Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Re: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Oh man have I got some bad news for you….
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is exactly how the Reds acquired Josh Hamilton a few years back. Someone else drafted him in the Rule 5, and traded him to the Reds.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You are forgetting Nick Senzel. Barrero is better than him. He can play SS - which Senzel can't do - and from what I've seen is a better defender in CF. Neither guy can hit, but Senzel is older and has used up a lot more of his opportunities than Barrero has. I have more hope that Barrero figures it out at the plate than I do Senzel. Senzel had enough time to show he can't play and he is the guy I'd cut loose for even a marginal position player improvement.
    I wasn't forgetting Nick Senzel, whom I'd figure out some way to unload. Jose Barrero OPSed .380 over the last month. Enough said. Interesting thing about this is the way the Giants did it. To set this up, you really have to think the guy can stick on your roster, yet they are loaded with outfielders, especially since the addition of Haniger. Makes you wonder if one of their outfielders is the PTBNL, maybe Luis Gonzalez. He's on the 40 but has an option.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I wasn't forgetting Nick Senzel, whom I'd figure out some way to unload. Jose Barrero OPSed .380 over the last month. Enough said. Interesting thing about this is the way the Giants did it. To set this up, you really have to think the guy can stick on your roster, yet they are loaded with outfielders, especially since the addition of Haniger. Makes you wonder if one of their outfielders is the PTBNL, maybe Luis Gonzalez. He's on the 40 but has an option.
    IIRC , the last time the Reds made a rule 5 pick and traded him, they got Josh VanMeter. Yea, the Reds won that trade, but VanMeter was just easily replaceable chaff.
    I expect the Reds will get someone similar in this trade.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Interesting thing about this is the way the Giants did it. To set this up, you really have to think the guy can stick on your roster, yet they are loaded with outfielders, especially since the addition of Haniger. Makes you wonder if one of their outfielders is the PTBNL, maybe Luis Gonzalez. He's on the 40 but has an option.
    Sabol has played more catcher than outfield, so they may be looking for him to win the backup catcher job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Tough to leave fans more pessimistic than last offseason, but somehow the reds are doing it. It’s so bad it’s sort of impressive.
    All we're missing is a Phil Castellini pep talk.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

9. Likes:

corkedbat (12-08-2022),REDREAD (12-08-2022),wally post (12-08-2022)

The sad part we have so many positions where just a replacement level players would imrove the team from last year.
    Last year fwar for position
    C -.7
    1B -1.2
    SS -.5
    CF -.8

11. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    The sad part we have so many positions where just a replacement level players would imrove the team from last year.
    C -.7
    1B -1.2
    SS -.5
    CF -.8
    And yet watching the games those don’t even necessarily feel like our weakest spots.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2022)

C -.7
    1B -1.2
    SS -.5
    CF -.8
    I promise you, the Reds have an answer as why all four positions are “going to be better” this year.

They’re going to say that C, 1B, and CF are “going to be better” because the starters are going to be “healthy.” SS is “going to be better” because the young starter is “working hard to get better” and “we traded for a ‘quality’ backup” just in case.

See … nothing to worry about!
    Last edited by MikeS21; 12-08-2022 at 04:46 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

15. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2022)

C -.7
    1B -1.2
    SS -.5
    CF -.8
    They just signed a decent backup catcher and obviously expect more than 50 games from Stephenson next year. They aren't getting a 1B with Votto still on the roster, but we might see CES sometime next year. We have one of the best SS prospects in baseball who could be ready next year, and they added Newman as a stopgap. Short term will be rough, but the upside coming from the minors is pretty promising.

CF has been a black hole for the last 5 years so that is the first of those four positions I would upgrade. I suspect we'll see the Reds go with several in house options and converted IF before they spend on a real CF. I would take a good SP over any position player upgrade right now.

17. Likes:

JustaFan (12-08-2022)

A look at Rule 5 selections approaching Opening Day Roster decisions (stats entering Thursday's play):

