Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Bench "This is your Life" 1972

Johnny Bench "This is your Life" 1972

I had always wanted to see this as i missed it as a kid.. and i just found it.. love to share the link for Johnny Bench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09npnHlkxwQ

2. Likes:

goreds2 (12-09-2022),RedsBaron (12-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Bench "This is your Life" 1972

My younger brother and I were at that game. It was a true WTF moment trying to figure out what was going on. The crowd didn’t know what was about to happen either. I just remember it being tremendously awkward.

Seeing the video, I feel really old.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-09-2022),Redsfan6272 (12-09-2022)

I probably saw it when it happened. I was 14 and other than fantasizing about the girls in my 8th grade class, the Reds were my whole life. Bench was what, 24 at the time? A "This is Your Life" for a 24 year old. That's unique.

I believe I saw this when it originally aired. Bench was a national celebrity then. He was on everything, it seemed. So it wouldn't have been too much of a surprise see a This is Your Life show done on him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I believe I saw this when it originally aired. Bench was a national celebrity then. He was on everything, it seemed. So it wouldn't have been too much of a surprise see a This is Your Life show done on him.
    The show didn't bring in the hottest of celebrities, it brought in the ones who were famous and in the public eye for many years. Having one for a ball player that was in the public eye for all of 4 years is very surprising. And while Bench was a national celebrity, was he really bigger than every other active ball player back then? Seaver, Yaz, Ernie, Willie, Mickey etc...? The last 3 I mentioned would be the one's I would expect more than Bench.

It makes me wonder if the Reds org, decided to campaign for this knowing Bench was having a biopsy done on his lung at end of season and thought it would be a nice gesture on their part because it was unknown if he had many years left. And of course it wasn't know to the public but it was to the organization so they had to do it quietly.

"Johnny Bench is a great athlete, a mediocre everything else, and a true tragedy as a person." --- Vickie Chesser( Johnny's first wife)

That's a third-degree burn right there.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Bench was a national celebrity then. He was on everything, it seemed.

Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

11. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2022)

wonder what his contract would have been if he were in his prime in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Indeed.
    Variety shows were king at that time on TV. It seemed he was on them all. Very few other athletes at that time had the popularity that Bench had.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Variety shows were king at that time on TV. It seemed he was on them all. Very few other athletes at that time had the popularity that Bench had.
    3 years earlier, Joe Namath was the one. Matter of fact, I remember comparisons between the two, though Broadway Joe doing it in New York made him much more main stream. Did they do a "This is Your Life" for him?

What I find humorous (but true), if you'd ask anybody who followed MLB back then to name the first player that came to mind for each team, well, Ernie Banks for the Cubs, Tom Seaver for the Mets, Hank Aaron for Braves, Reggie Jackson for the A's, Yaz for the Sox, Clemente for the Pirates...

Reds? Pete Rose
    Last edited by foster15; 12-09-2022 at 03:14 PM.

The year I was born. They look so young
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

And, exactly half a century later, we celebrate, "This is your REDS".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I can remember watching it on TV. Thanks for finding this!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

When Ralph Edwards was being coy about who it was “your life” about (they used to keep it uncertain who it was for”, he said “it could be for anyone here” and looked around. And the he said “it could be for your life, Fred Kendall!” who was standing nearby. We laughed like yeah sure.

So that has been a topic revisited over the years with my brother Brian.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When Ralph Edwards was being coy about who it was “your life” about (they used to keep it uncertain who it was for”, he said “it could be for anyone here” and looked around. And the he said “it could be for your life, Fred Kendall!” who was standing nearby. We laughed like yeah sure.

So that has been a topic revisited over the years with my brother Brian.
    I remember that. I laughed because it was so obvious Bench was the subject of the show.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-09-2022),Roy Tucker (12-09-2022)

Turn Off Ads?