Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

Re: 2022 World Cup

Reyna has been inserted as a false #9 and he's connecting far better than anyone the U.S. has played up front so far. It's pretty infuriating Berhalter waited until he was down 2-0 in an elimination game to do it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The good news is the US is playing agressive attacking soccer. Dest has been the start of a lot of attacks.Pulisic has gotten the ball in good positions a lot.
    The bad news is while Pulisic is getting the ball a lot, he has not supplied the final product. And while we are pushing forward, we are not getting back. Both first half goals came on cutbacks to late arriving runs. First goal, Adams didn’t run back with Memphis, who was wide open.
    On the second goal, Blind ran right past Dest who just watched him get open. Also, both those runs ended with good on target shots.
    In the second half, Reyna had a great cutback to an open McKinnie, who had time, but shot over the bar. Not on target.
    The supplier of both Dutch assists was Dumfries. He starts for InterMilan. Robinson is told by Berhalter to push forward so he is helpless at stopping him. In the second half, Robinson is staying home and battling Dumfries.

The USA is playing hard, running a lot. Two goal attempts cleared off the line. But they are running out of gas in minute 63. Then PulisicHadji wright scores in minute 75. It’s a game.

And then the Dutch third goal was scored by Dumfries. Far post cross volleyed in after a late run that Robinson never saw (he was guarding a guy right in front of the goal) and none of our midfielders helped.
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-03-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Wow. Still have life.

The physics of that Haji Wright goal were insane.

Must be a half dozen times where the U.S. has looked like it had the chances to play fast out of the back and the Dutch have forced them to slow down.

I guess the three-team groups for the 2026 World Cup landed with a thud and FIFA is now leaning toward 12 4-team groups - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cu...utchered-2026/.

The top two in each group would advance to a 32-team knockout round along with the top 8 third-place finishers. There also would be a penalty shootout at the end of tie games in the group stage (no extra time), with the winner earning an extra point.

8. Likes:

Chip R (12-05-2022)

Mbappe with 2 absolute bangers today. Goodness.

I'm rooting for upsets, but you know FIFA is licking its lips over the prospect of a quarterfinals round that features Netherlands-Argentina, Brazil-Croatia, France-England and Spain-Portugal.

11. Likes:

Chip R (12-05-2022)

Croatia advances by making more penalty kicks 3-1. Mario Pasalic ( plays for Atalanta) scored the decider. GK Livakovic saved three shots.
    Japan was very good. Just ran out of gas.

If you are a defender, you are on the goal line, and you see the ball going in, why don't you use your hands to stop it? I would think that a penalty kick is better than a sure goal. Would that also result in a red card? It seems to me if the defender is in that position, then 'whatever means necessary' comes into play.

Raphinha with a wonderful dribble and give and go run and cross to Vinicius, whose finish was elegant. His finish was made tough by having the goalie and three defenders closing on him. He had to go far post and high and he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If you are a defender, you are on the goal line, and you see the ball going in, why don't you use your hands to stop it? I would think that a penalty kick is better than a sure goal. Would that also result in a red card? It seems to me if the defender is in that position, then 'whatever means necessary' comes into play.
    You try and throw your whole body in the general direction, but if the play is in front of you and you see that that approach will not work, you stop it with your arm and hope the ref doesn’t see it.

Yes that’s a red card and now that VAR exists pretty hard to get away with.

This only makes sense if very late in the match and if denying a sure game-winner. It's an act of desperation.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I don't know the circumstances of the particular game but just by going on what you said... It 100000000000000000000000000% would be a red card, pk for the attacking team, and your team be down 1 the rest of the game.

But in a "heat of the moment" it's not often that you see that because the reflex time needed isn't enough to actually go through with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?