Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Who Can Reds Bring In As Back Up Catcher?

Re: Who Can Reds Bring In As Back Up Catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My issue with this signing is that Maile is a true back-up catcher like Bill Plummer, Mike O'Berry or Don Werner. This team, with a primary catcher who has some injury history and during a time where the DH spot is going to provide quite a bit of his overall PT, needed more than a pure back-up. They needed more of a tandem guy. This situation isn't Johnny Bench and Bill Plummer. It should be more like Johnny Edwards and Don Pavletich or even Joe Oliver and Jeff Reed. Maile shouldn't be a guy who starts 60 to 70 games each year, but that's how the reds will be using hin.

I appreciate the squinting people are doing to try and see something positive out of this, but it's not enough for what this team needs.
    Only problem is, the Don Pavletiches and Jeff Reeds of today's game are landing starting gigs. (Or at least getting paid like they are starters.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My issue with this signing is that Maile is a true back-up catcher like Bill Plummer, Mike O'Berry or Don Werner. This team, with a primary catcher who has some injury history and during a time where the DH spot is going to provide quite a bit of his overall PT, needed more than a pure back-up. They needed more of a tandem guy. This situation isn't Johnny Bench and Bill Plummer. It should be more like Johnny Edwards and Don Pavletich or even Joe Oliver and Jeff Reed. Maile shouldn't be a guy who starts 60 to 70 games each year, but that's how the reds will be using hin.

I appreciate the squinting people are doing to try and see something positive out of this, but it's not enough for what this team needs.
    A few thoughts:

I think the team plans to use Stephenson primarily as a C. He’ll get a few DH starts, but will likely be played so much at C he’ll need the rest on his off days.

If Maile’s defense is solid (ie he handles the young staff well) this signing is fine. The primary focus of 2023 should be bringing along the young pitching. This guy can help do that.

If Stephenson hits the DL for an extended period of time, I don’t see a different C out there who makes a difference enough to keep this team afloat. I actually like Yang and am intrigued by what he can bring.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-30-2022)

The reds probably had the best available catcher insurance available with Kyle Farmer and he hadn't done any catching since the pandemic hit.
    Curt Casali probably was the best free agent available and the delta between he and Maile is pretty much not worth bothering about.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

NM
    Last edited by klw; 11-30-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

And another point, to expect Stevenson and Maile to be healthy all year and be the only catchers for 162 games is just stupid. They need another catcher of Maile's ilk to be in the system, even if he starts at AAA.
    Where we gonna go?

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    And another point, to expect Stevenson and Maile to be healthy all year and be the only catchers for 162 games is just stupid. They need another catcher of Maile's ilk to be in the system, even if he starts at AAA.
    Exactly, I expect another older guy and a couple ML catcher's to be invited to ST. There are more pitchers than than any other position player in baseball, you need catchers to work them out.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (11-30-2022),Ron Madden (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I agree. The Reds need to assume that Stephenson will miss at least 50 games a season due to health. I don’t care about offense from the third string catcher, but they need to be able to handle the young pitching staff well. I’d be happy with re-signing Romine.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

From Nightengale Twitter:

Luke Maile on hearing from everyone after signing with his hometown Reds: “It's been a really, really cool 24 hours here. It's really difficult to put into words.”

Also in the story, GM Nick Krall isn’t ruling out signing another catcher in free agency.
    Of course, not ruling out signing another catcher is not the same as say they intend to.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Like Stephenson, Maile is a right-handed hitter. Krall did not rule out the Reds adding a third catcher to the roster that is a lefty or switch-hitter.

“There is a chance. We've got a DH spot and you can mix and match,” Krall said. “You can always, with that extra roster spot over the last year, it is something that's a little bit different. You could work with three catchers, especially with the DH.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-s...-one-year-deal

If half the starting lineup are replacement level hitters, you might as well put TySteve at DH and get a better defensive catcher.

I'm guessing even that is more thought than anyone in the front office gave to it.

More likely is, they are all trying to get every turd wrapped into a nice bow, so they don't have to even think about the Reds until February.

I feel so bad for this once proud franchise and its fans. They are the Breyers Ice Cream of MLB. The K-Mart. These aren't the Cincinnati Reds. This is a Cincinnati Reds cover band. And a ****ty one at that.
    Shame on the entire group of owners.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Not a great idea to sign another MLB backup catcher in addition to Maile. Four man bench doesn’t need two catchers, likely non-hitters. Another catcher is a AAA thing, get someone in the wings.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-30-2022 at 01:18 PM.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-30-2022),Ron Madden (11-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?