Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning Infield Shifts Will Change MLB

Re: Banning Infield Shifts Will Change MLB

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm optimistic as well. In fact, I think the Reds may invoke his option and bring him back in 2024.
    I share your optimism here. I also think that even the cheapskate Reds will have a hard time not invoking the option irrespective of what kind of 2023 Joey has.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm wondering if hitters will see more fastballs as a result of the slight encouragement given to base stealers. And then what effect that will have on hitting. The rule makers may have unintentionally added to the length of games if one response to the base enlargement is an increase in pitchers' throwing to first base more often.

4. Likes:

Wayne Krivsky (11-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RollyInRaleigh View Post
    I think you may see some infielders being exposed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Family board.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-08-2023),OGB (02-06-2023),Wayne Krivsky (11-28-2022)

I've read that some teams might play their LFer in short RF vs some LHHs
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-28-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm wondering if hitters will see more fastballs as a result of the slight encouragement given to base stealers. And then what effect that will have on hitting. The rule makers may have unintentionally added to the length of games if one response to the base enlargement is an increase in pitchers' throwing to first base more often.
    They can only throw to a base a couple of times per hitter before the runner automatically gets to go to the next base.

In the minors, that led to several more SB attempts (though not as many as you'd think) and helped lead to shorter games.

Here's what's going to drive me crazy, when a team knows exactly where someone is going to hit a ball and they can't put a defender there.

10. Likes:

mth123 (11-28-2022)

Lower the mound, if we are going to be purists go all in

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They can only throw to a base a couple of times per hitter before the runner automatically gets to go to the next base.

In the minors, that led to several more SB attempts (though not as many as you'd think) and helped lead to shorter games.
    Thanks, I didn't realize there were going to be limits on throwovers. Actually I suspect the effect on stealing will be minimal. It's just not a big enough change and doesn't alter the most important variable, speed of the pitcher to the plate. Will be interesting to see if you see more work from some of the slower pitchers on slide step and other means to release quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Here's what's going to drive me crazy, when a team knows exactly where someone is going to hit a ball and they can't put a defender there.
    They can still put a defender there. They can even put 2 defenders there. They just can’t put 3 or 4 there.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-06-2023),cincinnati chili (12-11-2022),OGB (02-06-2023),Wonderful Monds (11-28-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They can still put a defender there. They can even put 2 defenders there. They just can’t put 3 or 4 there.
    Yeah as noted, this is something that’s regulated in sports, all the time.

In football, they know where the ball is going to be snapped every single time too. But they’re not allowed to line up offsides and immediately sack the QB as soon as they touch the ball, because the sport would be miserable to watch if that’s how it was played.

16. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-06-2023),Crumbley (11-30-2022),HammerTime (02-08-2023),Kinsm (11-28-2022),OGB (02-06-2023),RedsBaron (02-08-2023),RollyInRaleigh (11-29-2022)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Why would we see more bunts and steals?

Because of banning the shift?

I get more steals because of the new pick-off rules and larger bases.

Why bunts?
    I agree
    The shift should have encouraged more bunts in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-28-2022),RollyInRaleigh (11-29-2022)

Cubs Hitters Happy With New Rules Implemented by MLB

Major League Baseball will implement rules during the 2023 MLB season that will cause the game to look a little bit different. Perhaps the most high-profile rule is the banning of the defensive shift.

The new rule states that there must be two infielders on either side of second base with their feet on the infield dirt. No more third basemen patrolling right field.

For some of the Chicago Cubs left-handed hitters there is jubilation over the new rule implementation.

Players such as Eric Hosmer, Ian Happ, and Cody Bellinger will be some of the biggest beneficiaries writes Jordan Bastian at Cubs.com

“I think a lot of us are really looking forward to that," said Hosmer. "It just kind of seems like there’s going to be more hits out there for guys. There’s no worse feeling than hitting the ball hard up the middle and seeing the shortstop standing right there. So maybe this could be better for the offensive player, especially the left-handed hitter.”

Bellinger, who is on a one-year "prove it" deal, stands to gain the most from this new setup.

“I don't know exactly how the infields are going to look now,” new Cubs center fielder Cody Bellinger said. “I know that's probably what we'll knock out Spring Training, getting used to it. But, it's definitely exciting, as a left-handed hitter.”
    https://www.si.com/mlb/cubs/news/chi...mplemented-mlb

I think there were pitches that hitters would take because they couldn't elevate that pitch. It's harder to launch a low pitch. So we may also see different at bats and pitching strategies. I'm not sure what overall effects this new dynamic might have.

I would think ground balls would go down and strikeouts would go up.

Reason being, the shift was a partial answer to the analytics that caused the game to be a home run derby. Prior to the shift, the extra advantage to trying to hit a home run by pulling everything meant, if you didn't catch if flush off your bat, you might still pull it between the 1st and 2nd baseman. Once the shift flooded the game, that option was reduced immensely and you would've hoped that there at least some smart players that did the math and realized they should try and get hits without pulling the ball. Which would encourage less Ks which in turn would increase ground outs. Now that the pulled grounder has a better chance to go threw a hole, trying for the home run becomes more lucrative and we should get less contact.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I've read that some teams might play their LFer in short RF vs some LHHs
    That's it. Chain all fielders on the teams that try that to posts. Provide enough chain length to cover most if not all ground.

The inside-the-park home runs given up will serve them right, and the fans will love it.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

23. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-05-2023)

Turn Off Ads?