Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Ignored An Important Salary Rule In The CBA

MLB Ignored An Important Salary Rule In The CBA

The difference in approach between some MLB teams is astonishing.

On one hand, you have the New York Mets, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and the like, willing to spend whatever it takes to get in a position to consistently compete for the title.

On the other hand, you have the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Cincinnati Reds, the Washington Nationals, the Oakland Athletics and others trying to get rid of any potentially expensive players, like they were trying not to compete.

This kind of imbalance is the root of 100-win teams and 100-loss teams.

According to Michael Ginnitti, founder of salary information site Spotrac, the league should have implemented a salary floor in recent collective bargaining agreement (CBA) negotiations.

It’s not so much as the league ignored the issue: it’s that owners don’t want anything to do with the idea of a salary floor.

Until that changes, there won’t be true competitive balance in the league
    story here:
    https://www.thecoldwire.com/mlb-igno...le-in-the-cba/

2. Likes:

mbgrayson (12-10-2022),REDREAD (12-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Ignored An Important Salary Rule In The CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The difference in approach between some MLB teams is astonishing.
    story here:
    https://www.thecoldwire.com/mlb-igno...le-in-the-cba/
    Without reading the entire story I kind of agree with this....although the ceiling needs to be as concrete as the floor. 125 m floor....175 m ceiling would make things interesting.

5. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-10-2022),RED VAN HOT (12-10-2022),Ron Madden (12-09-2022)

A $125M floor and $200M ceiling wouldn't hurt the owners one bit.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-12-2022),Old school 1983 (12-10-2022)

I think the luxury tax is enough of a ceiling. Implement similar penalties for going below the floor where the difference is paid into the same fund as the luxury tax.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-12-2022),mbgrayson (12-10-2022),Ron Madden (12-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the luxury tax is enough of a ceiling. Implement similar penalties for going below the floor where the difference is paid into the same fund as the luxury tax.
    What do you suggest the floor should be?

What do you suggest the floor should be?
    I think $125 Million sounds right,
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2022),Old school 1983 (12-10-2022),REDREAD (12-12-2022),Ron Madden (12-09-2022)

I’d go $150M floor, $300M ceiling, but with stiffer penalties for going over the ceiling or under the floor. It’s not a fine, it’s a loss of draft picks.

If enforced, it would result in more spending overall league wide, so the players should approve it. Raising the ceiling should get enough mega market teams behind it.
    Last edited by 757690; 12-09-2022 at 11:47 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (12-10-2022),Ron Madden (12-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’d go $150 floor, $300M ceiling, but with stiffer penalties for going over the ceiling or under the floor. It’s not a fine, it’s a loss of draft picks.

If enforced, it would result in more spending overall league wide, so the players should approve it. Raising the ceiling should get enough mega market teams behind it.
    a hundred and fifty dollars wouldn't accomplish anything. Everyone is above that.

16. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2022)

One man’s floor is another man’s ceiling.

Carry on.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-11-2022),cumberlandreds (12-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    a hundred and fifty dollars wouldn't accomplish anything. Everyone is above that.
    haha, thanks. Corrected it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

A $125M floor and $200M ceiling wouldn't hurt the owners one bit.
    And it would never help the fan, and that's where I draw the line. I just do not agree with runaway inflation and spending just to be spending. Surely I'm not alone here!
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    And it would never help the fan, and that's where I draw the line. I just do not agree with runaway inflation and spending just to be spending. Surely I'm not alone here!
    Not seeing how it impacts you at all. What affects us is the loss of integrity in the game becuase 10 to 15 teams each year decide to simply not try. Adding a salary floor stops them from doing these scorched earth, no intent to win for the next 5 years, approaches that suck the soul out of the game.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2022),Ron Madden (12-10-2022)

The owners who want to win don't want to be stopped from spending and the owners who want to make money don't want to be forced to spend. The only people incentivized to support a cap & floor are those few middle class teams who really want to win and will spend to do so, but just can't quite keep up. In any event, the owners would only do it if it meant they can guarantee to have to spend less than they would otherwise.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-11-2022),Revering4Blue (12-10-2022),Ron Madden (12-10-2022)

A $125 million floor and a $135 million ceiling. If you can spend more than that? Congrats pocket the cash and get richer. If you can't spend that much? Sell.

Let baseball thrive on how smart the FO is and take money out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    A $125 million floor and a $135 million ceiling. If you can spend more than that? Congrats pocket the cash and get richer. If you can't spend that much? Sell.

Let baseball thrive on how smart the FO is and take money out of the equation.
    Players would never go for this.

27. Likes:

mth123 (12-10-2022),Ron Madden (12-10-2022)

Turn Off Ads?