Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I loathe Kevin Newman

Re: I loathe Kevin Newman

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Isn’t that the same as Farmer?
    Third time now:

If used properly, Farmer is a really nice piece for a club that's looking to compete.

He kills southpaws and is solid with the glove from C, 2B, 3B, and SS.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    I dread hearing Sadak say “Newman” in the Seinfeld way every night
    my first thought when I heard this as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Third time now:

If used properly, Farmer is a really nice piece for a club that's looking to compete.

look I love Farmer as much as anyone... he's got about 20 games (75% with the Reds at C in MLB and none since 2019 ... he is not a C anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

5. Likes:

JCM11 (11-19-2022),NebraskaRed (11-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    look I love Farmer as much as anyone... he's got about 20 games (75% with the Reds at C in MLB and none since 2019 ... he is not a C anymore.
    Fourth time:

He's good against southpaws and can play 2B, SS, 3B, and C.

That the Reds have chosen not to play him there doesn't mean he can't-- or wouldn't be valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Seems the Reds have some circular logic going.

“We aren’t going to be very good, so let’s not sign any good players”. And then when they don’t succeed, they say “see, I told you so, we suck”.
    This is Bad Organization/Corporation 101.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-19-2022 at 03:57 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

NM
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I never knew Tom Servo was Jerry Seinfeld's burner account
    This brings up another positive about this move: John Sadak will get the make the “NEWman” Seinfeld joke significantly more often.

It’s the little things.

10. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (11-19-2022)

Third time now:

400th time now. The reds aren't looking to compete. They don't have the pitching and they don't have the offense. They are hoping to turn the page and move to competitiveness by playing kids now. The first wave of the IF will be Votto, India, Barrero and Steer. Farmer is just in the way if he's on the team for $6 Million. The motivation would be to play him a lot more than they should in an effort to generate deadline interest. They need a cheaper more defensive, clear reserve option behind those guys. Later EDLC, CES and McLain will be arriving. Any role Farmer may have had, will just continue to shrink and he wouldn't be a trade piece in July as a guy playing caddy to a bunch of kids.

Finally, he hasn't caught in eons. I don't think anyone making those decisions shares the opinion about his ability to Catch.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-19-2022)

400th time now. The reds aren't looking to compete. They don't have the pitching and they don't have the offense. They are hoping to turn the page and move to competitiveness by playing kids now.
    Kevin Newman isn't a kid.

EDLC and company are at least half a season away, and Farmer could have been dealt to a contender for more then. (And playing, as intended, his numbers would have been more than acceptable. Again, that 837 OPS v. LH pitching is over his entire career.)

It's not about "playing the kids." That's the BS you're swallowing whole.

It's ONLY about saving money.

That's it.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-20-2022)

Kevin Newman isn't a kid.

EDLC and company are at least half a season away, and Farmer could have been dealt to a contender for more then. (And playing, as intended, his numbers would have been more than acceptable. Again, that 837 OPS v. LH pitching is over his entire career.)

It's not about "playing the kids." That's the BS you're swallowing whole.

It's ONLY about saving money.

That's it.
    Where does Farmer play if he's here? The IF will be Votto, India, Barrero and Steer. Newman will be the MI Reserve same as Farmer would have been. When those kids arrive, it will only reduce that role even further.

This idea that if only Farmer were used correctly that his value would skyrocket and contending teams would give up something good for him is based on nothing.

Where does Farmer play if he's here? The IF will be Votto, India, Barrero and Steer. Newman will be the MI Reserve same as Farmer would have been. When those kids arrive, it will only reduce that role even further.
    He plays against LH pitching at 2B, SS, 3B, or C. He's also played 1B credibly.

With a career 837 OPS, he could also be acceptable in CF, RF, or LF, should they wish to try him there. That's an acceptable OPS for a DH too, but he's got a good glove, so it'd probably be better to give him the glove and tell Votto, Stephenson, or Fraley to rest a bit and let him field.

That's six positions for sure and perhaps three more. Now, I'm not a math whiz, but I'm pretty sure that's every one of the offensive spots, mth. And while I'm certainly not a major league manager, I'm guessing I could find PAs for a guy who mashes lefties consistently and has a solid glove everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    This idea that if only Farmer were used correctly that his value would skyrocket and contending teams would give up something good for him is based on nothing.
    Nope, not letting you create a straw man here.

Let's be clear.

FIFTH TIME:

Kyle Farmer, if used correctly, is a career 837 OPS hitter against LH pitching.
    He's a consistently good glove across a wide variety of positions.

If used properly, Kyle Farmer could be used for half a season by the Reds and, because his numbers would be solid, could garner more than what they received for him last night-- a failed AA starter looking to reignite his career in the bullpen.

Now back to your regularly scheduled BS about how this is a great move because it save millionaires three million dollars...

Nope, not letting you create a straw man here.

Let's be clear.

FIFTH TIME:

Kyle Farmer, if used correctly, is a career 837 OPS hitter against LH pitching.
    He's a consistently good glove across a wide variety of positions.

If used properly, Kyle Farmer could be used for half a season by the Reds and, because his numbers would be solid, could garner more than what they received for him.

Now back to your regularly scheduled BS about how this is a great move because it save millionaires three million dollars...
    I don't know who you're arguing with but I've never said any of that.

If your notion of Farmer's value is what you claim it is, how come no other team pursued him? I think it's pretty clear that the Reds shopped Farmer around before and apparently didn't get an offer they felt was worth it. Why not? Do you understand something about Farmer that no other team understands?

He plays against LH pitching at 2B, SS, 3B, or C. He's also played 1B credibly.

With a career 837 OPS, he could also be acceptable in CF, RF, or LF, should they wish to try him there. That's an acceptable OPS for a DH too, but he's got a good glove, so it'd probably be better to give him the glove and tell Votto, Stephenson, or Fraley to rest a bit and let him field.

That's six positions for sure and perhaps three more. Now, I'm not a math whiz, but I'm pretty sure that's every one of the offensive spots, mth. And while I'm certainly not a major league manager, I'm guessing I could find PAs for a guy who mashes lefties consistently and has a solid glove everywhere.
    Which other RH bat sits against LHP? Steer? India? Barrero? You want to find out about these guys, you certainly don't sit them when they have the platoon advantage. If you want to pay $6 Million for a RH caddy for Votto, you're probably the only one.

So by the deadline, he'd get 25 or so starts. That isn't increasing his trade value. I also disagree about his defensive value. He's pretty decent at 3B, adequate at SS, well below average at 2b and completely abandoned catching. The Reds replaced him with a stronger MI defender which is what they need behind these guys right now and with the shift going away.

This is a tempest in a teapot IMO. There are so many other things to hate the Reds ownership and GM for, but this isn't one of them IMO. I think its the right move.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-19-2022 at 05:38 PM.

21. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (11-19-2022),NebraskaRed (11-19-2022),Old school 1983 (11-19-2022),texasdave (11-19-2022)

Turn Off Ads?