POS - Player - New Team & OD Outlook according to Fangraphs
    RHP - Andrew Politi - BAL & likely bullpen (has given up 4 ER in 8 Spring IP - 6H,2BB,8K)
    RHP - Nick Avila - CHW & likely bullpen (has given up 8 ER in 10 Spring IP - 9H,3BB,12K)
    RHP - Mason Englert - DET & likely bullpen (has given up 3 ER in 12 Spring IP - 7H,2BB,14K)
    RHP - Nic Enright - MIA & injured list (has yet to see action this Spring - Lymphoma)
    RHP - Gus Varland - MIL & likely bullpen (has given up 4 ER in 6.33 Spring IP - 8H,1BB,12K)
    RHP - Zach Greene - NYM & was returned to NYY (had given up 7 ER in 4.66 Spring IP - 6H,6BB,5K)
    1B - Ryan Noda - OAK & bench (has 7 hits in 53 Spring PA's - 22 K's)
    RHP - Noah Song - PHI & reserve list (has yet to see action this Spring - Military)
    LHP - José Hernández - PIT & likely bullpen (has given up 6 ER in 8.33 Spring IP - 11H,3BB,10K)
    LHP - José López - SDP & likely bullpen (has given up 6 ER in 5 Spring IP - 7H,4BB,5K)
    RHP - Chris Clarke - SEA & outside looking in (has given up 4 ER in 6.66 Spring IP - 8H,2BB,6K)
    OF - Blake Sabol - SFG & likely DH (has 13 hits in 49 Spring PA's - 10 BB's)
    RHP - Wilking Rodríguez - STL & injured list (has given up 3 ER in 6.33 Spring IP - 7H,3BB,6K - Shoulder)
    RHP - Kevin Kelly - TBR & likely bullpen (has given up 3 ER in 10.33 Spring IP - 8H,5BB,15K)
    RHP - Thad Ward - WSH & likely bullpen (has given up 4 ER in 9.66 Spring IP - 5H,6BB,12K)

19. Likes:

REDREAD (03-27-2023)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

The Giants made a shrewd move by acquiring Blake Sabol from the Reds right after the Rule 5 Draft for pitching prospect Jake Wong. Still under Rule 5 rules, the Giants need to keep Sabol on the big-league roster all season or offer him back to his previous team.

Sabol has done nothing but impress with his play this spring. As the competition at catcher has seemingly calmed down, with Joey Bart seemingly locked in as the starter with defensive-minded backup Roberto Pérez, Sabol has forced San Francisco to find a creative way to keep him around.

Sabol is making an impact with his bat, particularly his ability to work the count and generate hard contact. He's also showed some notable defensive improvements behind the plate. His ability to control the running game was certainly tested this spring given recent rule changes to increase base-stealing opportunities.

There are still plenty of kinks to get ironed out but Sabol has continued to look more and more like a passable catcher or corner outfielder in the big leagues, providing a valuable left-handed bat in the to contrast both Bart and Perez. With several Giants outfielders sidelined by injuries, Sabol should get an opportunity to keep hitting in the regular season before the Giants have to make any tough decisions about whether to retain him or send him back to the Reds or Pirates.

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/prospe...on-sean-hjelle

Looks like the Reds may have missed a real opportunity here.
    Last edited by malcontent; 03-24-2023 at 12:19 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

21. Likes:

REDREAD (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    A look at Rule 5 selections approaching Opening Day Roster decisions (stats entering Thursday's play):

POS - Player - New Team & OD Outlook according to Fangraphs
    RHP - Andrew Politi - BAL & likely bullpen (has given up 4 ER in 8 Spring IP - 6H,2BB,8K)
    RHP - Nick Avila - CHW & likely bullpen (has given up 8 ER in 10 Spring IP - 9H,3BB,12K)
    RHP - Mason Englert - DET & likely bullpen (has given up 3 ER in 12 Spring IP - 7H,2BB,14K)
    RHP - Nic Enright - MIA & injured list (has yet to see action this Spring - Lymphoma)
    RHP - Gus Varland - MIL & likely bullpen (has given up 4 ER in 6.33 Spring IP - 8H,1BB,12K)
    RHP - Zach Greene - NYM & was returned to NYY (had given up 7 ER in 4.66 Spring IP - 6H,6BB,5K)
    1B - Ryan Noda - OAK & bench (has 7 hits in 53 Spring PA's - 22 K's)
    RHP - Noah Song - PHI & reserve list (has yet to see action this Spring - Military)
    LHP - José Hernández - PIT & likely bullpen (has given up 6 ER in 8.33 Spring IP - 11H,3BB,10K)
    LHP - José López - SDP & likely bullpen (has given up 6 ER in 5 Spring IP - 7H,4BB,5K)
    RHP - Chris Clarke - SEA & outside looking in (has given up 4 ER in 6.66 Spring IP - 8H,2BB,6K)
    OF - Blake Sabol - SFG & likely DH (has 13 hits in 49 Spring PA's - 10 BB's)
    RHP - Wilking Rodríguez - STL & injured list (has given up 3 ER in 6.33 Spring IP - 7H,3BB,6K - Shoulder)
    RHP - Kevin Kelly - TBR & likely bullpen (has given up 3 ER in 10.33 Spring IP - 8H,5BB,15K)
    RHP - Thad Ward - WSH & likely bullpen (has given up 4 ER in 9.66 Spring IP - 5H,6BB,12K)

Nick Avila has been told he will not be making the CHW roster, will be placed on waivers

Chris Clarke has cleared waivers and been returned to the Cubs

23. Likes:

REDREAD (03-27-2023)

Jose Lopez has cleared waivers and been returned to the Rays

Nick Avila has cleared waivers and been returned to the Giants

Andrew Politi has cleared waivers and been returned to the Red Sox

- - - Updated - - -

5 of the original 15 picks have now been returned

Turn Off Ads?