Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022 Part III - Lets Go Bowling

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: NCAA Football 2022 Part III - Lets Go Bowling

Sounds like Mike Zimmer is joining Deion's staff at Colorado as the new DC.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-08-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Would like him with Buckeyes but they reportedly don’t play the up-front NIL game, so he will probably end up in Texas somewhere.
    I wonder how long this up front NIL stuff will last.

Texas A&M, Miami and a couple others have obviously been aggressive with it and all they got for it was awful seasons and among the most players in the transfer portal. It’s one year, so maybe that’s just a coincidence…but it’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

Texas A&M, Miami and a couple others have obviously been aggressive with it and all they got for it was awful seasons and among the most players in the transfer portal. It’s one year, so maybe that’s just a coincidence…but it’s not.
    Most of the players that transferred from TAMU were sophomores/juniors about to be pushed out by those NIL kids.

We don’t really know full effects of the up front NIL stuff yet. It will take a few years. In the meantime the up front NIL schools are trying to poach recruits from schools like OSU, UM, ND, etc that aren’t throwing millions of dollars at HS kids up front.

OSU is in danger of losing multiple recruits 2 weeks before signing day to the likes of Miami and Auburn and not much OSU can do about it. They also completely whiffed on the big 3 DE recruits, Wilson, Keely, and MU. I see absolutely no reason to keep Larry Johnson on staff at this point.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Sounds like Mike Zimmer is joining Deion's staff at Colorado as the new DC.
    Not according to ESPN

Alabama's Charles Kelly joins Colorado as defensive coordinator

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ve-coordinator

On the Mandel/Feldman podcast today they were opining that the smart play (for spending NIL money) is to go after established guys in the portal rather than go after the 4-5 star high schoolers. Which makes a lot of sense.

Things are really getting wacky and I can’t imagine what the college football landscape will look like in a couple years.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not according to ESPN

Alabama's Charles Kelly joins Colorado as defensive coordinator

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ve-coordinator
    Yeah, just saw that. If he does join, perhaps it's an advisory role similar to Lewis' at Arizona State.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-08-2022)

Most of the players that transferred from TAMU were sophomores/juniors about to be pushed out by those NIL kids.

We don’t really know full effects of the up front NIL stuff yet. It will take a few years. In the meantime the up front NIL schools are trying to poach recruits from schools like OSU, UM, ND, etc that aren’t throwing millions of dollars at HS kids up front.

OSU is in danger of losing multiple recruits 2 weeks before signing day to the likes of Miami and Auburn and not much OSU can do about it. They also completely whiffed on the big 3 DE recruits, Wilson, Keely, and MU. I see absolutely no reason to keep Larry Johnson on staff at this point.
    Eh not most, some. But it looks like 8 or 9 were in the last. 2 recruiting classes.

I have no idea how it’s going to all go, but this isn’t a sustainable model. Boosters aren’t gonna toss around money for guys that leave like is already happening at a bunch of schools.

And you sort of inadvertently made the point with Johnson. By all accounts he basically did land those guys and they are likely going elsewhere because of money. Is that Johnson’s fault? Is that OSUs fault? Are those guys going to stay at those schools for more than a year or two? If all this money flies around for 5-7 seasons and coaches getting fired than what’s the point?

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-08-2022)

What’s stopping some teams NIL from say, offering Marvin Harrison Jr. 10 million for next season?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What’s stopping some teams NIL from say, offering Marvin Harrison Jr. 10 million for next season?
    Absolutely nothing. Don't be surprised if stuff like this happens. There are already rumors Tennessee has been reaching out to Dallan Hayden.

Absolutely nothing. Don't be surprised if stuff like this happens. There are already rumors Tennessee has been reaching out to Dallan Hayden.
    There were a lot of rumors that teams were going after Drake Maye with big money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Technically there are rules that prevent this, but it seems like they really aren’t enforced and it would be very difficult to do so.

16. Likes:

Chip R (12-09-2022)

Technically there are rules that prevent this, but it seems like they really aren’t enforced and it would be very difficult to do so.
    There are absolutely no rules right now.

I mean, there is precedence from last year with this. Last year's Bilitnekof winner went to USC and it was the most known secret I have ever seen that there was tampering going on.

