Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyler Stephenson, Is Not Moving From Catcher

Re: Tyler Stephenson, Is Not Moving From Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I like this plan, assuming the Reds won't spend any money on an actual DH.
    I'm guessing Moose against RHP with Stephenson Catching or resting. Stephenson DH against LHP is the general rule, but Stephenson will play DH against RHP on days where Moose needs to sit. Basically a Moose/Maile platoon. At some point kids will arrive and Votto or Fraley may be pushed to DH against RHP. Moose will either perform well enough to be traded or he'll be let go or spend the rest of his year on the 60 Day IL.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

“Assuming he stays healthy” is the biggest caveat in baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    “Assuming he stays healthy” is the biggest caveat in baseball
    It's the sixth tool

5. Likes:

757690 (12-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm guessing Moose against RHP with Stephenson Catching or resting. Stephenson DH against LHP is the general rule, but Stephenson will play DH against RHP on days where Moose needs to sit. Basically a Moose/Maile platoon. At some point kids will arrive and Votto or Fraley may be pushed to DH against RHP. Moose will either perform well enough to be traded or he'll be let go or spend the rest of his year on the 60 Day IL.
    I would give Stephenson a clear priority at DH. Whenever he’s not catching and rest isn’t required, he’s the DH. Whether it’s against lefties or righties. I’d try to get him as many PAs as reasonably possible. Moose, the others, would be secondary.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would give Stephenson a clear priority at DH. Whenever he’s not catching and rest isn’t required, he’s the DH. Whether it’s against lefties or righties. I’d try to get him as many PAs as reasonably possible. Moose, the others, would be secondary.
    I don't think you're wrong. I think the idea would be that it's easier/cheaper to find a catcher with LHP platoon splits than a complete hitter. So it would just be optimizing the lineup.

Reds Beat by Mark Sheldon

Things have changed a bit with the club’s catching situation since Redsfest because the Reds brought back free agent Curt Casali on a one-year, $3.25 million contract on Dec. 22. With Luke Maile already signed in November, the Reds now have three catchers on the 40-man roster.

Those signings give Stephenson and the Reds more protection. He can get more breaks from catching and potentially protect himself from injury. While keeping his legs fresher, he could also stay in the lineup almost daily if he’s used as either the designated hitter or at first base.

Over his 50 games last season, Stephenson batted .319 with an .854 OPS, six home runs and 35 RBIs.

According to FanGraphs’ Steamer Projections, Stephenson is targeted to bat .257 with a .737 OPS, 15 homers and 63 RBIs in 123 games in 2023. I don’t know if that projection came before or after the Reds added Casali and Maile, but it seems conservative. If he can avoid injury and play more, perhaps Stephenson could increase those numbers.

Stephenson first came up to the big leagues in 2020, appearing in eight games and spending most of the shortened season on the taxi squad behind Tucker Barnhart and Casali.

“I don’t think Tucker would be mad if I said this. He’s just a tremendous hitter. He’s so much better at hitting the ball than we are,” Casali said of Stephenson. “He’s got the big build. He’s got the tremendous approach at the plate. It seems like going to right field is natural for him.”

As for behind the plate, Stephenson has a chance to improve as well.

“Something Luke and I can help with is the thing that we have -- experience,” Casali said. “The only way you get experience is by catching. We can go over scouting, talk about pitchers, reading swings and everything. It’s stuff Tyler is already doing, and he’s doing a really good job of it.

“But hopefully we can help speed up the process for him and help any way we possibly can. He’s already got all the tools that anybody could ever want. I think it’s just important that we keep him on the field.”

https://view.mail.mlblists.com/messa...471f08add9/raw

10. Likes:

goreds2 (01-10-2023),HokieRed (01-11-2023),wally post (01-10-2023)

Anyone else just forget that Tyler Stephenson actually exists at times? Not sure if it's just because he missed so much time a year ago, or if my mind just blocks out the idea that the Reds can actually have quality players on the 2023 roster.

12. Likes:

JFLegal (01-12-2023)

Really like the comments from Curt Casali in the article I posted earlier today.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (01-11-2023),mth123 (01-10-2023),Old school 1983 (01-10-2023),TexasRedsFan (01-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Really like the comments from Curt Casali in the article I posted earlier today.
    I'm REALLY glad the Reds resigned him. By himself, he may not move the needle much in terms of W-L, but he's a fantastic guy to have on the team. Solid player who embraces his role and strives to make the guys around him better. I see coaching and perhaps managerial opportunities in his future.

16. Likes:

goreds2 (01-11-2023),mth123 (01-10-2023),Ron Madden (01-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Anyone else just forget that Tyler Stephenson actually exists at times? Not sure if it's just because he missed so much time a year ago, or if my mind just blocks out the idea that the Reds can actually have quality players on the 2023 roster.
    it's probably because this front office has ripped our hearts from our chest. every team in baseball should have hope right now. but this terrible franchise doesn't even have that. at least not for 2023. maybe in 2024? we shall see.

but as for tyler stephenson? love the guy and this is a good development for him. he can still catch the majority of the time, but also DH, play some 1B and have some days off. he should be a cornerstone of this franchise.

Turn Off Ads?