Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

2022 World Cup

We're six days away from the start of the World Cup. Yes, the timing is bizarre. Yes, the body count Qatar racked up in building its stadiums is horrific. Yes, this is probably going to be the most dude-heavy World Cup ever from an attendance standpoint (because women, especially South American ones, are basically outlawed). Yet it's still a battle for eternal glory.

Here's ESPN blurbs on each team: https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...iews-for-qatar.

Full squad lists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_F...rld_Cup_squads.

Brazil is heading into this installment with what looks like their best team since 2002 (the last time they won). We'll get to see early on whether they can overwhelm a low block, because that's all they're going to see in their group (Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon).

My rando predictions:

- The U.S. wins its group, then loses to Ecuador or Senegal at the start of the knockout rounds.

- Big name teams that could be in trouble: Spain (they have no clue what their starting 11 is), Belgium (golden generation getting old). Both are in very tough groups.

- Sleeper team: could be Croatia again (because Luka Modric is still a genius), but I really like Uruguay to make some noise. It's got to beat Portugal to win its group, but it's got what might be a golden generation just hitting its prime.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Betterread (11-15-2022),goreds2 (11-15-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 World Cup

If the US wins the group and loses to Senegal I’m gonna jump in Lake Erie.

I don’t think US advances
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Oh I think they absolutely advance. It’s not a hard group and they have a legit midfield.

Wales is the most important game. Need 3 points.

7. Likes:

Betterread (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Oh I think they absolutely advance. It’s not a hard group and they have a legit midfield.

England is very good, I don’t see the USMNT stopping Kane.

The US is certainly better than Wales, but they are experienced and led by a player that might view this as going out with a bang. The US does not fare well against euro teams like this. I think the US is going to lose to both England and Wales.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 11-15-2022 at 09:46 AM.

If the US wins the group and loses to Senegal I’m gonna jump in Lake Erie.
    This is why they should play in the summer.

10. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-15-2022),BuckeyeRed27 (11-15-2022),goreds2 (11-15-2022)

The midfield (and Turner in the net) are why I think they win the group. I'm pretty confident about grabbing that 3 off of Wales. Good chance the Welsh don't park the bus and the U.S. slices them up. Iran's perhaps the trap game. They've got some scoring even if their defense and midfield are highly suspect.

I agree. USMNT should get six points from Wales and Iran, assuming they play well, which is assuming a lot.
    On paper, UK should kill us, but they always flatter to deceive in these competitions so we will tie them, assuming we don’t make any stupid defensive errors, which is also assuming a lot. So I can see us winning the group, if everything goes as well as possible, which I hope will happen.
    i am optimistic about the USA advancing, and will ignore all the poor play in the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I agree. USMNT should get six points from Wales and Iran, assuming they play well, which is assuming a lot.
    On paper, UK should kill us, but they always flatter to deceive in these competitions so we will tie them, assuming we don’t make any stupid defensive errors, which is also assuming a lot. So I can see us winning the group, if everything goes as well as possible, which I hope will happen.
    i am optimistic about the USA advancing, and will ignore all the poor play in the past few years.
    The England game will be interesting. We have a advantage in midfield. They have an advantage with their front line vs our defense. They have played in big games recently and we haven’t.

I also don’t fully trust Greggg to figure our how to exploit a tactical advantage, but I’ve been surprised before.

The England game will be interesting. We have a advantage in midfield. They have an advantage with their front line vs our defense. They have played in big games recently and we haven’t.

I also don’t fully trust Greggg to figure our how to exploit a tactical advantage, but I’ve been surprised before.
    I have always felt in tournament type settings, midfield play often is the most important feature of a game. A great midfielder can control the game, especially as teams are afraid to take chances.

If the USMNT had Tim Howard in goal, I would feel a whole lot better about their chances. But Turner has the chance to really insert himself as a top tier GK.

I am not enamored with Zimmerman as center back, but hope for the best here.

I do wonder this, as the USMNT doesn't often have this luxury, but Aaronson and Adams both playing on a top tier EPL club, could that familiarity be an advantage for them?

Aronson and Adams very well might be the two best American players right now. The success (or lack thereof) of this world cup goes through Adams IMHO.

Fortunately, Southgate isn't exactly a tactical genius either. It's probably going to be up to individual players to make plays. McKennie's the guy I've got my eye in terms of being a difference maker. On the flip side, I'm already preparing to put my head in my hands when Jordan Morris gets subbed in.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The midfield (and Turner in the net) are why I think they win the group. I'm pretty confident about grabbing that 3 off of Wales. Good chance the Welsh don't park the bus and the U.S. slices them up. Iran's perhaps the trap game. They've got some scoring even if their defense and midfield are highly suspect.
    Plus the incentive of playing for your life has to be on the top of any Iranian player or coaches list...if they lose to the US there won't be a warm welcome waiting.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

18. Likes:

M2 (11-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Plus the incentive of playing for your life has to be on the top of any Iranian player or coaches list...if they lose to the US there won't be a warm welcome waiting.
    And they'll be the one team that sets a low block and tries to counter the U.S. (though Wales might surprise me and play cautious). I do wonder whether Iranian authorities fear the bad home PR of a loss more than a spontaneous mass celebration turning into a protest.

There is no need to fly all the way to Qatar, when Supercomputer has figured this whole thing out for us. After running the tournament 100,000 times the winner will be...............................Brazil.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...tion&ci=550392

Turn Off Ads?