Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Stephenson, Is Not Moving From Catcher

Tyler Stephenson, Is Not Moving From Catcher

Tyler Stephenson, Is Not Moving From Catcher

The Reds are hoping Tyler Stephenson will be a mainstay in the middle of their lineup and take a leadership role as one of the faces of the team.

He was limited to 50 games last season because of a concussion, a broken thumb and a broken collarbone.

Stephenson is fully recovered from the broken collarbone, which ended his season on July 22 and required surgery, and he’s begun in his normal offseason routine with hitting, throwing and catching. But he’s bracing for a lot of questions at Redsfest about whether he should remain catcher.

From his perspective, it’s an easy answer.

“I want to catch,” he said. “I want to do it as long as possible. Like I’ve said, unless something physically down the road doesn’t let me, then that is something to talk about another day. But I’m catching.”

How Tyler Stephenson plans to protect himself in 2023

Stephenson, 26, met with EvoShield, the apparel company, earlier this offseason to make some adjustments with his equipment. He’ll have more padding around his neck and elbow guards. He changed catching masks after his concussion last season and he loved the newer one he used, which absorbed foul balls.

It’s a way to further protect himself, but his injuries came in fluke circumstances. His concussion stemmed from San Diego Padres first baseman Luke Voit colliding with him at the plate. His thumb, positioned slightly behind his glove, was hit by a foul ball.

“Twenty-six years and I’ve never broken anything and then this year, I broke two things,” Stephenson said. “I’ve never heard of a catcher breaking their collarbone on a foul ball.

Even the thumb thing, if you want to break it down, yes it should have been protected, but if you really look at games, how many catchers have their hands exposed.

I think J.T. (Realmuto), I don’t know if it was during the playoffs or when he was in Cincinnati playing us, I think he took a foul ball off his wrist and he ended up staying in the game. I paid attention to it a lot more and you’d be surprised at how many guys, their thumbs are actually exposed.”
    continue reading here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...le/ar-AA14PsSv
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-02-2022 at 11:40 AM.

2. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (01-10-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tyler Stephenson, Is Not Moving From Catcher

The hive mind of the RZ GM squad has failed their mission.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-02-2022),HokieRed (12-03-2022),NebraskaRed (12-02-2022),RedsFanInMS (12-02-2022),Ron Madden (12-02-2022),Wonderful Monds (12-02-2022)

So says Tyler.

Like most athletes of his age, I’m sure he feels invincible. I hope he’s right.

His value is being a well above average hitting catcher.
    The Reds want him working with their young pitchers and his bat is elite for a catcher,
    but not as special compared to a league-average first baseman.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-02-2022 at 03:26 PM.

8. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-02-2022),fondfoat (12-05-2022),SunDeck (12-02-2022),Wonderful Monds (12-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

I've seen this somewhere before.

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-04-2022),Falls City Beer (12-02-2022),Ron Madden (12-02-2022)

I don't want him to move off of Catcher, but I think expecting more than 100 starts (if that many) is unrealistic. They need his bat in the line-up, so he should DH 50 times at minimum. They need more than a back-up catcher to start those games. They need more of a tandem guy, but a back-up is what they signed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't want him to move off of Catcher, but I think expecting more than 100 starts (if that many) is unrealistic. They need his bat in the line-up, so he should DH 50 times at minimum. They need more than a back-up catcher to start those games. They need more of a tandem guy, but a back-up is what they signed.
    I mean, look at Realmuto. There's no reason Stephenson can't get 110 starts at C if he's healthy and the rest 1B/DH.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I mean, look at Realmuto. There's no reason Stephenson can't get 110 starts at C if he's healthy and the rest 1B/DH.
    I've reached the I'll believe it when I see it point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Tyler’s value is being on the field playing games rather than on the IL. I’m glad he’s feeling so well now, but it’s December.

Somebody compared the durable Realmuto, but does he have a history of concussions? I don’t know, maybe he does.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-02-2022 at 05:26 PM.

18. Likes:

dfs (12-03-2022),Kingspoint (12-06-2022)

I don’t if these are his words or if he’s being a company man or a mix of both, but I am glad to hear this. Give the guy a chance to be one of the best catchers. If anything the DH should maximize his value buy keeping his bat available for 150+ while not forcing him to play 1B or 3B just to do it.

“Like I’ve said, unless something physically down the road doesn’t let me, then that is something to talk about another day. But I’m catching”.

Good for him. He's not just doing the same thing expecting different results. He made the helmet change and he's making a padding change. I hope it all works out with him at his preferred position because he's great at it

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-02-2022),Ron Madden (12-02-2022),SomeCallMeTim (12-03-2022)

The dude is made of glass but wants to be a catcher. Yeah ok, mate.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

23. Likes:

Mutaman (01-12-2023)

110 starts at C, 25 DH, no 1b (that's not really rest). Figure out another way to rest Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    110 starts at C, 25 DH, no 1b (that's not really rest). Figure out another way to rest Votto.
    I'd back off 10 or 20 games at Catcher to have his bat in the line-up more often overall.

90 Games at C, 60 Games at DH. 2 Off Days per month

26. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-05-2022),Kc61 (12-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd back off 10 or 20 games at Catcher to have his bat in the line-up more often overall.

90 Games at C, 60 Games at DH. 2 Off Days per month
    I like this plan, assuming the Reds won't spend any money on an actual DH.

Turn Off Ads?