Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: MLB Draft Lottery Tuesday December 6

Re: MLB Draft Lottery Tuesday December 6

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    At the end of the day I’m just so tired of being a Reds fan. Legit nothing to look forward to for 2023. Absolutely nothing. The Castellini led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.
    It's a storm of poop for sure... but I'll counter that this sport is like the ocean, tide in, tide out.

1900 - The Brush led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1915 - The Herrmann led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1932 - The Weil led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1959 - The Crosley led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1966 - The DeWitt led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1983 - The Williams led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1997 - The Schott led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

2005 - The Lindner led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

The marketplace is problematic in relation to the other marketplaces it competes with and that seems to always be the case.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, what's wrong with the 7th pick? No, it's not 1-6 but does that really matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Paris pitched much better than Neagle in 1999. The Reds had won 15 of his 21 starts going into that game. Neagle, who was injured for a good part of the season, pitched quite poorly. Now maybe a bullpen game was in order, but Neagle wasn't the answer.
    Disagree. Steve Parris was a bad pitcher having a career year. The 1999 team had a great defense which really helped him.
    The next year, Parris normalized back to the journeyman he really was.
    You have to look at the entire body of work and their stuff..Not just the numbers for that particular year.
    There's a reason why Neagle got a huge contract after he left Cincy and Parris didn't.
    Yes, Neagle flopped in Coors, but Parris was awful after 1999 .
    Look at the actual results
    Parris, 2.2 IP, 3 ER
    Neagle 2.1 IP, 1 ER

But at least we agree that Parris was not the answer.
    I agree with the other dude that said the playoff spot was really lost when the team choked at the end of the year too.
    We lost 2 of 3 at Milwaukee, but I think we were also mediocre the last 2 weeks leading up to that (But maybe I am remembering wrong)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

2 of the 3 worst teams ended up with 1st and 2nd pick. The Pirates were basically rewarded for being a horrible franchise that doesn’t try.
    The lottery they should have should be based on # wins rather than # losses. The more wins, the greater a chance at the #1 overall pick.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

REDREAD (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    So you are saying this pick has a 50% chance of being a major leaguer..all hail tanking..( I know a majority of all picks are a crap shoot)
    Going by the #7 picks since 2000 the #7 pick has about a 50% chance of being at least a good MLB player.

9. Likes:

Chip R (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1997 - The Schott led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

2005 - The Lindner led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.
    Basically, yeah, I am at a point I regret spending the past 30 years or whatever being a fan of this team. They have won absolutely nothing. Have not won a playoff series in going on 30 years. What are we doing here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So, what's wrong with the 7th pick? No, it's not 1-6 but does that really matter?
    Can't get Dylan Crews
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

REDREAD (12-07-2022)

Basically, yeah, I am at a point I regret spending the past 30 years or whatever being a fan of this team. They have won absolutely nothing. Have not won a playoff series in going on 30 years. What are we doing here?

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-07-2022),Revering4Blue (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's a storm of poop for sure... but I'll counter that this sport is like the ocean, tide in, tide out.

1900 - The Brush led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1915 - The Herrmann led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1932 - The Weil led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1959 - The Crosley led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1966 - The DeWitt led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

1983 - The Williams led ownership group has ruined this franchise and I frankly don’t think there’s any coming back. Zero hope.

The marketplace is problematic in relation to the other marketplaces it competes with and that seems to always be the case.
    Only one thing solved those problems. Difference now is there are 12 owners that need to sell instead of just one.

I never thought the Reds would end up going the "milk the franchise" route. Shame on all of them for pulling the JC Penney routine on an entity with a fan base.

Shameful.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

15. Likes:

REDREAD (12-07-2022),RedTeamGo! (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Only one thing solved those problems. Difference now is there are 12 owners that need to sell instead of just one.

I never thought the Reds would end up going the "milk the franchise" route. Shame on all of them for pulling the JC Penney routine on an entity with a fan base.

Shameful.
    Actually the Reds have not been owned by one guy but twice (Brush and Crosley)

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-07-2022),HokieRed (12-07-2022),MikeS21 (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    In the grand scheme it doesnt matter very much. Odds of hitting on a player at pick 1 vs pick 7 doesnt seem to really be matter too much unless you have a generational talent in that years class. The bigger impact it probably has on the Reds is you get a little less slot money now, probably about $3MM or so. A team like the Reds who also pick high in round 2 and have a comp pick sandwiched between those two can have some more flexibility to grab a higher priced player with that 2nd or 3rd pick who fell because of contract demands. Kind of how the Reds ended up with Collier last year. Granted he was their first pick so its a little different scenario hes a good example of a guy who fell because of the money he was asking for. He signed for $5MM which was like $2MM over the set slot value. Their will be similar, but probably not as high profile players sitting for the Reds in a similar situation for that Comp pick and 2nd round pick. In theory if the Reds had lets say the 3rd pick overall they could end up with the exact same player they will end up taking at 7, but that is probably $2MM or so in bonus money they cant spend on better players later on.

The even bigger factor is will the Reds actually spend money on improving this roster before this years draft class reaches the big league.

19. Likes:

757690 (12-07-2022),REDREAD (12-07-2022),Roy Tucker (12-07-2022)

Can't get Dylan Crews
    So?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I’m disappointed to fall to #7 but there will be massive movement in the rankings between now and June. Not getting Crews is the least of my concerns about this broken franchise.

22. Likes:

Chip R (12-07-2022)

In the overall grand scheme of things, I doubt getting the #7 slot vs others matters a whole lot.

But it does seem to show the Reds just aren’t getting much luck these days. And they sure as heck could use some.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Chip R (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Going by the #7 picks since 2000 the #7 pick has about a 50% chance of being at least a good MLB player.
    That makes sense, because overall.. All first round picks, the chance of just appearing in one game as a MLB is about 50% (There's no qualification of "Good")

So yes, possible to get a good player at #7.. But at the same time, obviously, it's better to have the overall #1 pick because then the pool has 6 more highly regarded guys to choose from.
    All the picks 1-6 are highly thought of, obviously.

So yea, not tragic that we got #7, but let's don't pretend that #7 is as good as #1.. Hunter Greene would not have lasted until the #7 pick , for example.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?