Really, it wouldn't be that shocking with Marvin Harrison JR. He is going into his 3rd year as the best NFL draft prospect in the country and will have an unproven QB (I know McCord was his QB in in high school, however not exactly glowing reviews coming out from the WHAC on him). Would anyone be surprised if suddenly Harrison decommits and goes to USC for one year?

OSU needs to figure out NIL and like right now or they are going to turn into a 9-3 kind of team and not an annual national title contender. We are already seeing the effects on recruiting. OSU is suddenly falling behind there. Literally could not get a RB this cycle. Could not get a star DE this cycle. Rumors swirling about their best CB recruit that is an OHIO KID going to Miami suddenly. Not good, not good at all.

I know the average player rating is high on the class, but that is getting heavily weighed by the 4 WRs committed. And like I said about having 4 5 star QBs on the roster last year or so: When you have 10 5 star WRs on the roster, you actually only have 3.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 12-08-2022 at 09:40 AM.

18. Likes:

Chip R (12-09-2022)

There are absolutely no rules right now.

I mean, there is precedence from last year with this. Last year's Bilitnekof winner went to USC and it was the most known secret I have ever seen that there was tampering going on.

Really, it wouldn't be that shocking with Marvin Harrison JR. He is going into his 3rd year as the best NFL draft prospect in the country and will have an unproven QB (I know McCord was his QB in in high school, however not exactly glowing reviews coming out from the WHAC on him). Would anyone be surprised if suddenly Harrison decommits and goes to USC for one year?

OSU needs to figure out NIL and like right now or they are going to turn into a 9-3 kind of team and not an annual national title contender. We are already seeing the effects on recruiting. OSU is suddenly falling behind there. Literally could not get a RB this cycle. Could not get a star DE this cycle. Rumors swirling about their best CB recruit that is an OHIO KID going to Miami suddenly. Not good, not good at all.

I know the average player rating is high on the class, but that is getting heavily weighed by the 4 WRs committed. And like I said about having 4 5 star QBs on the roster last year or so: When you have 10 5 star WRs on the roster, you actually only have 3.
    I mean there are tampering rules, but no one cares. They probably should care, but if no one is going to enforce it or bother trying than right there are basically no rules.

I am fairly unconcerned about NIL re OSU. You can poo poo class rankings and how it’s distributed all you want, but until OSU starts falling out of the top 5 for average star rankings, than I don’t really care. Probably need to be aggressive from time to time with the portal, but OSU has also gotten some incredibly meaningful transfers in the last several years too, so not too worried that they won’t.

Like I’ve said before the NIL transfer portal combo doesn’t really make me want to be giving guys a lot of upfront money. If that’s what they want, ok great, go some where else. I’ll need to see a lot more evidence that it works because so far the evidence is that it doesn’t work.

Like I’ve said before the NIL transfer portal combo doesn’t really make me want to be giving guys a lot of upfront money. If that’s what they want, ok great, go some where else. I’ll need to see a lot more evidence that it works because so far the evidence is that it doesn’t work.
    As a whole, the combination of NIL with a free transfer has weaponized college football recruiting to the point it's a huge turnoff for me. Especially given that there's essentially no rules around it (or at least that are enforced), as you mentioned...

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-08-2022)

I mean there are tampering rules, but no one cares. They probably should care, but if no one is going to enforce it or bother trying than right there are basically no rules.

I am fairly unconcerned about NIL re OSU. You can poo poo class rankings and how it’s distributed all you want, but until OSU starts falling out of the top 5 for average star rankings, than I don’t really care. Probably need to be aggressive from time to time with the portal, but OSU has also gotten some incredibly meaningful transfers in the last several years too, so not too worried that they won’t.

Fields was before NIL. If NIL existed do we really think he would have come to OSU? Doubt.

As for the average player rating point: we are already seeing the effect. OSU has not recruited well on defense. Particularly LB and CB for like 5 years now. Suddenly OSU is getting pushed around by Michigan, Oregon, Bama and giving up huge pass plays. We’ve already seen the direct effect. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse. But hey, Julian Fleming was a 5 star. Hooray.

Turn Off Ads?