Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022 Part III - Lets Go Bowling

Re: NCAA Football 2022 Part III - Lets Go Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Fields was before NIL. If NIL existed do we really think he would have come to OSU? Doubt.

As for the average player rating point: we are already seeing the effect. OSU has not recruited well on defense. Particularly LB and CB for like 5 years now. Suddenly OSU is getting pushed around by Michigan, Oregon, Bama and giving up huge pass plays. We’ve already seen the direct effect. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse. But hey, Julian Fleming was a 5 star. Hooray.
    There was no reason Fields should have been at OSU. I think it was what Haskins did as well as both of their connections to Quincy Avery.

There is no reason Stroud, Brown, or Raiola should be at OSU or committed to OSU. But outside of Lincoln Riley, no one has developed QB's better than Ryan Day. They will continue to come to OSU, and I would argue playing QB at OSU may be the most valuable position in the entirety of college football.

NIL will tame down, and hopefully be better regulated in the future. The two biggest spenders, A&M and The U had dismal seasons last year. And to be honest, while stars matter, the collection of talent is almost as important.

One thing to consider with NIL is it is starting to dilute the talent across the nation. A&M was never a top tier recruiting factory, but they landed atop notch class. If Miami is spending, its taking players away from Bama.

Its challenging right now, and OSU may need to head into the transfer portal a little harder this season because of some recruiting misses, but eventually grown men are going to grow tired of throwing tens of thousands towards high school kids who bolt after one season because things didn't go as planned.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-08-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Fields was before NIL. If NIL existed do we really think he would have come to OSU? Doubt.

As for the average player rating point: we are already seeing the effect. OSU has not recruited well on defense. Particularly LB and CB for like 5 years now. Suddenly OSU is getting pushed around by Michigan, Oregon, Bama and giving up huge pass plays. We’ve already seen the direct effect. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse. But hey, Julian Fleming was a 5 star. Hooray.
    There are 3 top 100 LB recruits in the last 2 classes. Corner has lagged a little, but still 2 top 100 corners and Johnson and Hancock have already played.

Yes I think Fields still comes with NIL. Money matters, but it’s still a relationship business.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    As a whole, the combination of NIL with a free transfer has weaponized college football recruiting to the point it's a huge turnoff for me. Especially given that there's essentially no rules around it (or at least that are enforced), as you mentioned...
    Yeah if you just watch the games and don’t pay attention to the rest of it, it’s not really that noticeable. But it’s certainly changed things. On aggregate I think it’s good. Players should get paid and players should have a bit more freedom of movement. Assuming this is the working out the kinks phase of it though and it’s messy.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There was no reason Fields should have been at OSU. I think it was what Haskins did as well as both of their connections to Quincy Avery.

There is no reason Stroud, Brown, or Raiola should be at OSU or committed to OSU. But outside of Lincoln Riley, no one has developed QB's better than Ryan Day. They will continue to come to OSU, and I would argue playing QB at OSU may be the most valuable position in the entirety of college football.

NIL will tame down, and hopefully be better regulated in the future. The two biggest spenders, A&M and The U had dismal seasons last year. And to be honest, while stars matter, the collection of talent is almost as important.

One thing to consider with NIL is it is starting to dilute the talent across the nation. A&M was never a top tier recruiting factory, but they landed atop notch class. If Miami is spending, its taking players away from Bama.

Its challenging right now, and OSU may need to head into the transfer portal a little harder this season because of some recruiting misses, but eventually grown men are going to grow tired of throwing tens of thousands towards high school kids who bolt after one season because things didn't go as planned.
    Dabo Sweeney has a better record of developing QBs than Ryan Day. No OSU QB in the NFL is better than Lawrence and Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dabo Sweeney has a better record of developing QBs than Ryan Day. No OSU QB in the NFL is better than Lawrence and Watson
    I’d take Fields over Lawrence right now.

OSU is in danger of losing multiple recruits 2 weeks before signing day to the likes of Miami and Auburn and not much OSU can do about it. They also completely whiffed on the big 3 DE recruits, Wilson, Keely, and MU. I see absolutely no reason to keep Larry Johnson on staff at this point.
    Have they? The last I saw they were still in on all 3. I don't disagree about Larry Johnson though... They certainly haven't maximized the talent on the DL the last few years. Guys haven't developed enough, and his rotations don't make a lot of sense.

Dabo has been at it longer for sure, but Day's last three signal callers will have been 1st round draft picks. Dabo has had success with Lawrence and Watson, but the others is kinda spotty. Not to get too into the weeds over this, there have been some people saying Dabo's offensive scheme is rather pedestrian and he as been bailed out by generational QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There are 3 top 100 LB recruits in the last 2 classes. Corner has lagged a little, but still 2 top 100 corners and Johnson and Hancock have already played.

