Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Re: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    So are the Reds. He is absolutely the kind of pick I would want. And now that there are shorter injury times and 26-man rosters, having a third catcher could make sense for a team that should be strategic about Tyler Stephenson's potential.
    I am still haunted by Stuart Turner.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

CaiGuy (11-17-2022),Danny Serafini (11-17-2022),JustaFan (11-20-2022),Old school 1983 (11-19-2022),RedTeamGo! (11-17-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I am still haunted by Stuart Turner.
    I read this as "I am still hunted by Stuart Turner" and I was like "what kind of sick stuff is Tom into these days?"
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-17-2022),Tom Servo (11-17-2022)

Dodgers Jose Ramos

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 70 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

A bargain signing at $30,000 out of Panama in 2018, Ramos didn't get a change to play in the United States before last season. He made an immediate impression, homering twice with exit velocities of 111 and 114 mph in his first game in the Rookie-level Arizona Complex League. He needed just three weeks to earn a promotion to Low-A at age 20 and batted .329/.396/.577 with 11 homers in 62 games between the two stops.

Just 5-foot-11 and 150 pounds when he signed as a 17-year-old, Ramos has added two inches and 50 pounds since then and now resembles fellow Dodgers outfield prospect Andy Pages with his physicality and tools. Both offer well above-average raw power from the right side of the plate and arm strength to match. Ramos has an efficient swing and some feel to hit, though he'll need to tighten his strike zone and prove he can handle quality breaking balls at higher levels.

Though Ramos has lost some speed as he has gotten stronger, he's still an average runner with good instincts in the outfield. He spent most of his early career in center field but played solely in right field in Low-A, projecting as a solid defender on the corner. Baserunners have not had much success testing his arm, as he recorded 20 assists in his first 112 outfield starts.

Gabriel Martinez Blue jays, only 20,. but had some pop in his swing...

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Martinez signed with the Blue Jays out of Venezuela on his 16th birthday in July 2018 and actually got one Venezuelan Winter League at-bat in (he singled) before seeing a pro game for the first time. Young for his class, he’s been brought up slowly through the Toronto ranks -- the pandemic didn’t help -- and is finally enjoying his first full season with Single-A Dunedin this summer. He’s been a solid performer with the D-Jays and entered August with a .295/.356/.489 line, 10 homers and a 141 wRC+ in 61 games.

Standing at 6-foot, 170 pounds, Martinez shows an impressive ability to put the bat on the ball, sometimes going outside the zone to do so. Even then, he posts lower swinging-strike rates than most teenagers, and when he does make contact, he’s maxed out at 108.8 mph exit velocity, right up there with some Major Leaguers already. He’s likely to settle into just average power in the end, but combine that with a decent hit tool and there’s a solid offensive profile in the making here.

Martinez has split time between left and right field with Dunedin, and he’ll only continue to project as a corner outfielder with average at best speed as he matures. Now that he’s established a base full-season level of performance in his age-19 season, Martinez’s bat could push him into Toronto’s outfield picture within the next few years. He needs to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, or else be risked in the Rule 5 Draft, so that could affect his timeline.

8. Likes:

Mitri (11-20-2022)

Kameron Misner is an intriguing one. Really knows how to take a walk and can play a credible CF, especially in GABP.

I wonder if the Rule 5 draft will be the high point of excitement in the Reds offseason. Possibly only rivaled by signing of FAs to minor league deals in February.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-18-2022),fondfoat (11-21-2022),malcontent (11-18-2022),mth123 (11-17-2022),Red Raindog (11-18-2022),RED VAN HOT (11-17-2022),wally post (11-20-2022)

Some guys that I think are worth a look:

1) Victor Vodnik-RHRP (Braves)

2) Kameron Misner-OF (Rays)

3) Erik Miller-LHRP (Phillies)

4) Antonio Gomez-C (Yankees)

5) Josh Breaux-C (Yankees)

6) Jose Ramos-OF (Dodgers)

7) Jordyn Adams-OF (Angels)

-Any Of these guys could be stashed as the last RP or the 26th man off the bench. I actually think we will take 2 guys in the draft as they are better than what we saw in 2022 and they are cheap talent upgrades in the system

13. Likes:

mth123 (11-17-2022),NC Reds (11-18-2022)

Canzone and Vargas from the Dbacks look interesting. I'd try Canzone's bat over whatever we were attempting in LF this season. And Vargas has big stuff, even if he has no idea where it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Some guys that I think are worth a look:

1) Victor Vodnik-RHRP (Braves)

2) Kameron Misner-OF (Rays)

3) Erik Miller-LHRP (Phillies)

4) Antonio Gomez-C (Yankees)

5) Josh Breaux-C (Yankees)

6) Jose Ramos-OF (Dodgers)

7) Jordyn Adams-OF (Angels)

-Any Of these guys could be stashed as the last RP or the 26th man off the bench. I actually think we will take 2 guys in the draft as they are better than what we saw in 2022 and they are cheap talent upgrades in the system
    Yeah, and if they don't make the team out of ST, you just send them back.

There is plenty of room on the 40 man roster for a couple of picks if they are there.

16. Likes:

RedsRocker (11-18-2022)

I agree with picking two guys. Probably a pitcher and an OF. Schroomy looks like he has the right list. I don't think I'd mess with a guy whose only in A Ball though. I like Vodnik and Miller as pitching lotto tickets and Misner in the OF. I kind of hope they aim higher at Catcher rather than filling a spot in Rule 5.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Intrigued by Jordyn Adams. True CF with top of the line speed. Make him your 26th guy, defensive replacement and pinch runner with a start every now and then, especially against lefties. Goes back to AA/AAA in 2024 as a 24 year old. He times up well with the EDLC/Marte group if they can make the zigzaggy development path work. True CFs with great speed are hard to find.

Second pitcher on my list, after Vodnik, is Moises Lugo from SD. He's 23, has at least had two successful stints at AA. 2022 numbers at AA: 62.1/41 H/4 HR/34W/85K. Had a brief opportunity at AAA and struggled but threw 10 very good innings this fall in the Ariz. Fall league. The walks in the AA numbers need to come down but they're not ridiculously high for a reliever with a 12.3 K per 9 and the HR rate, at least at AA, looks really good for a potential GABP guy. Certainly worth a spring training look. Looks like a guy you could actually use out of the pen and I think that's key on this club--they can't afford a reliever just to mop up. Everybody's going to have to contribute to take the weight off the starters.

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-18-2022)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I suspect that we will have robo-umps by the time the Reds are relevant again. Also, the rule changes may boost the stolen base. So I would evaluate catchers more on bat and arm and zero percent on framing.
    Stick to your guns.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-18-2022),HokieRed (11-18-2022),Marc D (11-18-2022),mbgrayson (11-18-2022),RED VAN HOT (11-18-2022),REDREAD (11-20-2022),wally post (11-20-2022),westofyou (11-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I suspect that we will have robo-umps by the time the Reds are relevant again. .
    My fear is that we will have Frank Drebin as an ump before the time the Reds are relevant again.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

24. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-22-2022),Marc D (11-18-2022),sdwagers (11-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    My fear is that we will have Frank Drebin as an ump before the time the Reds are relevant again.
    Or worse still, Enrico Pallazzo.

26. Likes:

Marc D (11-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?