Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

Re: 2022 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fortunately, Southgate isn't exactly a tactical genius either. It's probably going to be up to individual players to make plays. McKennie's the guy I've got my eye in terms of being a difference maker. On the flip side, I'm already preparing to put my head in my hands when Jordan Morris gets subbed in.
    You used Southgate and genius in the same sentence. That made me laugh. If it’s up to individual brilliance v England, we’re in trouble. Foden and Grealish are really skilled. We won’t be able to stop them. We have to rely on southgate playing Rashford, Sterling and others instead of the ManCity boys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Players I look forward to watching at WC2022:
    1. Giovanni Reyna
    2. Rafael Leao
    3. Paolo Dybala
    4. Vinicius Jr
    5. Raphinha
    6. Phil Foden
    7. Marco Livaja
    8. Piotr Zielinski
    9. Federico Valverde
    10. Alphonso Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    You used Southgate and genius in the same sentence. That made me laugh. If it’s up to individual brilliance v England, we’re in trouble. Foden and Grealish are really skilled. We won’t be able to stop them. We have to rely on southgate playing Rashford, Sterling and others instead of the ManCity boys.
    Foden and Grealish are definitely the two most dangerous players in that mix in terms of creating chances. However, the U.S. does have some high workrate guys who won't give them a ton of space. I'm thinking in particular of the U.S. not letting Grealish have the space to make his runs. Both teams have speed on the wings, which might cancel each other out, which is why I'm thinking it becomes a boxing match in the middle. That's where I like Adams, Musah and McKennie, Kind of wondering if they drop Aaronson in there to be the point on a diamond midfield.

What I mostly expect is a hideous, negative game where England probes in slow, predictable fashion and the U.S. tests the legs of the English defense on counters.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Players I look forward to watching at WC2022:
    1. Giovanni Reyna
    2. Rafael Leao
    3. Paolo Dybala
    4. Vinicius Jr
    5. Raphinha
    6. Phil Foden
    7. Marco Livaja
    8. Piotr Zielinski
    9. Federico Valverde
    10. Alphonso Davies
    Is Fonzie going to be healthy? If he is, then I've got Canada as a serious sleeper pick (might have the fastest counter in the world).

Nice pick on Zielinski. If they play him and Sabastian Szymanski (attacking mid who plays for Feyenoord), Poland could have itself a pretty dangerous attack. We know they've got a premium finisher.

Soccer-Beer to cost nearly $14 per half-litre inside Qatar's main World Cup fan zone - source

The beer price in the FIFA fan zone falls in line with relatively expensive prices hotel bars charge in the Gulf Arab state, where a beer also costs around 50 riyals per half-litre.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fif...ce/ar-AA149i0f
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...-of-qatar-2022

Don't bother looking for any US players, there aren't any.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

They all play for Man City
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

9. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (11-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

I’m not gonna say any Americans are in the top 50 (although some are around the fringes), but that list is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They all play for Man City
    You know that ManCity is owned by UAE, not Qatar? And you know that UAE and Qatar are different countries, right?
    And you know that those two countries have a lot of disputes and don’t get along very well, right?
    Qatar is a Bayern Munich sponsor and PSG owner.
    Any team that has Fly Emirates on their jersey is UAE sponsored (Arsenal, Real Madrid. Milan, etc) and any team that has Qatar Airways (Bayern, PSG, Boca Juniors, etc) on their jersey is Qatar sponsored .

https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/11/18...urnament-start

“Just two days before the start of the World Cup, Qatari organizers have banned the sale of alcoholic beverages at all of the tournament’s eight stadiums.”
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

lmao, they legit should just leave and have it in Germany or the US. What an absolute garbage World Cup this is going to be.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    lmao, they legit should just leave and have it in Germany or the US. What an absolute garbage World Cup this is going to be.
    I’m sure the soccer part will be fine, but man, going as a fan would be awful.

I’m just glad the next one is here.

15. Likes:

Chip R (11-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/11/18...urnament-start

“Just two days before the start of the World Cup, Qatari organizers have banned the sale of alcoholic beverages at all of the tournament’s eight stadiums.”
    The entire administration of this World Cup is going to be a mess. The Qataris are not prepared for what large numbers of Brazilians or Dutch are going to do (having massive amounts of fun, which is illegal in Qatar). And the English might get ornery if too many clamps get put on them. It is possible they might be more destructive when they're sober.

Don't even get me started on women. Don't be surprised if the Qataris are in the stands cracking down on women they deem to be inappropriate.

17. Likes:

Chip R (11-24-2022)

Seems like if they wanted to do this in the Middle East it should have been the UAE. I've had beers in the middle of the day outdoors in the UAE. They've got their issues (who doesn't?), but they seem much more willing to look the other way on foreigners doing things outside their cultural norms in order to extract money from said foreigners. I'm all for that.

Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?