Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

Re: 2022 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This only makes sense if very late in the match and if denying a sure game-winner. It's an act of desperation.
    Suarez did that in the World Cup, the ensuing PK was missed, and Uruguay ended up winning the game.

I do agree in a WC, especially late in the match, if you can stop a sure fire goal, go ahead and make the other team earn it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think when that happens it should be an automatic goal awarded plus a red card.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think when that happens it should be an automatic goal awarded plus a red card.
    I don't disagree, but its not, and its still a viable play, especially if it means heading home or potentially staying alive.

6. Likes:

westofyou (12-06-2022)

8. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2022)

Incredible. Just incredible.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

It didn’t seem like a fair result. Spain attacked all match long and Morocco just bunkered down and “played for the counter”. But they didn’t look that dangerous on counter attacks. They didn’t come close to scoring.
    MIRA. Luis Enrique needs to work on penalties. And on player selection. Fati and Morata benched for more Olmo and Soler?
    All I can say is that what is a team supposed to do when their opponent has far more skills? In order to win, you have to focus on defending well and frustrating the other team. So that’s what Morocco did. Portugal is more “pragmatic” than Spain (assuming they beat Switzerland, of course) so I predict a pretty boring match until Portugal brings in Leao as a sub and he draws a penalty and Portugal wins.
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-06-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Who needs Christiano Ronaldo when you have a wizard (o feiticiero) like Goncalo Ramos, who smashed the first goal into the roof of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Who needs Christiano Ronaldo when you have a wizard (o feiticiero) like Goncalo Ramos, who smashed the first goal into the roof of the net.
    That goal was insane. No idea how that went in.

Ronaldo getting a little long in the tooth? No problem. Just plug in a Ramos.

News today is that negotiations are underway to extend Berhalter’s contract to coach the USMNT. Hopefully, this is merely in recognition of a successful qualifying campaign and advancement from the WC Finals group stage. Hopefully, the USSF has greater ambitions for their team and their coach than what they accomplished during Berhalter’s time.
    The US was the only CONCACAF squad to advance, which is a better reflection of our talent than the third place we finished. I think we should have the ambition to make the final 8 in 2026, because he should have a big advantage because we are hosting.
    I don’t think we have the talent to make the final 4. Look at how much more talent Portugal, Brazil, France, Spain have than the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    News today is that negotiations are underway to extend Berhalter’s contract to coach the USMNT. Hopefully, this is merely in recognition of a successful qualifying campaign and advancement from the WC Finals group stage. Hopefully, the USSF has greater ambitions for their team and their coach than what they accomplished during Berhalter’s time.
    The US was the only CONCACAF squad to advance, which is a better reflection of our talent than the third place we finished. I think we should have the ambition to make the final 8 in 2026, because he should have a big advantage because we are hosting.
    I don’t think we have the talent to make the final 4. Look at how much more talent Portugal, Brazil, France, Spain have than the USA.
    Van Gaal is a heck of a coach, and he coached circles around Berhalter. The US held their own with the exception of a few mistakes, and the Dutch made them pay for those mistakes.

In the next cycle you should have Pulisic, Aaronson, Reyna, Dest, McKinnie, Musa, Weah, Robinson, and Adams all in the prime of their careers. Couple that with a GK who should be starting on a top level European club, and you will have a very talented roster. Do you think GGG should be that guy ushering them into that next WC, on home soil? I know its beating a dead horse, but I no longer want to see guys like Zimmerman, Morris, Acosta, Wright, Ferrera, and Long take away minutes from guys who are flat out better and play against better competition year round. I mean good lord where would this club have been had a 35 year old Tim Ream step up and have a very good World Cup?

I want to see a coach who challenges players to face the best competition they can. I have no issue with starting your career in the MLS, its a fun brand of soccer to watch. But when you have the opportunity to go overseas, you have to capitalize on that. For example, Brandon Vasquez is a fun player to watch at FCC, and probably should have gotten a better shot to make the USMNT this WC, but the USMNT should strongly encourage him to head to Europe to improve his game.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Van Gaal is a heck of a coach, and he coached circles around Berhalter. The US held their own with the exception of a few mistakes, and the Dutch made them pay for those mistakes.

In the next cycle you should have Pulisic, Aaronson, Reyna, Dest, McKinnie, Musa, Weah, Robinson, and Adams all in the prime of their careers. Couple that with a GK who should be starting on a top level European club, and you will have a very talented roster. Do you think GGG should be that guy ushering them into that next WC, on home soil? I know its beating a dead horse, but I no longer want to see guys like Zimmerman, Morris, Acosta, Wright, Ferrera, and Long take away minutes from guys who are flat out better and play against better competition year round. I mean good lord where would this club have been had a 35 year old Tim Ream step up and have a very good World Cup?

