Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto On His Return From Shoulder Surgery

Re: Votto On His Return From Shoulder Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Shouldn't matter, since there's 1B and DH available.
    True, but it would definitely matter if Votto pushes too hard before he's ready and spends what is likely his last season as a Red on the IL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    True, but it would definitely matter if Votto pushes too hard before he's ready and spends what is likely his last season as a Red on the IL
    Just have to hope that he and the medical staff know what they are doing. At the end of the day, it's up to Votto.

Joey Votto is in today's starting lineup vs the Dodgers hitting 2nd and playing 1B

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Joey Votto is playing his first spring training game of the year.

There isn’t a timeline yet for the regular season. Votto begins the ramp up today.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-12-2023 at 10:59 AM.

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-12-2023),mbgrayson (03-12-2023),Tuff Nut (03-12-2023)

“The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-12-2023),goreds2 (03-12-2023),JarrodOnVinyl (03-12-2023),Ron Madden (03-12-2023)

You're pushin' too hard, uh-what you want me to be

9. Likes:

Big Klu (03-12-2023),wheels (03-22-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

David Bell said Joey Votto's return process to spring training games "couldn't have gone faster than it did."

They're still taking it one day at a time, but Bell stressed how much work Votto has been doing and how this isn't like starting the spring from scratch for him.

Postcard from Reds camp: More updates from Goodyear

Joey Votto is playing in his first spring training game Sunday and Nick Senzel doesn’t seem far behind.

That gives them about two weeks to prepare for the regular season, making them borderline candidates to be ready by Opening Day.

Votto and Senzel received several at-bats in the two minor league simulated games Friday. They were hitting on opposite fields, so I didn’t see all their at-bats. Votto drew a walk against Lyon Richardson and lined out to right field in his last at-bat against Christian Roa.

Senzel had more at-bats than Votto – Senzel didn’t run after making contact with the ball – and hit singles in two of the four at-bats I saw from him.

Continue Reading:
    https://post.news/@/bobbynight/2MvBs...0VSZYbEsSUrUdZ

Joey Votto debuts in spring training games, but remains uncommitted for Opening Day
    “I’m not worried about one game,” Votto said. “I’m more concerned about being able to come out, play well and be healthy for as much of the season as possible. If they had some sort of system where I could join Opening Day and then continue my at-bats, then I would do that. But they don’t have that, so I’m not really setting the marker.”

Votto says he isn’t 100% in terms of game speed, but he’s participated in team fielding drills and batting practice since the start of full-squad workouts. There were things he wanted to experience as he worked his way toward games like diving at first base, hit at faster speeds in the batting cages and taking check swings.

During an interview before Sunday’s game, Votto thanked his surgeons, physical therapists and strength coaches for putting him in a position to play in games at this stage of spring training.

“It’s been three years now since I’ve had a legitimate full camp,” Votto said. “The (collective bargaining agreement) last year was a shortened camp. Then ’21, I had COVID during camp. Then ’20 was the abbreviated spring training. It’s nice to get a full camp. I feel like I’m more prepared this year than I have been in a while, but I’m going to need to accumulate some at-bats first.”

The Reds didn’t commit to a timeline for Votto to play in games throughout camp and they’ll let him determine his readiness for Opening Day.

There are no physical hurdles remaining for Votto, which is noteworthy after he underwent a major surgery. At this stage, it’s about preparing for the season.

For now, Bell said, the plan with Votto is to take it day-by-day on how much he’ll play in spring training games.

“He was very careful and thoughtful and worked extremely hard to get to this point,” Bell said. “Here we are. He has his legs underneath him. He did a lot of defensive work. He worked hard on his swing. Now it’s just getting into the game action for all of those things, which is an important part of this. Joey knows himself well.”

full article here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...age=AA186gpF|1

Nick Krall Reds GM told us their plan is for Joey Votto to finish his career as a Red. However, if the Reds are out of it at the trade deadline and Votto came to them and asked if they would trade him home to Toronto BlueJays..he said he would consider under those circumstances

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/stat...28694776377344

From Goldsmith Twitter:

Joey Votto just spoke about how badly he wants to play Opening Day and how much he wants to win and perform this year. He doesn’t feel like his swing is 100% yet, and no decision on his status.