Yes I think Fields still comes with NIL. Money matters, but it’s still a relationship business.
    3 LBs aint enough and Powers looks like more of a JACK

And corner has lagged a little? Man, corner is an absolute disaster. Johnson is awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Have they? The last I saw they were still in on all 3. I don't disagree about Larry Johnson though... They certainly haven't maximized the talent on the DL the last few years. Guys haven't developed enough, and his rotations don't make a lot of sense.
    Yeah, Wilson, Keeley, and MU all as good as gone according to Birm. Done deal.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

3 LBs aint enough and Powers looks like more of a JACK

And corner has lagged a little? Man, corner is an absolute disaster. Johnson is awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Wilson, Keeley, and MU all as good as gone according to Birm. Done deal.
    1 or 2 a class is pretty normal and we have 10 scholarship LBs for a spot where 2 guys are usually on the field. We haven’t lagged in LB. We’ve developed a couple guys nicely in chambers and Eichenberg and have some good prospects behind them.

We absolutely need a transfer corner, hopefully the Virginia guy comes. The recruiting class looks pretty good, but corners are hard to project.

I like Birm, but he’s been a little off this cycle. I’m not sure he knows how to handle the NIL stuff with his usual takes. He could be right of course, but there’s been “rumblings” for weeks on those guys and none have committed anywhere and all have coaches visits scheduled, so we will see.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-08-2022)

I wouldnt, though I was 110% convinced he shoudlve gone #2 to the Jets and knew teams like the Panthers and Falcons would deeply regret passing on him. With that being said Fields speed is currently at a level where no defenders can get to him quickly enough in the open field to prevent big gains and if he turns a DBs hips he's taking it to the house. Because of this we likely won't know Fields true passer potential for a few years.

I also toyed with the idea (in mock draft simulators) of Jacksonville trading the #1 overall pick that year for a ridiculous package of picks and taking Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I wouldnt, though I was 110% convinced he shoudlve gone #2 to the Jets and knew teams like the Panthers and Falcons would deeply regret passing on him. With that being said Fields speed is currently at a level where no defenders can get to him quickly enough in the open field to prevent big gains and if he turns a DBs hips he's taking it to the house. Because of this we likely won't know Fields true passer potential for a few years.

I also toyed with the idea (in mock draft simulators) of Jacksonville trading the #1 overall pick that year for a ridiculous package of picks and taking Fields.
    Fields also has zero weapons with the Bears. It is not hyperbole to say he had better offensive weapons at OSU than he does now and he did a lot passing with those guys.

Lawrence has shown enough for me to think he can still progress, but I’m pretty surprised he’s not better. He makes a lot of bad decisions.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-08-2022),Revering4Blue (12-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Dabo has been at it longer for sure, but Day's last three signal callers will have been 1st round draft picks. Dabo has had success with Lawrence and Watson, but the others is kinda spotty. Not to get too into the weeds over this, there have been some people saying Dabo's offensive scheme is rather pedestrian and he as been bailed out by generational QB's.
    Haskins does nothing for Ryan Day's resume on QBs. The jury is still out on Stroud and Fields. I would agree that Dabo had a couple of generational QBs but he should be given credit for getting them to come to Clemson. Quite frankly OSU has some work to do on its reputation for developing QBs. It's more a stigma than anything else

Ohio State QBs in the NFL: Justin Fields can end stigma from history of NFL Draft busts

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...s17n9f3w5ioero

Haskins does nothing for Ryan Day's resume on QBs. The jury is still out on Stroud and Fields. I would agree that Dabo had a couple of generational QBs but he should be given credit for getting them to come to Clemson. Quite frankly OSU has some work to do on its reputation for developing QBs. It's more a stigma than anything else

Ohio State QBs in the NFL: Justin Fields can end stigma from history of NFL Draft busts

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...s17n9f3w5ioero
    Day has put 3 consecutive QBs in the first round and has the 1 overall recruit in the 2024 class committed. If that’s a stigma I’m sure he’s just fine having it. I’m sure Day wants NFL success for guys, but his job is to get them there, which he is with every single guy.

Dabo has a big strike out with DJ here and better hope Klubnik keeps developing.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-08-2022)

To be fair, Lawrence's development sucked because he was being coached by another Buckeye. Looks like he's starting to come out of that crappy coaching.

Also, Fields's window of being successful will be much shorter if he's going to run this much. Teams will eventually catch up to that.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 12-08-2022 at 06:19 PM.

20. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (12-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    To be fair, Lawrence's development sucked because he was being coached by another Buckeye. Looks like he's starting to come out of that crappy coaching.

Also, Fields's window of being successful will be much shorter if he's going to run this much. Teams will eventually catch up to that.
    Urban certainly didn’t help Lawrence, but I’m not gonna say it looks like he’s starting to come out of it. He showed some flashes last year and he’s shown some this year. I wouldn’t say he’s been all that much better this year and he’s certainly shown the same low level of consistency.

Fields will have run less when the Bears hopefully sign/draft some receivers.

Turn Off Ads?