Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto On His Return From Shoulder Surgery

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Re: Votto On His Return From Shoulder Surgery

Got an hour to spend? Why not spend it with Joey Votto, as he's interviewed by Ian Happ for the Jomboy Network. It's broken down into 2 parts, and features Joey at his always-thoughtful, chess-loving, shoulder-rehabbing, and genuinely-earnest best:

2. Likes:

757690 (01-27-2023),ochoa30 (03-02-2023),Ron Madden (01-27-2023),WrongVerb (01-27-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Here's the latest update on Joey Votto's availability for the Reds on Opening Day
    Votto declined to say whether he was pain-free, but he was "very happy" with his progress. He noted his shoulder is strong, has better range of motion and he's upped his work.

"Our game speed is nothing like practice work," Votto said. "I have to be in a place where I can handle the awkward moments, the rundowns, the dives, check swing, ball off the end of the bat, whatever it is, somebody throwing the ball past me, full range of motion, full finish, getting fooled on a pitch. These are all things that are a part of the game every single day.

If I’m not ready for that, then I’m significantly increasing my reinjury risk.

"And I’m not thinking about that. It’s not like I’m hedging against reinjury.

I just know I want to come back and play well, and I want to play every day. I want to perform. I want to make sure when I come back, I come back ready. It’s not more complicated than that."

full article here:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-lates...183423631.html

5. Likes:

goreds2 (03-01-2023),ochoa30 (03-02-2023),RED VAN HOT (03-02-2023),westofyou (03-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Here's the latest update on Joey Votto's availability for the Reds on Opening Day
    full article here:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-lates...183423631.html
    Joey always being about Joey...

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-02-2023),Chip R (03-02-2023),goreds2 (03-01-2023),Ron Madden (03-01-2023)

Joey again making it all about Joey

https://theathletic.com/4266327/2023...ulture-reboot/

The talent show — with Votto not only serving as the emcee but also singing and dressing up (he wore a cowboy outfit one day and an umpire costume Wednesday) — is just part of the team-building experiences that have been set up. Wednesday was supposed to be the beginning of the 3-point shooting contest, but it was moved to Monday because of weather. There is also a players-only event at Top Golf. Both the 3-point contest and the Top Golf have attractive prize packages available for the winners.

And then there’s Votto.

“It’s good for the young guys to see somebody of his stature and what he’s done in this game and be vulnerable and just part of the group,” Strickland said.

And if Votto isn’t afraid to wear a costume, neither should someone like Siani, who put on a pink wig to rap a Nicki Minaj song.

“The room stays light. Guys seem to transition into the work with a lightness,” Votto said. “More importantly, we’re getting to know one another. The room is filled with the future of this uniform, the future of the Reds. We have to get to know one another and they have to build these bonds that hopefully last the next decade. I get excited watching them get closer to one another and take one step toward owning this team.”

9. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-02-2023),Ron Madden (03-02-2023)

its probably been beat to death somewhere here but everytime i see the new rules in play i can't help but think Votto is gonna have big issues with it.....i like the Votto that remains static in the box between pitches but more often he likes to take his time....obviously also he's no stranger to snapping when things don't go his way with the umps

I'm always hesitant and fearful when I'm about to click onto this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    its probably been beat to death somewhere here but everytime i see the new rules in play i can't help but think Votto is gonna have big issues with it.....i like the Votto that remains static in the box between pitches but more often he likes to take his time....obviously also he's no stranger to snapping when things don't go his way with the umps
    Probably the best in MLB the last 10 years when it comes to making adjustments.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Votto is playing it smart. Go out of his way to be "a man among the people" and just an everyday nice-guy to distract from the indisputable fact that he's arguably the Reds' biggest liability not named Castellini.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Votto's offseason plan: Get healthy, prep for big '23
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-v...or-2023-season
    He's definitely not ahead of schedule. This was supposed to be a 6 month recovery time

Despite the additional damage to Votto’s bicep, the timeline to recover from the surgery remains six months. Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek performed the surgery Friday at Beacon Orthopaedics in Cincinnati.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...g/65411678007/

Obviously medicine can be highly variable but this rehab is taking longer than they thought back in August when it was performed

I see no reason to rush him. We can hold down the fort at 1B till he's 100%

Off the wall for this post maybe but if they ever do a Votto movie someday the kid from the new Jesus Revolution movie (Joel Courtney) needs to play him. He looks like he could be his kid or younger brother.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    Off the wall for this post maybe but if they ever do a Votto movie someday the kid from the new Jesus Revolution movie (Joel Courtney) needs to play him. He looks like he could be his kid or younger brother.
    Brett Goldstein (Roy of Ted Lasso) would be a must as older Votto.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

16. Likes:

757690 (03-09-2023),GoReds (03-09-2023),Roy Tucker (03-10-2023),westofyou (03-09-2023)

Reds' Joey Votto: Appears in minor-league spring game

Joey Votto (shoulder/biceps) was able to receive plate appearances Friday in a minor-league game, Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

In one of the plate appearances, Votto was able to draw one of his trademark walks. The former MVP is working his way back from surgery to repair his left bicep along with a torn rotator cuff in August. There's still no timetable as to when Votto will be able to rejoin the Reds, but it's a positive development that he's getting action against live pitching at this point of the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...e-spring-game/

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-11-2023),Kingspoint (03-12-2023),NebraskaRed (03-11-2023),RED VAN HOT (03-11-2023)

Votto appeared on Buster's podcast yesterday, for a long segment talking about the rule changes

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-11-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Joey Votto is playing in another B game today on the backfields.

Votto is also starting this game at first base and playing defense. So it’s a full game set up here for Votto.

Joey Votto just went game speed without limitation in a minor league game.

David Bell called this a big step for Votto.

“I got to keep getting reps. I’m happy to be out there. I feel healthy. I feel like I’m making good progress. One day at a time sort of thing.”

What’s the next step?

“I’m doing everything.”

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-11-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Hopefully CES isn't making Votto feel like he has to rush before he's actually ready to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Hopefully CES isn't making Votto feel like he has to rush before he's actually ready to come back.
    Shouldn't matter, since there's 1B and DH available.

Turn Off Ads?