Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Fred Brooks, Software/Hardware Systems Pioneer

RIP Fred Brooks, Software/Hardware Systems Pioneer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Brooks

Can't post this without this (Brooks named his first born after Iverson and brought Iverson aboard the Dream Team at IBM):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_E._Iverson

The IBM 360/System family of mainframes and the subsequent OS/360 support software resulted from their inspirations.

It was Brooks that came up with the idea to go from a 6-bit byte to an 8-bit byte, and as Paul Harvey used to say,..."and the rest is history".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-22-2022 at 06:34 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Fred Brooks, Software/Hardware Systems Pioneer

I've never heard of him, will check him out on YT. I've been going through Stroustrup's C++ book, did a recursion exercise the other day, about to start learning about Try/Catch statements. Honestly, other than just learning about C++ I'm not sure why I'm doing the book haha. I've got tons of other books that will much more quickly lead to doing practical projects (kanban, blood pressure recorder).
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-23-2022)

When I was going to grad school at Wright State from 1977-1980, I worked on an IBM 360/65 running OS 360/MVT. Learned FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, and a few other languages. It also ran a PDP-11 assembler emulator. Spent a lot of time on the card punch and submitting said card decks. I still remember some JCL. This all fell off my resume a few years back.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When I was going to grad school at Wright State from 1977-1980, I worked on an IBM 360/65 running OS 360/MVT. Learned FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, and a few other languages. It also ran a PDP-11 assembler emulator. Spent a lot of time on the card punch and submitting said card decks. I still remember some JCL. This all fell off my resume a few years back.
    And, I'm certain you can still feel the chill and temperature of the room as you spent so many hours in it.

I got to where I could "punch" 85 words per minute with only a mistake on 7 cards per 1000. Hearing the punch was as important as feeling the punch that let me get into a rhythm that limited errors. I spent 40 hours per week just in the computer room doing jobs for the 350, 360 and later 370. Never did learn Fortran, but I was pretty good at COBOL I/II/III, Assembler I/II/III (which was my favorite), RPG II and III, along with Easytrieve.

My closets at home were filled from floor to ceiling with jobs (stacks of cards), so that I could pull macros that I didn't want to have to retype for other jobs.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-23-2022 at 10:35 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I still have the 9 track tape reels in my basement that I backed up my programs to. I have no idea where I could find a 9 track tape reader though. And I’d probably laugh at the code.

The research institute I worked for had a PDP-11/45. We eventually got an SNA link to the mainframe. I could could edit my JCL and code on the PDP and route it over SNA to get submitted on the 360. Beat the hell out of sitting over in the computer center and punch out the card deck. I was (and am) a terrible typist so a full screen editor was a godsend.

That was the end of my mainframe days. Wasn’t my thing. Became a mini computer, networking, and a UNIX guy. Haven’t written any code since about 2005. Just retired June of this year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I still have the 9 track tape reels in my basement that I backed up my programs to. I have no idea where I could find a 9 track tape reader though. And I’d probably laugh at the code.

The research institute I worked for had a PDP-11/45. We eventually got an SNA link to the mainframe. I could could edit my JCL and code on the PDP and route it over SNA to get submitted on the 360. Beat the hell out of sitting over in the computer center and punch out the card deck. I was (and am) a terrible typist so a full screen editor was a godsend.

That was the end of my mainframe days. Wasn’t my thing. Became a mini computer, networking, and a UNIX guy. Haven’t written any code since about 2005. Just retired June of this year.
    Yes. Was so very happy when the full-screen editors came along. I wasted a lot of my life punching cards. I mean, the speed on the typing was still the same, but I didn't have to wait to run a batch of cards to find my clerical mistakes before I could work on coding mistakes. The time for completing a program was reduced to a day instead of 3 or 4 days.

11. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-25-2022)

The last time I was around any "mainframe" stuff was in 1998. All I can remember was running commands in a terminal, and every so often would have to retrieve tape drives and insert tape drives. They had microfiche readers. I remember we'd have to call the "analyst" overnight who was on call and they would run COBOL commands. Not long after that I was taking Visual Basic in college, and C++. I remember that beautiful Visual Studio 6.0 box (???). Those were the good old days for me. I miss them
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-25-2022),Roy Tucker (11-25-2022)

Turn Off Ads?