Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022 Part III - Lets Go Bowling

Re: NCAA Football 2022 Part III - Lets Go Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So Bryce Young finishes 6th in the Heisman. Well behind his "rival" CJ Stroud. I assumed it was between them at start if season. Is there some reason he fell out of favor.
    Missed a couple games due to injury
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Because there isn’t an ROI.
    But there is a nice easy way to launder money.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s still very early. We don’t think there will be ROI with Damon Wilson?
    For who?

But no, not with how these collectives are set up. It’s simply not a sustainable model.

Some of them are trying to set up as non profits, which is comical and will also blow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    But there is a nice easy way to launder money.
    Yeah it is, but that’s also not a sustainable model.

For who?

But no, not with how these collectives are set up. It’s simply not a sustainable model.

Some of them are trying to set up as non profits, which is comical and will also blow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it is, but that’s also not a sustainable model.
    https://247sports.com/player/damon-wilson-46114588/

Elite DE. He’s been expected to go to OSU for a year. Kirby Smart thinks he’s the best recruit in the country so he got Coca Cola to cut a check for $750,000 for him. The word is he has always wanted to be a Buckeye and still does. However, OSU cannot even come remotely close in up front NIL money. Who can say no to $750,000? Nobody.

Just to be clear - a NFL owner pays his players - but he at least will one day get a ROI not just in having a better team, but in the form of a franchise that has increased in value.

But anyone that pays for NIL (unless it is directly from a business using NIL for advertising) is just throwing money at the players hoping for better on-field results. No return other than that if you are say, a fan donating to an NIL fund.

I mean it is what it is but man it seems silly for anyone to throw money at OSU’s NIL knowing how much that program already makes and is worth. And granted, if OSU doesn’t get said NIL money, the program will suffer.

I have to think the current system won’t last cause this is just crazy.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-12-2022),BuckeyeRed27 (12-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just to be clear - a NFL owner pays his players - but he at least will one day get a ROI not just in having a better team, but in the form of a franchise that has increased in value.

But anyone that pays for NIL (unless it is directly from a business using NIL for advertising) is just throwing money at the players hoping for better on-field results. No return other than that if you are say, a fan donating to an NIL fund.

I mean it is what it is but man it seems silly for anyone to throw money at OSU’s NIL knowing how much that program already makes and is worth. And granted, if OSU doesn’t get said NIL money, the program will suffer.

I have to think the current system won’t last cause this is just crazy.
    Just to be clear I completely agree with you. No way in hell will I give a penny to an NIL fund.

I think it just unironically means more down south.

Miss St head coach Mike Leach is hospitalized and it looks to be pretty serious

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...alized-jackson

The college football world was hit with some absolutely shocking and quite concerning news on Sunday afternoon as Mississippi State Bulldogs head football coach Mike Leach is facing a serious health scare.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...b1i?li=BBnb7Kz

https://247sports.com/player/damon-wilson-46114588/

Elite DE. He’s been expected to go to OSU for a year. Kirby Smart thinks he’s the best recruit in the country so he got Coca Cola to cut a check for $750,000 for him. The word is he has always wanted to be a Buckeye and still does. However, OSU cannot even come remotely close in up front NIL money. Who can say no to $750,000? Nobody.
    Right I know who Damon Wilson is. For who meant who is getting the ROI. I don’t blame kids getting money if schools are going to offer it.

I don’t really believe that Coca Cola story, but fine, let’s say it’s true. Why would they do that?

Boosters have been giving loads of money to schools for no real reason other than wanting the team to win (and to get some access) forever. Same deal here, but the money goes to the players instead. Better yet, the NIL guys get access to the players themselves. I've never been particularly interested in giving to athletics program myself, but I'm not sure why it's surprising that a bunch of rich people want to spend a lot of money to ensure their favorite sports team succeeds.

14. Likes:

Chip R (12-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Boosters have been giving loads of money to schools for no real reason other than wanting the team to win (and to get some access) forever. Same deal here, but the money goes to the players instead. Better yet, the NIL guys get access to the players themselves. I've never been particularly interested in giving to athletics program myself, but I'm not sure why it's surprising that a bunch of rich people want to spend a lot of money to ensure their favorite sports team succeeds.
    But that’s not the same.

You get someone for giving money to the school. The NIL stuff can’t actually go through the school, so you don’t get that stuff. And that’s just for rich boosters.

There’s certainly potential for companies, but let’s use this $750k Coca Cola story as an example. They simply aren’t giving that’s up front to a college football player that no one has ever heard of, might never play for that school and might never be good and actually help them sell Coca Cola.

And what are just normal people going to be kicking money towards?

The amount of money involved to have these $400k plus for the entire team? Ok I can see a foundation being successful enough to do that once or twice. But every year? Get out of here. Again, there is no ROI. It isn’t how people spend their money.

What do you get for giving money to the school? Some nice seats? Access to the AD and maybe coaches?

You don't think those same rich boosters will pony up to make sure their collective can make the best offer to top recruits? And then get access to events where they get to hang out with those same players? Rich old people will be all over that.

Pretty simple: Coca Cola advertises at Georgia’s stadium a lot, the better they are the more their ads are seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    What do you get for giving money to the school? Some nice seats? Access to the AD and maybe coaches?

You don't think those same rich boosters will pony up to make sure their collective can make the best offer to top recruits? And then get access to events where they get to hang out with those same players? Rich old people will be all over that.
    No. I don’t think they will do that consistently which is why I don’t think this is a sustainable model.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty simple: Coca Cola advertises at Georgia’s stadium a lot, the better they are the more their ads are seen.
    And they can do that for a fraction of the price and they don’t care if Wilson’s name is on the billboard.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Miss St head coach Mike Leach is hospitalized and it looks to be pretty serious

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...alized-jackson

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...b1i?li=BBnb7Kz
    Not looking good at all...

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/1...ements-support

Short answer is this isn’t what NIL is going to look like long term.
    Yeah, a big problem is that there's no regulation. The feds won't touch it, the NCAA has been hands off and it's up to each state to make their own rules. Only it's tough for them to do that because they don't know what the other states will do. Kind of like a big game of Chicken. If the state of Georgia has certain rules about NILs, Florida may have less stringent rules and then you have an arms race with NILs. So it's the wild, wild west now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?