I'm 100 percent OK with this.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022-23 MLB Winter Meetings

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    The Reds at the winter meetings
    Attachment 19032
    They haven't dove in yet. They're still standings on the end of the board, scared to jump

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/with_replies
    ·
    Now
    Giants say they have not heard on Aaron Judge, My apologies for jumping the gun.
    Oops
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Jon Heyman having a day on Twitter. He twice tweeted that Judge was going to SF then deleted both and said the Giants haven't heard from Judge.

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-06-2022)

Dodgers, Rockies, Reds Exploring Center Field Market

Meanwhile, Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Reds are seeking center field help and have looked to the free agent market. As with Colorado, Nimmo’s certainly out of the question for Cincinnati. Nightengale suggests the team is likely looking at one-year offers for hitters of interest. Payroll limitations have loomed over the Reds in each of the last two offseasons, and GM Nick Krall told reporters yesterday the front office has “a little bit of money” to spend this winter but cautioned they “don’t have a ton” at their disposal.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...ld-market.html

We get the 7th overall pick in the draft. Due to the lottery, we fell 3 spots. Not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    We get the 7th overall pick in the draft. Due to the lottery, we fell 3 spots. Not happy.
    Meh. The way I look at it, the Reds should be picking 15th. Best record of non-play-off teams should pick number 1, then next best and on down. That would have made the Reds 15th - the spot they deserved for not trying. Personally, teams shouldn't be rewarded for tanking the way they did. If anything, they should have to forfeit their first-round pick, and pay the money associated with that slot into a fund managed by the union for supplementing the income of lower paid minor leaguers.

I don't like a system that rewards tanking and even the lottery system does that. They say Pete Rose and Joe Jackson hurt the integrity of the game, that's nothing compared to the damage being done by these tanking owners. Owners are losing by design for monetary gain, isn't that what the black sox were banned for?

I love it when anyone suffers the consequences of their unsavory actions. dropping a few spots in the draft isn't enough consequence for this unsavory organization.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

757690 (12-06-2022),Kingspoint (12-07-2022),REDREAD (12-08-2022),Redsfan6272 (12-06-2022),RedsFanInMS (12-07-2022)

Reds offer free agents an opportunity to shine

Since the rebuilding Reds can’t offer their targeted free agents an opportunity to play for an expected contender in 2023, they must find other avenues to attract players to Cincinnati.

A slugger could get a chance to hit in cozy Great American Ball Park. There could be the offer of more playing time. A player who entered the market after a down year or two could rebuild their value with a one-year contract.

“You've got to sell yourself as best you can,” Reds general manager Nick Krall said. “We can offer you some opportunities at different places. I think if you have an opportunity to come to our ballpark, it's a hitter-friendly park.

Pitchers come in and they get a chance to work with our coaching staff, improve and get to go out on the market next year. We've got the opportunity to let you play. I think that's a win-win for some people.”

If the Reds can land a player on a so-called “pillow contract,” it’s possible his value improves enough to be a Trade Deadline chip. If he finishes the season with the club and re-enters the free-agent market, he could yield a high Draft pick in compensation if he’s given a qualifying offer.
    continue reading:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-offer-...unity-to-shine
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-07-2022 at 01:01 AM.

I think the Groundhog is going to see his shadow in Cincinnati.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Meh. The way I look at it, the Reds should be picking 15th. Best record of non-play-off teams should pick number 1, then next best and on down. That would have made the Reds 15th - the spot they deserved for not trying. Personally, teams shouldn't be rewarded for tanking the way they did. If anything, they should have to forfeit their first-round pick, and pay the money associated with that slot into a fund managed by the union for supplementing the income of lower paid minor leaguers.

I don't like a system that rewards tanking and even the lottery system does that. They say Pete Rose and Joe Jackson hurt the integrity of the game, that's nothing compared to the damage being done by these tanking owners. Owners are losing by design for monetary gain, isn't that what the black sox were banned for?

I love it when anyone suffers the consequences of their unsavory actions. dropping a few spots in the draft isn't enough consequence for this unsavory organization.
    I love it. A franchise should be penalized for bending their fans over the barrel, not rewarded for it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Reds offer free agents an opportunity to shine
    continue reading:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-offer-...unity-to-shine
    30+ year old journeymen trying to prove they still have it helps NO ONE in this franchise. Try to find the next Adrian Beltre, heck Edwin Encarcion, someone that is late 20s who could still provide you value for the 3-6 years. That's how you goose the engine when the prospects are ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-07-2022)

MLB needs to come up with some way to pass relegation. Let AAA franchises (or even independent league franchises) compete for an opportunity to be full blown Major League Franchise. Then teams like Oakland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh can be relegated to where they belong minor leagues putting on skits between innings to try and get fans involved and have to sale their own sponsorships.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    MLB needs to come up with some way to pass relegation. Let AAA franchises (or even independent league franchises) compete for an opportunity to be full blown Major League Franchise. Then teams like Oakland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh can be relegated to where they belong minor leagues putting on skits between innings to try and get fans involved and have to sale their own sponsorships.
    The 30 MLB owners aren't going to vote themselves out of the league.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-07-2022)

In exchange for some Swiss bank account numbers, REDS have agreed to continue to be a major league pipeline for the rest of Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Based on W / L or % of money spent on roster?

2015 - 2022

Detroit - 501-688
    Cincinnati - 518 -576

So add the Tiger there too I suppose

Turn Off Ads?