I want to see a coach who challenges players to face the best competition they can. I have no issue with starting your career in the MLS, its a fun brand of soccer to watch. But when you have the opportunity to go overseas, you have to capitalize on that. For example, Brandon Vasquez is a fun player to watch at FCC, and probably should have gotten a better shot to make the USMNT this WC, but the USMNT should strongly encourage him to head to Europe to improve his game.
    There is a balance towards the whole “challenging the players” thing. Kilnsman did that and he was an absolutely horrendous coach who had no idea what he was doing and all the players hated.

I think the hate for Greggg is over the top. He’s done a good job and produced actual results and won trophies. But I don’t really want him to be the coach anymore. I’m fine if he wants to stay on through next summer, but it sounds like we are playing in the Copa in 2024 and we should have someone new for that and into the 2026 WC. I actually think top 8 there would be a bit of a failure. Four years is a long time, but our top guys now are going to be hitting their primes, we don’t have to cycle out anyone important and we are hosting which is a massive advantage.

My first call would be Roberto Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There is a balance towards the whole “challenging the players” thing. Kilnsman did that and he was an absolutely horrendous coach who had no idea what he was doing and all the players hated.

I think the hate for Greggg is over the top. He’s done a good job and produced actual results and won trophies. But I don’t really want him to be the coach anymore. I’m fine if he wants to stay on through next summer, but it sounds like we are playing in the Copa in 2024 and we should have someone new for that and into the 2026 WC. I actually think top 8 there would be a bit of a failure. Four years is a long time, but our top guys now are going to be hitting their primes, we don’t have to cycle out anyone important and we are hosting which is a massive advantage.

My first call would be Roberto Martinez.
    2018 was a failure of epic proportion. When you look back at it, could it have been a team in transition, where most of the successful players from the 2014 WC (and even 2010) were older and the younger generation just wasn't there yet.

Maybe I am naïve, but the absolute minimum of the USMNT should be to qualify for the World Cup. The investment and talent pool is the best (or second best to Mexico) in CONCACAF. When you look what Greggg did, is exactly what they should do. Did they overachieve at all? Is making the knock out stage something we shouldn't expect? Especially after the draw they got? So yea Greggg did a decent job, he took probably the most talented USMNT team of all time to the same place they were in 2010 and 2014 and then was out coached by Van Gaal.

I would have loved to see Roberto Martinez as the US coach, I do wonder if the shine is off him after Belgium's performance?

I think you need to have everything set going into the 2024 Copa tournament. It would have to be a pretty enticing job with all the young talent coming of age.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    2018 was a failure of epic proportion. When you look back at it, could it have been a team in transition, where most of the successful players from the 2014 WC (and even 2010) were older and the younger generation just wasn't there yet.

Maybe I am naïve, but the absolute minimum of the USMNT should be to qualify for the World Cup. The investment and talent pool is the best (or second best to Mexico) in CONCACAF. When you look what Greggg did, is exactly what they should do. Did they overachieve at all? Is making the knock out stage something we shouldn't expect? Especially after the draw they got? So yea Greggg did a decent job, he took probably the most talented USMNT team of all time to the same place they were in 2010 and 2014 and then was out coached by Van Gaal.

I would have loved to see Roberto Martinez as the US coach, I do wonder if the shine is off him after Belgium's performance?

I think you need to have everything set going into the 2024 Copa tournament. It would have to be a pretty enticing job with all the young talent coming of age.
    Getting out of the group is generally going to be considered a success for most teams outside of 5 or 6. Gregg has been successful in the sense he completed a successful rebuild and he did it right away. It wasn’t always pretty, but he did it. We have a young, talented, legit team now to launch into what is a very important 2026 tournament.

I’m not sure Gregg was outcoached by Van Gaal as much as the US was simply out experienced by the Netherlands. Thought the approach and tactics were fine, but if you make mistakes against a team like that, they are going to absolutely punish you…and they did. Chalk that more up to a lesson those guys hopefully learn.

Through Berhalter’s stewardship, we know we have a GK and a midfield that are world class. Now we need world class defenders and forwards/ attacking mids.
    For wing defenders, we have a few possible options, leading with Dest. For central defenders, we are really fortunate Ream played out of his mind, and I give Berhalter credit for playing him. But he’s old. We need to find few new good central defenders.
    For forwards, Berhalter never found guys who could score. Pulisic was already a factor. Berhalter has no clue about attacking soccer and attacking soccer players. He never unlocked Reyna or Aronson’s gifts. He didn’t even play them much. And as a result we missed having creative players and we needed more from that area.
    And he started Ferreira, who was Pepi’s backup, and never selected Pepi. This made no sense. And of course it didn’t work. Pepi has great potential and could be one of the answers for 2026, but he needs to continue to improve and he needs nurturing. Ferreira is what he is, a good MLS player, nothing more.
    We don’t need someone who is good at running a qualifying compaign (which Berhalter gets credit for ) because we co-host the tournament.
    We need to experiment with players to find the right players and right tactics for those players. I just don’t see Berhalter as being good at that.
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-07-2022 at 02:08 PM.

20. Likes:

dabvu2498 (12-07-2022),M2 (12-07-2022),RedTeamGo! (12-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?