Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Farmer traded to the Twins

Re: Kyle Farmer traded to the Twins

Reds trade Kyle Farmer to Twins for minor league pitcher

Facing a potential $6 million decision with infielder Kyle Farmer, who is eligible for arbitration this offseason, the Cincinnati Reds traded him to the Minnesota Twins for minor league pitcher Casey Legumina on Friday.

It’s another popular player who departs the Reds, a team coming off a 100-loss season and still leaning heavily into a rebuild. The deal comes on the same day as MLB's deadline to guarantee contracts for the 2023 season.

From the Reds’ perspective, the trade clears some salary for other potential additions and frees up an infield spot with some of their top shortstop prospects pushing for playing time in the major leagues. Jose Barrero and Spencer Steer finished the 2022 season in the big leagues while Elly De La Cruz and Matt McLain ended the year in Double-A.

The 32-year-old Farmer became a clubhouse leader for the Reds after they had several trade departures over the last calendar year. He was initially considered the throw-in piece in a seven-player trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers that netted Yasiel Puig, Alex Wood and Matt Kemp, but he had the biggest impact with the Reds and spent four seasons in the organization.

"Heart and soul of our team," Reds second baseman Jonathan India tweeted, "love you bro."
    continue reading here:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a/69656888007/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So who is the Opening Day shortstop?
    Barrero and his 300 strike outs.

Easy 110 losses next season. Not that Farmer mattered much. But I said next season would have more losses than 2022 during this past season. This organization just does not want to win. Period.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2022),UK Reds Fan (11-20-2022)

Best of luck and thanks for that everyday effort.

6. Likes:

HokieRed (11-18-2022),REDREAD (11-19-2022)

If I’m Votto, I’m asking for a Reds exit. I’ve never seen a weaker Reds team. And I’ve seen a lot of suckitude.

Boy oh boy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-18-2022),Redsfan6272 (11-19-2022),Ron Madden (11-18-2022)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

6 million for Farmer is a fair price. He’s worth it.

Handing the keys to a guy in Barrero who might strike out 300 times in a season.

No, the loss of Farmer won’t mean they aren’t going to win next year. They weren’t doing that either way.

But it does show that they have no intention of improving this team.

I’m trying to convince myself it’s worth watching because of Greene, Lodolo, DLC, Marte, etc. But they’ll be dealt if and when they become stars.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2022),UK Reds Fan (11-20-2022)

So the Reds basically traded Kyle Farmer for Kevin Newman and Casey Legumina. They also saved around $3M.

Seems like a decent, if insignificant move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    But it does show that they have no intention of improving this team.
    This move alone tells us very little. If they don’t spend the money saved on Farmer, that tells us they aren’t interested in improving the team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

Gallen5862 (11-20-2022)

Seems like 2023 is going to be an extended tryout.

Barrero gets first shot at shortstop. Hopefully his hamate is ok and his bat returns. It’s a worthwhile shot. Get busy living or get busy dying.

14. Likes:

Chip R (11-28-2022),RedsRocker (11-18-2022),Ron Madden (11-18-2022),SunDeck (11-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Mark Sheldon says Kevin Newman coming from the Pirates.
    Newman stinks. I’d rather have the Farm dog. Man…
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2022)

Seems like 2023 is going to be an extended tryout.

Barrero gets first shot at shortstop. Hopefully his hamate is ok and his bat returns. It’s a worthwhile shot. Get busy living or get busy dying.
    He didn't have a bat at the MLB level before he broke his hamate. And a broken hamate isn't a reason to swing at unhittable pitches.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    So the Reds basically traded Kyle Farmer for Kevin Newman and Casey Legumina. They also saved around $3M.

Seems like a decent, if insignificant move.
    I don't disagree, provided that money goes towards other additions rather than straight into Castellini's pocket. Zero expectation of it going anywhere else though and they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

The question they have to ask themselves is would $3 mil in savings be worth it to once again alienate casual fans?

When you have a plan, make additions and show the fan base you're committed to winning, getting rid of "fan favorites" is a minor issue. When you spend the last couple years unloading as much payroll as possible and treat the fan base like garbage (looking at you especially, Phil), all you're doing is driving them away.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2022)

If I’m Votto, I’m asking for a Reds exit. I’ve never seen a weaker Reds team. And I’ve seen a lot of suckitude.

Boy oh boy.
    Agreed. This is probably the weakest offense either one of us has seen and we've been watching since early- mid 60's

21. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (11-19-2022)

I’m not sure I’m cut out to be a Reds fan any more. Not that Farmer was all that great. But he was a reasonable facsimile thereof of a MLB player. And had a little Reds history. I used to know the Reds roster and their stats and the minor league teams. But any more, they come and go in a seemingly endless stream of faceless guys that are here today and gone tomorrow.

I think I need to go visit uncle Woodford.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (11-19-2022),Wonderful Monds (11-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Newman stinks. I’d rather have the Farm dog. Man…
    I'd rather have Newman without Moreta than Farmer with Moreta.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I’m not sure I’m cut out to be a Reds fan any more. Not that Farmer was all that great. But he was a reasonable facsimile thereof of a MLB player. And had a little Reds history. I used to know the Reds roster and their stats and the minor league teams. But any more, they come and go in a seemingly endless stream of faceless guys that are here today and gone tomorrow.

I think I need to go visit uncle Woodford.
    This is the beginning of the offseason. The Reds will likely be bad this year, however, the team on opening day will be different from what it is now. I wouldn't make any judgements based on the current roster.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

One of my favorite Reds over the past few years.

Best of luck in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

27. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-18-2022),Roy Tucker (11-18-2022),Tom Servo (11-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?