Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the #17 prospect?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bryce Hubbart

0 0%
  • Logan Tanner

0 0%
  • Allan Cerda

0 0%
  • Javi Rivera

0 0%
  • Victor Acosta

2 6.67%
  • Ricardo Cabrera

4 13.33%
  • Carlos Jorge

2 6.67%
  • Tyler Callihan

0 0%
  • Alex McGarry

1 3.33%
  • Ariel Almonte

0 0%
  • Rece Hinds

3 10.00%
  • Lyon Richardson

2 6.67%
  • Jose Acuna

2 6.67%
  • Austin Hendrick

7 23.33%
  • Christian Roa

2 6.67%
  • Bryce Bonnin

4 13.33%
  • Jose Torres

0 0%
  • Julian Aguiar

0 0%
  • Leonardo Balcazar

0 0%
  • Yerlin Confidan

1 3.33%

Thread: Redszone 2023 Top 40 prospects Poll: #17

Redszone 2023 Top 40 prospects Poll: #17

I'm calling this one early in favor of Michael Siani, who has a fairly commanding lead over second place. Replacing him is Bryce Hubbart.

01. Elly De La Cruz SS/3B AA 20
    02. Noelvi Marte SS A+ 21
    03. Cam Collier 3B ROK 17
    04. Edwin Arroyo SS A 19
    05. Christian Encarnacion-Strand 1B/3B AA 22
    06. Matt McLain SS AA 23
    07. Chase Petty RHP A+ 19
    08. Spencer Steer INF MLB 24
    09. Brandon Williamson LHP AAA 24
    10. Connor Phillips RHP AA 21
    11. Sal Stewart 3B ROK 18
    12. Andrew Abbott LHP AA 23
    13. Joe Boyle RHP AA 23
    14. Levi Stoudt RHP MLB 24
    15. Jay Allen II OF A+ 20
    16. Michael Siani OF MLB 23

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone 2023 Top 40 prospects Poll: #17

My vote goes to Bonnin. The FB/slider combination says late inning bullpen arm to me.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Richardson for me, based on reports that he's fully recovered and likely to pitch at AA.

After that, I'm gonna push for the U20 kiddie corps.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Cabrera again, then Hendrick, then Richardson.

I'm all aboard the Carlos Jorge hype train. (Which, ironically, only plays Kentucky-born bro country music. Chris Stapleton, Tyler Childers, Sturgill Simpson, represent!)

Jorge's mix of OBP and speed should play well as he moves up the ladder. He's also shown some serious pop that scouts insisted he didn't have. (This is similar to the arguments made for CES's hit tool.) If the power is for real, you've got a middle infield defender with a very good glove, solid arm, plus speed, with some thunder and patience in his bat. That's a top 100 prospect-- maybe a top 50. (And maybe, if his power is as good as it was in the ACL, top 25.)

We won't know about the power until 2024 unless he shows out for real in Daytona (unlikely, considering almost no one shows out in Daytona). That said, he seems to have all the understated tools to be relatively valuable even if he does turn out to be a flea. His legs, glove, and position alone should give him a Siani-like high floor.

I realize I'm likely high man on Jorge, but I considered putting him in my top 10. He's a bit like Yerlin Confidan from last season, but with far, far more speed, a much, much better glove, and a longer history of dominance. (His 2021 DSL season was really eye-opening.)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Richardson for me, based on reports that he's fully recovered and likely to pitch at AA.

After that, I'm gonna push for the U20 kiddie corps.
    The reports on Lyon Richardson never said he’s fully recovered. They said he has regained his velocity (which I believe, but when you have a radar gun reading that is not substantiated by being in a real game, no-one knows if the reading was for one pitch, two pitches, 10 pitches, etc. So it is definitely not the same as a medical clearance)
    The fact that he is in instructional league may mean he is healthy or not. I have read a million articles that reported a player was in instructional league one month and then the next month they were injured.
    The fact is that he didn’t pitch professionally in all of 2022, due to his TJ surgery. His health is an unknown until we get more information.

Does anyone have any post-September scouting reports on Logan Tanner and Justin Boyd. They are high draft picks for the Reds in 2022, and they had poor pro debuts, but I feel like dismissing a prospect because of a 60 AB debut in pro ball is not fair or logical.

Going Austin Hendrick. He's at senior in college age, he'll be at AA, he had a late season hot streak, he's a solid defender for RF and he can run a little bit. At 17, not sure you can ask for much more.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-29-2022),HokieRed (11-29-2022),icehole3 (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The reports on Lyon Richardson never said he’s fully recovered. They said he has regained his velocity (which I believe, but when you have a radar gun reading that is not substantiated by being in a real game, no-one knows if the reading was for one pitch, two pitches, 10 pitches, etc. So it is definitely not the same as a medical clearance)
    The fact that he is in instructional league may mean he is healthy or not. I have read a million articles that reported a player was in instructional league one month and then the next month they were injured.
    The fact is that he didn’t pitch professionally in all of 2022, due to his TJ surgery. His health is an unknown until we get more information.
    If he's pitching and throwing in the upper 90s, he's fully recovered, full stop. There's not a team in baseball that'd allow him to throw that hard if he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If he's pitching and throwing in the upper 90s, he's fully recovered, full stop. There's not a team in baseball that'd allow him to throw that hard if he wasn't.
    Really? Reds did it this year with Hunter Greene.
    I don’t know if Lyon Richardson is healthy. I just know that the Reds scant sharing of health information on prospects over the years has been frustrating. I have been under the false impression that a prospect has turned the corner on recovery and fully cleared, and then never played that year many, many times, year after year.
    So that’s where I am coming from when I hear about Lyon Richardson, who is throwing harder then he has ever thrown before. If it’s true and he displays that velo in real games, I will be very happy.
    Last edited by Betterread; 11-29-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Really? Reds did it this year with Hunter Greene.
    And. He. Was. Healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

So that’s where I am coming from when I hear about Lyon Richardson, who is throwing harder then he has ever thrown before.
    Two things:

1. If he's throwing harder than he's ever thrown before, his arm is healthy.

2. It doesn't matter if it's done in real games or not-- he can always reinjure himself. But for now, he's healthy. The velocity (and willingness to cut loose) proves it.

Lyon Richardson wasn't all that and a bag of chips when he was healthy and pitching. I'll wait and see.

I've said before that Austin Hendrick should pay me to come watch him. Every time I was at the park he had several hard hit balls, worked the count for a walk and showed off either his arm or his speed.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

16. Likes:

icehole3 (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I've said before that Austin Hendrick should pay me to come watch him. Every time I was at the park he had several hard hit balls, worked the count for a walk and showed off either his arm or his speed.
    This. The games I saw him I was pleasantly surprised at how athletic he was. His power is right there with Cruz, McLain and Hinds as far as hitting tape measured taters.
    Last edited by icehole3; 11-30-2022 at 08:01 AM.

Turn Off Ads?