Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aristides Aquino Signs With NPB’s Chunichi Dragons

Re: Aristides Aquino Signs With NPB’s Chunichi Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    パニッシャー
    What does this say? "Strike three" ?
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

texasdave (01-08-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

And strike out is pronounced 'sanshin'.

I always hoped AA would find his stroke even more than so than other Reds who struggled. He was supremely loyal to the Reds.

Loyal to the Reds? What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Loyal to the Reds? What does that mean?
    I seem to remember that he had a chance to be a minor league free agent and he said that there was, in his mind, no other option but to sign a minor league contract with the Reds. I think most players would have tried another organization.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I seem to remember that he had a chance to be a minor league free agent and he said that there was, in his mind, no other option but to sign a minor league contract with the Reds. I think most players would have tried another organization.
    He was nontendered in 2018, could have signed anywhere. He chose to return, because the Reds were the best club for him to get mlb action and quickly. Not sure how that shows "loyalty".

He was outrighted in 2022, didn't have the rights to declare free agency then.

He was nontendered in 2018, could have signed anywhere. He chose to return, because the Reds were the best club for him to get mlb action and quickly. Not sure how that shows "loyalty".

But the reds with thier empty OF is probably still his best option to get back in the big leagues. The wording may be clumsy since English isn't his first language, but I think he's just trying to avoid burning any bridges.

Aquino has hit well against minor league pitching. My guess is he'll do well in Japan.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-08-2023 at 08:04 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2018 was what I remembered. At the time I believe he said that he wanted to return to the Reds organization and he never considered signing elsewhere. i call that loyalty; you don't. So be it.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-08-2023)

Loved his arm. Cannon.

For lack of a better way to put it: It sucks when guys like him just don't have what it takes to play in the majors. It certainly didnt seem for lack of effort/heart.

Would love to see a comeback story for him down the road

13. Likes:

757690 (01-08-2023),goreds2 (01-09-2023),Ron Madden (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    Loved his arm. Cannon.

For lack of a better way to put it: It sucks when guys like him just don't have what it takes to play in the majors. It certainly didnt seem for lack of effort/heart.

Would love to see a comeback story for him down the road
    It's a five tool game and guys with a lot of those tools get the rope. In the end he could not hit off speed stuff, no shame in that it's the oldest story in the hitters cannon

Never say never

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's a five tool game and guys with a lot of those tools get the rope. In the end he could not hit off speed stuff, no shame in that it's the oldest story in the hitters cannon

Never say never
    That is true that is why I have little faith in Barreo or Edlc

Prior to that, he became a minor league free agent after the 2017 season. He could have signed anywhere but returned to the Reds on a minor league deal. The Reds rewarded him with a cup of coffee but later cut him. I don't know if "loyalty" is the best term, but not a lot of Major Leaguers spend their entire careers with one organization anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Prior to that, he became a minor league free agent after the 2017 season. He could have signed anywhere but returned to the Reds on a minor league deal. The Reds rewarded him with a cup of coffee but later cut him. I don't know if "loyalty" is the best term, but not a lot of Major Leaguers spend their entire careers with one organization anymore.
    He was not a minor league free agent after the 2017 season.

He was not a minor league free agent after the 2017 season.
    My bad. I thought he qualified as a 6-year minor league free agent even though 2017 was his 7th season with the organization.

Looks like things have not come together for AA in Japan. He's got 200 PAs and his OPS is .528. Amazing that it was just one year ago that we had to watch him hit 4x/game for our Reds. We've come so far in a year

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=aquino000ari

His stats were better in MLB

Turn Off Ads?