Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds Remain In Slow Burn of Their Rebuild

Re: Reds Remain In Slow Burn of Their Rebuild

The Reds can't compete for top tier FA's and I don't think that would makes sense however I think you would want them to go out and sign Tier II and III FA's...

They need to realize the window of Greene and India etc being cheap only lasts so long.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    You know who doesn't think in terms of "windows?" St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers. They go after it every year. That's all we want from the Reds.
    Apparently, you have not paid too much attention to the Brewers over the last four months...

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    What about the six starts before that? And before that? It’s easy to pick out a stretch of good outings. But which one is the real Hunter Greene?
    The important thing for a rookie is to show improvement, and he did that (his last ten starts he had a sub 3 era and a 0.60 HR/9). He’s not a sure thing, but he’s not a reliever yet.

You can check out his splits over at baseball reference.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    The Reds have ~$70M committed right now to the roster and the GM telling any microphone in front of him there's not much left to spend. There is ZERO justification for the Cincinnati Reds to have a payroll south of $100M. ZERO.
    Why spend money to just spend money? Its like going to the mall or shopping online because you are bored. The Reds do not need to go out and spend a bunch money and finish last or maybe make the last wild card spot at best. They will be stuck in the continuous 73-83 win total with the fans screaming for more pieces and never compete for a WS. If it was easy to just spend to win a WS, why haven't the Yankees or Angels won a WS lately? A $100m payroll is not much different than a $70m payroll. Lets get Votto and Moose off the books, sign a few short term FA pieces, let the young players develop, and see what happens...JMO

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-06-2022)

It goes back to "where you gonna' go?" for me. This ownership can pound sand.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by #13 View Post
    Why spend money to just spend money? Its like going to the mall or shopping online because you are bored. The Reds do not need to go out and spend a bunch money and finish last or maybe make the last wild card spot at best. They will be stuck in the continuous 73-83 win total with the fans screaming for more pieces and never compete for a WS. If it was easy to just spend to win a WS, why haven't the Yankees or Angels won a WS lately? A $100m payroll is not much different than a $70m payroll. Lets get Votto and Moose off the books, sign a few short term FA pieces, let the young players develop, and see what happens...JMO
    I miss the days when players just "retired" because they weren't any good, rather than hanging around to take every dollar they can, to the detriment of the team.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

This cheap ownership just had the highest payroll in team history and apparently that wasn't enough for most fans. It led to zero runs in the playoffs in 2020 and a huge choke down the stretch in 2021. The Reds decided to blow it up and start over and the fans want them to add even more pieces. The players blew it, the window has closed, but the fans want those same players to remain on the team...why?? They had their chance and were given everything they needed and could not get it done. Its time to move onto this new group of young players or move on as a fan. The same fan narrative is getting stale, the Reds are trying to set up this franchise to compete for a decade, not go all in for a year or two...all just my opinion and I have been through the season of 1982, it could be a lot worse...believe me.
    Two things: 1. When the Reds supposedly did everything they could and the players just blew it, there were some obvious holes in the depth of that team that should have been anticipated and filled. But even short of that, not winning a playoff game is hardly a reason to say that investing more resources in the team - which made it significantly better - is a failed approach. 2. Cutting last year's and this year's payroll helps the future if these cuts are added to future payrolls. Do you seriously think that is the plan? If so, why don't the Reds say that? It could give a better impression than that the current public perception that they are cutting the payroll just to save money and fatten their wallets.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 12-06-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Chronic inability to type full sentences without typos.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (12-07-2022),Redsfan6272 (12-06-2022)

Why spend money to just spend money?
    You spend money to acquire talent so that you win more games.

I cannot believe that has to be explained to some "fans" of the Reds.

There is no trophy for finishing with the best value.

14. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (12-06-2022),Redhook (12-06-2022),Ron Madden (12-06-2022),Roy Tucker (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I miss the days when players just "retired" because they weren't any good, rather than hanging around to take every dollar they can, to the detriment of the team.
    Every other post from you makes it seem like you want the return of pre free agency days and the reserve clause. No thanks.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Every other post from you makes it seem like you want the return of pre free agency days and the reserve clause. No thanks.
    I'm not at all in support of the game being completely out of control, in terms of salary inflation like it has been for quite awhile now. You seem to be fully in support of that. No thanks.

Edit:. What the game desperately needs is a salary cap, and a financial model more friendly to the pockets of the average fan. Yes, please.
    Last edited by OldFashionedRed; 12-06-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I'm not at all in support of the game being completely out of control, in terms of salary inflation like it has been for quite awhile now. You seem to be fully in support of that. No thanks.
    So you're in favor of players being property and having the inability to set their own price in the marketplace like the majority of professions in American society?

19. Likes:

LeatherPants (12-06-2022),Ron Madden (12-06-2022),wally post (12-08-2022)

By anyone's definition, the Reds had a horrible PR year in 2022. "Where are you gonna go?" went viral.

It's somehow surprising to me, even though I know it shouldn't be, that their reaction to this was to say "we're actually gonna spend less money this year"

And fine, spending money stupidly just to appear to do something isn't a good idea. But at least come out and try to reassure fans that the team is headed in a good direction. But they don't even seem to be doing that.

21. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (12-06-2022),Coopdaddy67 (12-06-2022),Fil3232 (12-06-2022),Mitri (12-06-2022),REDREAD (12-07-2022),Redsfan6272 (12-06-2022),Revering4Blue (12-06-2022),Ron Madden (12-06-2022),Roy Tucker (12-06-2022),westofyou (12-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    The front office hasn't, that i know of, even shared a plan to ever win anything... Just cut costs and pocket the revenue...Winning is not on their list.. Beat writers don't even question them on that they would be hammered in St Louis, LA, NY Etc... but here, they care more about their free food at the ballpark

The Cardinals have 16 of 17 winning seasons.. Thats why they get 3 million fans. Reds fans get excuses and Hope and Fate, but dont expect the front office to fix anything
    Krall said their plan is to eliminate peaks and valleys, which sounds like something a guy without a good plan might say. To their credit, the Reds are halfway there. They've eliminated the peaks. The action plan to eliminate the valleys is still forthcoming. Based on 2022 and what's apparently coming in 2023, I'm wondering if there was a typo and he actually said eliminate the peaks and accentuate the valleys.

Or maybe he was referring to eliminating peaks and valleys in payroll. If so, doesn't that blow the suggestion out of the water from some here that savings from a lower payroll in 2023 and beyond might result in a higher payroll at some future point when the team is ready to compete?
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 12-06-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Right! The Yankees only won 99 games last year. They should steal the Reds model.

24. Likes:

Crumbley (12-08-2022)

Eliminate peaks and valleys, huh? I’m not sure what peaks he’s talking about but that statement sounds like an organizational goal of consistent mediocrity...that is, if they can ever escape the valley they are living in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?