Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Can Reds Bring In As Back Up Catcher?

Re: Who Can Reds Bring In As Back Up Catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds need a catcher who can ably start games when Stephenson doesn’t. And who can help the Reds rest Stephenson more and use Tyler as DH (or possibly first baseman) more often. Somebody good enough to play starting catcher fairly frequently, that is.

You keep saying this, but Tyler's entire value is that he's a good hitter for a catcher. If he's not going to catch a whole bunch, either because you think he's too injury prone or whatever, the Reds should trade him this off-season. He's just another guy if he isn't catching. If the plan isn't to catch him 130 games, trade him.

2. Likes:

Crumbley (11-28-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    You keep saying this, but Tyler's entire value is that he's a good hitter for a catcher. If he's not going to catch a whole bunch, either because you think he's too injury prone or whatever, the Reds should trade him this off-season. He's just another guy if he isn't catching. If the plan isn't to catch him 130 games, trade him.
    Only J.T. Realmuto (133) caught 130+ games last year. There were only 13 other catchers in MLB who caught 100+ games, and only six of them caught 110+ games. Nobody else caught more than 116 games.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-28-2022),cumberlandreds (11-28-2022),HokieRed (11-27-2022),Jaysland Red (11-27-2022),Kc61 (11-28-2022)

I’m being realistic about how many games to expect from Tyler behind the plate.

He’s had multiple concussions, was out most of last year. 130 games for him behind the plate is unrealistic.

The best way to use him is 100 games behind the plate, and some DH time. Even that might be pushing it slightly.

That’s still a player worth having. But you need another catcher too.

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Only J.T. Realmuto (133) caught 130+ games last year. There were only 13 other catchers in MLB who caught 100+ games, and only six of them caught 110+ games. Nobody else caught more than 116 games.
    One of the reasons why is that the vast majority of catchers can't hit, so there's no reason to play them a bunch. Stephenson can hit, so they need to play him like he's JT Realmuto.

One of the reasons why is that the vast majority of catchers can't hit, so there's no reason to play them a bunch. Stephenson can hit, so they need to play him like he's JT Realmuto.
    If Stephenson can hit, then there should be no problem moving him to DH for some of the season.

Stephenson Career: wRC+ - 119, wOBA - .356
    League Average DH in 22: wRC+ - 107, wOBA - .320
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Stephenson can hit, then there should be no problem moving him to DH for some of the season.

Stephenson Career: wRC+ - 119, wOBA - .356
    League Average DH in 22: wRC+ - 107, wOBA - .320

This is one of the only areas the Reds can stay above average. Get a league average DH and Stephenson playing 130 games at catcher, and you're way better off than having Stephenson split time at DH with a crappy backup at catcher.

I don't know for sure but I think what LeatherPants is saying is...

Most of Stephenson's value is that he's a "Good Hitting Catcher."

Now days there just aren't that many good hitting catchers, the ones that can hit are starters.

When you start TySteve at DH it means you have to start someone who isn't a good hitter behind the plate, weakening your lineup.

I believe that's what LeatherPants is saying and it does make some sense.

12. Likes:

LeatherPants (11-28-2022),Revering4Blue (11-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't know for sure but I think what LeatherPants is saying is...

Most of Stephenson's value is that he's a "Good Hitting Catcher."

Now days there just aren't that many good hitting catchers, the ones that can hit are starters.

When you start TySteve at DH it means you have to start someone who isn't a good hitter behind the plate, weakening your lineup.

I believe that's what LeatherPants is saying and it does make some sense.
    Exactly right.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-28-2022)

Was just reading Ken Rosenthal's latest hot stove article on The Athletic and there's a big section about how weak the catcher position is. There are like 10 teams looking for a catcher and basically nobody who can hit on the market. There basically only ~10-12 catchers who contribute value with their bat. Having a backup C with a .600 OPS is nearly a luxury.

If Stephenson can stay at C and stay healthy, it gives the Reds a very nice edge over most teams. It's not an advantage I'd give up lightly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-29-2022),LeatherPants (11-28-2022),Old school 1983 (11-28-2022),Ron Madden (11-28-2022)

This is one of the only areas the Reds can stay above average. Get a league average DH and Stephenson playing 130 games at catcher, and you're way better off than having Stephenson split time at DH with a crappy backup at catcher.
    That’s a different argument from “Stephenson is “just a guy” at DH. He’s not “just a guy” at DH. He would be one of the best in the game.

Last year, Stephenson was the 18th best hitter among those with at least 150 PA’s. He’s an elite hitter. He will provide excess value no matter where he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Was just reading Ken Rosenthal's latest hot stove article on The Athletic and there's a big section about how weak the catcher position is. There are like 10 teams looking for a catcher and basically nobody who can hit on the market. There basically only ~10-12 catchers who contribute value with their bat. Having a backup C with a .600 OPS is nearly a luxury.

If Stephenson can stay at C and stay healthy, it gives the Reds a very nice edge over most teams. It's not an advantage I'd give up lightly.

I agree, however, I am less than optimistic about the bold part. That is why there is a discussion about moving Stephenson to part time DH.

No one is saying that the Reds are better with Stephenson at DH and say, Tucker at catcher, than they are with Stephenson at catcher and say, Votto at DH. The issue is that many don’t think Stephenson can stay healthy at catcher, so reducing his time there will extend his career.

I agree, however, I am less than optimistic about the bold part. That is why there is a discussion about moving Stephenson to part time DH.

No one is saying that the Reds are better with Stephenson at DH and say, Tucker at catcher, than they are with Stephenson at catcher and say, Votto at DH. The issue is that many don’t think Stephenson can stay healthy at catcher, so reducing his time there will extend his career.
    Then, as I said above, the Reds should trade him to some team that wants the value at catcher.

Last year, Stephenson was the 18th best hitter among those with at least 150 PA’s. He’s an elite hitter. He will provide excess value no matter where he plays.
    What metric are you using to judge that?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    WOBA

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=16,d

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Stephenson was #18 in wOBA if you limit to 150 PA per Fangraphs. That said, a ton of that value is derived from his league leading (minimum 150 PA) BABIP. Weighting by BABIP, xwOBA has Stephenson at #150. wRC+ Puts Stephenson at #42, fwiw.

23. Likes:

757690 (11-28-2022)

Turn Off Ads?