Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds New Coaching Staff

Reds New Coaching Staff

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

The Reds today announced the following coaching staff changes for the 2023 season.

see here:
    https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1597...952448/photo/1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds New Coaching Staff

Cowgil is another former UK guy, I believe, FWIW

Hiring a hall of fame QB is certainlly a vibe, and I dig it.

Wow THE Terry Bradshaw. Fired by his hitting coach job from the Royals last spring. Tim LaMonte seems interesting, has worked as a private hitting instructor and had stints in the Mets and Astros organizations.

If you had told me Collin Cowgill was still playing baseball as a fringe 5th outfielder I probably would have believed you. Out of MLB since 2016 and retired since 2019.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-29-2022)

Terry Bradshaw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Maybe I just worry too much, but promoting your existing hitting coach after other teams have filled out their coaching staffs feels like plan B....or C....probably D. If McKeithan was their guy they could have promoted him weeks ago.

Maybe this was already known, and i'm behind on baseball news though?

Also....insert generic Terry Bradshaw joke here

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (11-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Cowgil is another former UK guy, I believe, FWIW
    He sure is. Go Big Blue! Got Colin and Luke Maile in Cincy now. Pretty cool.

11. Likes:

Rowsdower (11-29-2022)

Cincinnati Reds promote Joel McKeithan to hitting coach, add to David Bell's .
    The Cincinnati Reds promoted Joel McKeithan to hitting coach and announced Tuesday they hired four coaches for manager David Bell’s 2023 staff.

McKeithan spent the 2022 season as the Reds’ assistant hitting coach, his first year in the organization. McKeithan previously spent one year as Detroit’s minor league hitting coordinator and he was a minor league coach in Philadelphia’s farm system in 2019 and 2020.

The 31-year-old McKeithan replaces Alan Zinter, who was one of the five coaches dismissed at the end of the season, and he becomes the club’s fourth head hitting coach since the 2018 season. McKeithan's younger brother, Tim, is on the Pittsburgh Pirates' coaching staff while his youngest brother, Aaron, is a catcher in the St. Louis Cardinals' farm system.

“We actually had some improvements last year with people (McKeithan) worked directly with whether it was Brandon Drury or guys like that who have come in," Reds General Manager Nick Krall said. "He’s done a good job with a lot of the younger players that have come up and also he understands a lot of the technology.”

The Reds hired Terry Bradshaw and Tim LaMonte as their assistant hitting coaches. Collin Cowgill was named the first base coach and will work with the outfielders. Matt Tracy is the bullpen coach. Krall said the team will likely make one more additional hire.

For the internal changes, Jeff Pickler, who was the Reds’ outfield coach for the last four seasons, is now the infield coach. Pickler was primarily a second baseman during his baseball career. Assistant coach Kyle Arnsberg was promoted to advance scouting coordinator, Edgar Ferreira will work as the Major League video/technology coordinator and Joe Singley was named a bullpen catcher.

Bradshaw, 54, was the Kansas City Royals’ hitting coach for five seasons before he was fired in May, and he spent five seasons as the Royals’ minor league hitting coordinator. LaMonte, 45, was the New York Mets’ hitting coordinator in 2022 after spending three previous seasons as a minor league hitting coach with the Houston Astros.

LaMonte will carry an additional “integrated performance coach” title, which Krall said means LaMonte will be based in advanced technology.

“Having a three hitting coach system allows us to have different perspectives,” said Krall. Assistant coach Rolando Valles, who was dismissed at the end of the season, worked with hitters in his role last season, but he had a pitching background, so they filled his position with a true hitting coach.

Cowgill, 36, was a Double-A manager for the Seattle Mariners’ affiliate for the past two seasons. Tracy, 34, was the pitching analysis/development coordinator for the Toronto Blue Jays over the last three years.

“He was a guy (former Reds assistant pitching coach) Caleb Cotham knew really well,” Krall said of Tracy. “We’ve known him for a while. Obviously, followed his career because Caleb talked about him.”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...h/69686183007/

13. Likes:

UKFlounder (11-29-2022)

I am happy to hear they decided to fill the hitting coach role with a hitting coach rather than a pitching coach this year

Joel McKeithan played for Vanderbilt for three years and NC State for one. His stats for those four years are .188/.277/.242/.519. Doesn't mean he can't coach, but................

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I am happy to hear they decided to fill the hitting coach role with a hitting coach rather than a pitching coach this year
    Lol! That does explain a lot, doesn’t it?

And I’m scratching my head over the infield coach, who was the outfield coach, but he is coming back to the infield coaching slot.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 11-29-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

17. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (11-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Joel McKeithan played for Vanderbilt for three years and NC State for one. His stats for those four years are .188/.277/.242/.519. Doesn't mean he can't coach, but................
    Those who can't do... teach. Sports are littered with guys who weren't very good as players but are remembered as great coaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

19. Likes:

757690 (11-29-2022),Old school 1983 (11-29-2022),Ron Madden (11-29-2022)

I don’t see any locals, big names or former Reds, so an improvement on that end.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t see any locals, big names or former Reds, so an improvement on that end.
    Yeah, that Ted Kluszewski was a real stiff back in the day.

There seems to be a lot more coaches these days -- do the players not know how to play by the time they reach the majors. Wait, this is the Reds, so they probably need about 20 more coaches for next year.
    Where we gonna go?

Where's the assistant owner coach? They could certainly use a lot of coaching on how to own a team!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?