“I think I’m going to play well. If not I’m going to retire.”
    Votto: “That’s where my head is at. I can’t wait to put on a Reds uniform and do it in front of the fans. I can’t wait to be on this team.”
    https://twitter.com/charlieg__/statu...-k2A2dZC0KKa9Q
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

Joey Votto said he hasn't made a decision about Opening Day. Lots of other things, too...

Votto: "I mean this, seriously, I think I'm going to play well.

I think I'm going to perform well offensively.

And, if not, I'm going to retire.

So end of story. I'm going to play well and that's where my head's at."

17. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2023),Fil3232 (03-25-2023)

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon

Joey Votto hasn't reached a decision whether he'll be ready for Opening Day yet.

JV: “I haven’t played any nine inning games.
    We play every day. We play a nine-inning game every single day for six months. There’s that....More than anything, I’m coming back from a surgery that involves a longer rehab. I want to make sure I am fully prepared when I come back."

Votto: "I’m happy about the progress. My swing doesn’t feel ready yet. My legs don’t feel ready yet. But I’m working hard defensively, on the bases and in competition to be back as soon as possible."

“I mean this, seriously, I think I'm going to play well. I think I'm going to perform well offensively. If not, I'm going to retire. So end of story. I'm going to play well.”

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-25-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Votto Uncertain To Be Ready For Opening Day

Opening Day is less than a week away and it’s uncertain whether Joey Votto will be starting at first base when the Cincinnati Reds begin their season Thursday.

“I recognize being a part of Opening Day is important in our city,” said Votto, who has been on 15 Opening Day rosters in his career, one shy of tying Dave Concepcion for third in franchise history and two shy of the record held by Barry Larkin and Pete Rose.

“I recognize I've been there for a while and the fans' expectations. I will always want to meet them. That being said, I have to make sure that I prepare for a long season. I have to make sure that I'm healthy, so that I can perform well and be a valuable member of this team.

I’m happy about the progress. My swing doesn’t feel ready yet. My legs don’t feel ready yet. But I’m working hard defensively, on the bases and in competition to be back as soon as possible.”

It’s possible Votto could remain in Arizona after the team returns to Cincinnati on Sunday. The Reds will play intrasquad games Monday and Wednesday, but Votto could look to play full nine-inning minor league games in Arizona.

“I cannot wait to put on a Reds uniform and do it in front of fans,” Votto said. “I cannot wait to be on this team and to work side-by-side with all my teammates, a lot of new ones who I am bonding with that I'm fond of.

I look forward to being a surprising team this year. It's going to take a lot of surprising performances, but I think there's a lot of guys in this room that feel confident they can have that breakout year.”

“I've done really well with my offensive work,” Votto said. “I mean this, seriously, I think I'm going to play well. I think I'm going to perform well offensively. If not, I'm going to retire. End of story.”

“This is very much a crossroads for our organization,” Votto said. “This is very much an opportunity for us to tell the baseball world and our fans that we're heading in the right direction. Hop aboard. If you've never been on the bandwagon, there's plenty of seats. We'd love to have you.”

read more here:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/joey-votto-...1.html?src=rss
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-26-2023 at 06:15 AM.

20. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (03-26-2023)

I like that Votto is being upfront and honest about himself and his situation, but I find it odd that he still isn't sure if he'll be ready by next Thursday. He mentions that his legs and swing still don't feel right, which is understandable, but what does he think is going to suddenly happen in the next 5 days?

I like that Votto is being upfront and honest about himself and his situation, but I find it odd that he still isn't sure if he'll be ready by next Thursday. He mentions that his legs and swing still don't feel right, which is understandable, but what does he think is going to suddenly happen in the next 5 days?
    He's probably going to play in minor league games and get a bunch of at PAs and see if it starts coming together. If it hasn't my guess is he'll go on the IL and keep getting PAs on a rehab assignment. He already said he doesn't want to play until he's ready to go out there and be himself.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?