

15. Likes:

Betterread (12-20-2022)

I don't know, I find the extra period rather exciting. But towards the end it really ends up both teams trying to counter hoping for one opportunity.

PK's are always talked about at the WC. Every. Single. One. You hear non soccer fans talk about how the game is boring, ties, how PK's are a bad way to end it, etc.

But how could you not love these PK's. You had Mbappe going for his third PK of the day. Both France and Argentina had their bets PK taker going first, both making their kicks. Both had some of their better takers on the bench after being subbed out. You had the best two players in the tournament, Messi and Mbappe standing there doing everything they could have done.
    I don’t mind them in general and they are dramatic and there is strategy involved. I would keep them for the rest of the tournament.

In the final though, I would prefer it ended playing soccer. Golden goal with no PK shifts the strategy to be significantly more offensive in extra time. It’s also way more dramatic, basically like playoff hockey, where it can end at any second.

They need to go back to the golden goal.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They need to go back to the golden goal.
    Ended up being highly tactical with teams playing safe and looking to counter each other. It can favor bunkering.

The thing about PKs is that while they are dramatic, I think they tend to lend themselves to teams not going for a win either in regulation or extra time. They will just leave it to PKs. But I understand how exhausted these guys are after 120 minutes of play. And PKs are good TV in a sport that desperately needs more U.S. eyes watching the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'd be fine with, say, one 10 minute OT, played full, then subsequent golden goal periods until a winner, with no limits on subs. That would at least allow some acknowledgement of how taxing even 90 minutes is.

Coincidentally, I might rate another Argentina win - 1986 over W. Germany- as the second best game I've seen.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?