Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Draft Discussion

Re: 2023 Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I agree, of course, but Dollander's stuff has backed up this season. Precipitously. And Waldrep's struggling to throw strikes. (Seriously so.)

I'd be fine with Dollander at #7, as his upside is immense, but I can definitely see the argument for choosing the safer, higher floor Lowder instead.
    For me it depends on if the Reds are going to add a good veteran SP or not. If they plan on trading for or signing a good mid rotation SP then I'm fine drafting more of a project with higher upside. If they aren't going to acquire a SP then drafting Lowder makes a ton of sense. We might have Abbott in the big league mix by draft day so that could push them away from Lowder if Abbott looks ready IDK. You can never have enough pitching and the Reds are in a position to get a good one at #7.

Still hoping Jenkins or Clark are there at 7 though lol.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Callis' first 2023 mock

7. Reds: Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi (No. 8)
    Gonzalez has the ability to hit for both average and power, though scouts are divided about his ability to remain at shortstop despite him starting there for the U.S. collegiate national team the last two summers.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'd rather the Reds go SP than another IF who likely needs to play third. If Dollander and Lowder are on the board take one. If they draft Gonzalez they have to be sure his power will come around enough to make him a potential 3 hole hitter. Interesting that Meyer is in that top 10. He's a potential front line starter, but you would have to show some patience. It could come down to a safe pick(Wilson, Gonzalez or Lowder) vs a riskier higher upside pick(Nimmala or Meyer) for the Reds.

I want Lowder. Kind of pitcher the Cleveland Guardians select and turn into a CY candidate
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Ideally I’d like an OF or a SP.

Max Clark, Walker Jenkins, Wyatt Langford, etc
    Gonzalez sounds like more (or even a worse version) of what we already have in spades
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Gonzalez sounds like more (or even a worse version) of what we already have in spades
    Gonzalez looks like he'll be a serviceable starting SS or perhaps an elite defender at 3B.

There's little wrong with that.

Assuming a miracle doesn’t occur and either Jenkins or Clark isn’t there I have no issue with taking Dollander. I really doubt he has any interest in going back to school after this season so maybe you get him at a discount to slot. If he is gone I will break with consensus and take the top high school arm Noble Meyer

I have a pretty big issue with taking Dollander, he has sucked this year

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

There are worse things in the world than ending up with another Jonathan India.

Which is what Gonzalez sounds like.

Still thinking it's got to be a pitcher. Reds likely to have a shot at one of the top 2-3 arms in the country.

12. Likes:

malcontent (05-19-2023),RedTeamGo! (05-05-2023)

I could see the Reds viewing Gonzalez as a Votto replacement as the left hand hitter you can put in the #3 spot everyday. He should be athletic enough for RF if it came down to it. My concern with Gonzalez is his numbers this year are very similar to his freshman year. I would like to see those tick up by the end of the season to show some progression from his freshman year to junior year. I wouldn't mind the Reds snagging Gonzalez' Ole Miss teammate Kemp Alderman in a later round if they were looking for a big power masher.

As far as Dollander sucking this year well that's the reason the Reds might have a chance to pick him at #7. If he was pitching like he did last year he'd be gone after the first 3 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have a pretty big issue with taking Dollander, he has sucked this year
    I get that and I would agree if it was a Kumar Rocker situation where the velocity has dropped and the breaking stuff is flat. From what I have read (I have not seen him pitch) his stuff is the same but the command has been shakey so he is falling behind in counts which leads to giving up hard hits and walks.

IF he is healthy (maybe he isn’t) he still has elite stuff and there just are not that many great arms in this draft

Skenes with 7 1/3 0 ER and 15 K's vs Auburn yesterday. I would have a hard time passing him up at #1. You don't get a chance to draft a pitcher like this very often. Lowder went 7 scoreless with 9 K's vs #19 ranked Boston College.

16. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-06-2023)

Any other year Skenes is easily the number 1 pick. Not this year. Gotta take Crews if you’re the Pirates. Brutal year to have the third pick, not sure I’ve ever seen a more clear cut top

I’m gonna be real pissed if the Reds take a college SS over Lowder.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Any other year Skenes is easily the number 1 pick. Not this year. Gotta take Crews if you’re the Pirates. Brutal year to have the third pick, not sure I’ve ever seen a more clear cut top

I’m gonna be real pissed if the Reds take a college SS over Lowder.
    If I'm the Pirates I'm taking Skenes. They don't have anything close to a Skenes in their organization. They have a solid position player core with Reynolds, Cruz, Hayes, and Suwinski plus most of the their top prospects are position players. I'd take the hammer #1 SP to go with that group. If they hadn't just signed Reynolds I might lean towards Crews, but with him locked up and their OF already playing well I'd go Skenes

19. Likes:

mth123 (05-06-2023)

Turn Off Ads?