Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 MLB Winter Meetings

Re: 2022-23 MLB Winter Meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    My relationship with the Reds feels much like the guy at the bar buying drinks all night for the girl who has zero interest in him. All his friends try to talk some sense into him, buthe wont listen. At least at the bar the girl will at least pretend to care and give the guy a little bit of hope. The Reds just openly say they don't care and still take the drinks.
    My analogy: The girl I have a huge crush on agrees to meet me for dinner. I've been sitting there for 3 hours. I've finally realized that I've been stood up, and realize how stupid I was to invest 3 hours in waiting for her. Should not have given her the benefit of the doubt for 3 hours.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    “We still have some money available. A little bit of money. We don’t have a ton,” Krall said.

Teams with payrolls that are less than what they receive in revenue sharing should be contracted.
    Not contracted. Forced to sell to someone who hates losing and doesn't accept it with excuses!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I want him to keep going. It's the best entertainment that this team can provide at this point.
    I completely agree with you, it just amazes me
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The rule 5 pick could tell us something about how serious the Reds are about competing for a wild card spot this year. Teams often don't protect prospects who are too far away from the majors to stick on a roster for the entire year. The Reds might take one in order to grab a prospect even if it means punting 2023. Most likely, they will conform to the conventional strategy of taking someone who has progressed through the minors and could help the team this year. In which case modest spending is still in play.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    could tell us something about how serious the Reds are about competing for a wild card spot this year
    You do not need to read tea leaves. I will tell you right now: The Reds are NOT serious about competing for a wild card spot this year.

7. Likes:

CySeymour (12-06-2022)

The rule 5 pick could tell us something about how serious the Reds are about competing for a wild card spot this year. Teams often don't protect prospects who are too far away from the majors to stick on a roster for the entire year. The Reds might take one in order to grab a prospect even if it means punting 2023. Most likely, they will conform to the conventional strategy of taking someone who has progressed through the minors and could help the team this year. In which case modest spending is still in play.
    I'd love to see the Reds end up with an aggressive Yovanny Cruz type of selection. High risk/high reward guy coming off injury. Hasn't played above A ball and only threw like 20 innings last year. Fastball/Slider combo should play out of the bullpen though.

Not sure it tells us too much about the Reds intentions though.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I started following the Guardians. They are way too cheap too, but at least they have a smart front office and put an entertaining product on the field.
    BOOM! Right there perfectly illustrates my feelings on the Reds.

I don't care that the Reds don't spend money. It's just that when they do spend, they spend it on the wrong players. Other teams (Guardians, Rays, and even the A's) don't spend any money. But they do spend what little they do on players who can actually improve the team. They know WHO to spend it on. The Reds waste their money on folks like Moustakas, Shogo, Galvis, Doolittle, and Zack Duke (and others), and wonder why they don't move the needle.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 12-06-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2022)

Ehhhh the Guardians have made so boneheaded FA signings

12. Likes:

HokieRed (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Smart teams change, for the most part. The game does not.

That said, as much as I loathed the Dodgers in the 70s and 80s, I remain impressed with most of their moves and know that team cares about winning. Ditto San Francisco and, for the most part, San Diego. Seattle's willing to spend real money as well. The Yankees too, for the most part. The Mets have just begun to swing that big apple stick. Atlanta spends cash.

I still hate St. Louis, though. Can't bring myself to give them even a grudging respect.

The rule 5 pick could tell us something about how serious the Reds are about competing for a wild card spot this year. .
    The Rule 5 pick will tell us nothing regarding the Reds and the wild card because the Reds don’t care about the wild card, they are going after the division title.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    True, but while the Reds have been languishing in rebuild wilderness since 2014, the Indians/Guardians have had 8 winning seasons, 5 seasons of 90+ wins, 4 first place finishes, and 5 trips to the postseason.

They gotta be doing something right.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 12-06-2022 at 02:01 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2022),Revering4Blue (12-06-2022),Tuff Nut (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    True, but while the Reds have been languishing in rebuild wilderness since 2014, the Indians/Guardians have had 8 winning seasons, 5 seasons of 90+ wins, 4 first place finishes, and 5 trips to the postseason.

They gotta be doing something right.
    Maybe Terry Francona has something to do with it.

18. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Maybe Terry Francona has something to do with it.
    Not at all disagreeing. Goes to the poor baseball decisions the Reds tend to make.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2022)

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale

Cody Bellinger, the former NL MVP, has received several multi-year contract offers, but agent Scott Boras says he plans to accept only a one-year deal and hit the market again after the 2023 season.

The Reds at the winter meetings
    Name:  OIP.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  12.4 KB
    Last edited by joe51391; 12-06-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Let the kids play!

23. Likes:

icehole3 (12-06-2022),REDREAD (12-08-2022),SomeCallMeTim (12-11-2022)

Turn Off Ads?