Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 2023 Payroll Much Lower Than $114M On Opening Day 2022

Re: 2023 Payroll Much Lower Than $114M On Opening Day 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I believe it does count:
    I think the link you provided says it doesn’t count towards this years payroll

So old contracts with deferrals generally do not drag down future payrolls, despite memes that appear around Opening Day & payments to Bobby Bonilla. Ken Griffey Jr. is not holding down the Reds 2023 payroll.
    It’s also was not counted on Fangraphs payroll that added up to $80M and that was the number I was using.

To be honest, until the Reds open their books, most of this is guess work as to what counts and what doesn’t.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Close. Opening day roster will have Myers (6), Newman (3), Farmer (1.4), Cessa (2.6), Casali (2.5) and Maile (1.18) making more than minimum for a total of roughly $17 Million (a little less). That leaves 20 guys making $720K each. Another $14 Million and change. Roughly $31 Million on the active roster on opening day. Some of those 20 guys will make less over the season when IL guys come back and they go to the minors and make less money.
    Not all 20 guys will make exactly the minimum, like India and Stephenson. That’s probably where the difference is.

Either way, the point is clear. The Reds opening day roster is embarrassing low.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Not a rebuild. Build. Back. Better.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Mr. Hoodie is all sorts of wrong here, but his overall point is well taken.

First, Griffey’s money doesn’t count towards this season’s payroll, as Ron as pointed out many times already.

Second, Moustakas is getting $18M for this season. His buyout for next season doesn’t count towards this season’s payroll.

Third, Mr. Hoodin’s math is off. According the Fangraphs link LeatherPants provided, the Reds opening day payroll is at $80M. https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/reds

Subtract Votto’s $25M and Moose’s $18M and you get $37M. That is the number Mr. Hoodin should be touting.

$37M still is shockingly and embarrassing low, so there is no reason for Mr. Hoodin to be cooking the books, trying to make it look lower.
    He clearly said that Moose and Griffey didn't count. The only thing he's "cooking" is that he's likely going by Sport Trac's numbers which don't yet include pre-arb guys

Sad part is the 26 players for the Reds will have a higher combined salary than the 27 guys that was on the roster for our last game Cessa, Strickland, K Farmer and Solano were only non prearb guys active for game 162.
    Last edited by InsaneinthBrame; 03-29-2023 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He clearly said that Moose and Griffey didn't count. The only thing he's "cooking" is that he's likely going by Sport Trac's numbers which don't yet include pre-arb guys
    I believe spotrac does not have the prearb guys numbers yet because the exact figures are not known yet. Not all prearb make the minimum you can see example looking at last year team on spotrac One example you can see that India was 760,000

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I believe spotrac does not have the prearb guys numbers yet because the exact figures are not known yet. Not all prearb make the minimum you can see example looking at last year team on spotrac One example you can see that India was 760,000
    Why aren't those figures known yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why aren't those figures known yet?
    My guess it has something to do with the roster becoming official.

We can quibble about to what exact degree the Reds are cheap. But it’s safe to say the Reds aren’t the Dodgers or Yankees. Or any of the other 26-28 teams. And you’ll get what you paid for.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

mth123 (03-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?