Or worse still, Enrico Pallazzo.
    Or worse still Angel Hernandez will still be an umpire.,
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Canzone and Vargas from the Dbacks look interesting. I'd try Canzone's bat over whatever we were attempting in LF this season. And Vargas has big stuff, even if he has no idea where it's going.
    Fraley put up over an .800 ops last year. LF is the only OF spot that seems completely covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Fraley put up over an .800 ops last year. LF is the only OF spot that seems completely covered.
    I was under the impression Fraley would be a RF going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Gabriel Martinez Blue jays, only 20,. but had some pop in his swing...

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Martinez signed with the Blue Jays out of Venezuela on his 16th birthday in July 2018 and actually got one Venezuelan Winter League at-bat in (he singled) before seeing a pro game for the first time. Young for his class, he’s been brought up slowly through the Toronto ranks -- the pandemic didn’t help -- and is finally enjoying his first full season with Single-A Dunedin this summer. He’s been a solid performer with the D-Jays and entered August with a .295/.356/.489 line, 10 homers and a 141 wRC+ in 61 games.

Standing at 6-foot, 170 pounds, Martinez shows an impressive ability to put the bat on the ball, sometimes going outside the zone to do so. Even then, he posts lower swinging-strike rates than most teenagers, and when he does make contact, he’s maxed out at 108.8 mph exit velocity, right up there with some Major Leaguers already. He’s likely to settle into just average power in the end, but combine that with a decent hit tool and there’s a solid offensive profile in the making here.

Martinez has split time between left and right field with Dunedin, and he’ll only continue to project as a corner outfielder with average at best speed as he matures. Now that he’s established a base full-season level of performance in his age-19 season, Martinez’s bat could push him into Toronto’s outfield picture within the next few years. He needs to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, or else be risked in the Rule 5 Draft, so that could affect his timeline.
    I like Martinez too. Kid can hit, good approach at the plate. Arm is graded high, so he presumably fits in RF. He’s very young but could be the outta nowhere gem of this RULE V DRAFT.

I was under the impression Fraley would be a RF going forward.
    Where did you hear that? Maybe I missed it.

Where did you hear that? Maybe I missed it.
    I was going by Fangraphs depth chart, which would have Friedl in left, Senzel in center, Fraley in right.

And either way, it doesn't change my core philosophy that this team needs bats in the outfield. Anyone we have currently playing left can play another spot if we get a LF with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I like Martinez too. Kid can hit, good approach at the plate. Arm is graded high, so he presumably fits in RF. He’s very young but could be the outta nowhere gem of this RULE V DRAFT.
    Martinez is really interesting. The combination of low K rate and fairly significant power augurs well for him at the higher levels. Only 64 K's in 389 PA, with 37XBH. Problem is he's only had 113 PA even at A+. Danger is you could really screw the kid's career up and he doesn't deserve that. He'd have to be absolutely phenomenal to hit anything at the major league level. I think you stay away but he's very intriguing. I wish he was in our system.

I was going by Fangraphs depth chart, which would have Friedl in left, Senzel in center, Fraley in right.

And either way, it doesn't change my core philosophy that this team needs bats in the outfield. Anyone we have currently playing left can play another spot if we get a LF with a bat.
    Oh. Totally agree with you there. I think Fraley/Fairchild is a nice platoon. Beyond that, the Reds need outfielders.

11. Likes:

podgejeff_ (11-20-2022)

Oh. Totally agree with you there. I think Fraley/Fairchild is a nice platoon. Beyond that, the Reds need outfielders.
    I don't mind Fraley as part of a platoon either, honestly.

They need a big run producer in RF and DH. (Or 1B. Or 2B. Or 3B. Or SS. Or C.)

They also need two relief arms, at least one of which in the back end.

And at least one SP. (But more likely two.)

13. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (11-22-2022),Old school 1983 (11-22-2022)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    My fear is that we will have Frank Drebin as an ump before the time the Reds are relevant again.
    You’re onto a great idea for increasing viewership. Replace home plate umps with world-class physical comedians, and let them clown pantomime the ball/strike calls that the computer whispers into their earbuds.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    You’re onto a great idea for increasing viewership. Replace home plate umps with world-class physical comedians, and let them clown pantomime the ball/strike calls that the computer whispers into their earbuds.
    Al Schact says hi

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Ahhh, The Ministry of Silly Umps is born.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-22-2022)

Dogs. They should hire the dogs that the umpires use to find their way to the ballpark.

Seriously, rule 5 can give the team some useful depth. With pitchers, I'd look for low walk rates, high ground ball rates, the ability to generate weak contact and durability. With OF I'd look for defense, high walk rate, lots of hard contact, and healty. As for catchers I'd say no. I want someone to help develop the kid pitchers.

I'm just posting this link as a resource regarding the top prospects available.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draf...eline-coverage

21. Likes:

Gallen5862 (11-26-2022),HokieRed (11-25-2022)

Rule 5 prospects to keep an eye on
    In talking to people at the Winter Meetings, we've gotten a sense of who might get selected, starting with this group of potential draftees. Their top 30 rankings are in parentheses when warranted.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-pros...eline-coverage

Turn Off Ads?