Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Browning Found Dead

Re: Tom Browning Found Dead

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I know most will remember Browning's perfect game or his win in the WS. Those are not his best wins. The most important win of his career was game 2 of the NLCS. Jim Leyland had the Cy Young winner in Doug Drabek. Everyone assumed he would start against Jose Rijo in game 1. Leyland started Bob Walk in game 1 to try and assure a split in Cincinnati. Bob Walk won game 1. Pittsburgh in the driver's seat with the Cy Young winner starting game 2 against Tom Browning. Tom Browning, pitching the most important game of the year for the Reds threw an 8 inning gem giving up just 1 run. Reds won 2-1. Drabek threw a complete game in the loss. We don't beat the Pirates going to Pittsburgh down 0-2. Game 2, 1990 NLCS Tom Browning's best and most important win as a Cincinnati Red. Thank you for a glorious year. R.I.P.
    This was mentioned earlier in this thread, but still a good call on your part. (BTW: 6 innings, not 8)

2. Likes:

George Foster (12-21-2022),NC Reds (01-07-2023),smixsell (01-06-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Truer words…. He really was incredibly genuine. About the easiest guy to root for.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-21-2022),CySeymour (12-27-2022),goreds2 (12-21-2022),Old school 1983 (12-22-2022),Redsfaithful (12-21-2022),Ron Madden (12-21-2022)

I know most will remember Browning's perfect game or his win in the WS. Those are not his best wins. The most important win of his career was game 2 of the NLCS. Jim Leyland had the Cy Young winner in Doug Drabek. Everyone assumed he would start against Jose Rijo in game 1. Leyland started Bob Walk in game 1 to try and assure a split in Cincinnati. Bob Walk won game 1. Pittsburgh in the driver's seat with the Cy Young winner starting game 2 against Tom Browning. Tom Browning, pitching the most important game of the year for the Reds threw an 8 inning gem giving up just 1 run. Reds won 2-1. Drabek threw a complete game in the loss. We don't beat the Pirates going to Pittsburgh down 0-2. Game 2, 1990 NLCS Tom Browning's best and most important win as a Cincinnati Red. Thank you for a glorious year. R.I.P.
    Look at post 49. I wrote about that there. It was his biggest win of his career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

George Foster (12-21-2022),goreds2 (12-26-2022),Ron Madden (12-21-2022),Roy Tucker (12-21-2022)

He almost pitched another no hitter against the Padres in 1989 I think. Had 1-2 outs to go.

9. Likes:

Chip R (12-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    He almost pitched another no hitter against the Padres in 1989 I think. Had 1-2 outs to go.
    Browning had a bid for a no-hitter broken up earlier in the season. On June 6, 1988, against the San Diego Padres at Jack Murphy Stadium, Browning took a no-hitter into the ninth inning. Tony Gwynn singled with one out; it was the only hit Browning allowed in defeating the Padres, 12–0.
    A good obituary at https://ripbaseball.com/2022/12/20/o...ing-1960-2022/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-22-2022),Ron Madden (12-21-2022)

Browning also had a perfect game broken up in the ninth inning vs. the Phillies at Veterans Stadium on July 5, 1989. Dickie Thon led off the inning with a double.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-22-2022),Falls City Beer (12-26-2022),goreds2 (12-21-2022),NC Reds (01-07-2023)

Jeff Reed Remembers His Friend Tom Browning
    This week has been a time of reflection for former Cincinnati Reds catcher Jeff Reed.

The Providence Academy baseball coach has been remembering his friend, Tom Browning, who died Monday at age 62, and the night that made them famous.

Reed was behind the plate when the left-handed pitcher threw the only perfect game in Reds history, a 1-0 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers, on Sept. 16, 1988. Two years later, they were part of Cincinnati’s 1990 World Series champion team, to date the last Reds team to win the title.

Reed lost not only a teammate, but a longtime friend. Browning was known as a free spirit, famous for getting fined in 1993 for watching a game on the wall at Wrigley Field in uniform as the Reds were playing the Cubs.

“Tom marched to the beat of his own drum. He was a very competitive baseball player, but he was always in a great mood playing the game,” Reed said. “When he was on the mound, he could compete with anyone. He was just a great teammate who liked to have a good time after the game.

Reed looked forward to every time Browning was pitching because he wasn’t one to waste time. Browning’s last start before the perfect game was an eight-inning no-decision in a road game against the Dodgers.

On the night of the perfect game, the players had to wait out a long rain delay that pushed the start time to 10 p.m. but the game was still over by midnight. Browning beat the Dodgers’ Tim Belcher in a pitchers’ duel that lasted 1 hour, 51 minutes.

“Every time Tom was on the mound, the starting players loved it. The guys that play behind the pitcher, they appreciate when you work fast,” Reed said. “The first four innings went by so quick, I looked up and it was the top of the fifth.

There was a lot of waiting around for the start, but once it got going and I saw it was the top of the fifth, that’s when the doorbell went off in my mind. I was like, ‘I don’t think they’ve got a hit and I don’t think we’ve walked anybody. No hits, no walks, no errors, we have the perfect game going. “
    Read Full Story Here:
    https://www.timesnews.net/sports/mlb...f45da0062.html

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (12-25-2022),cumberlandreds (12-26-2022),NC Reds (01-07-2023),Old school 1983 (12-25-2022),Roy Tucker (12-25-2022),UKFlounder (12-25-2022)

Great American Ball Park to host celebration of life for Tom Browning

A celebration of life will be held at Great American Ball Park for the late Tom Browning.

The celebration of life will start at 3 p.m. on Jan. 6 at GABP’s Bally Sports Club, Browning’s obituary reads. A public visitation for Browning’s friends will be held from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.

The former Cincinnati Reds pitcher passed away at the age of 62 on Dec. 19, according to the Boone County Sheriff’s Office.

Tom was a ‘come as you are’ kind of man.

He loved spending his free time with his family, at the ballpark, fishing, listening to music or finding a new adventure.

He was always in positive spirits, highlighting the silver linings of every aspect. Tom always had a big hug to welcome you with, a bright smile on his face to greet you, a twinkle in his eye to show those Irish shenanigans aren’t far off, and when he was really enjoying his days, the infamous giggle.

These are some of the characteristics that are going to be most dearly missed in this man who was a family member to some but a true friend to all.

https://www.fox19.com/2022/12/24/gre...-tom-browning/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-26-2022 at 02:40 PM.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-26-2022),Falls City Beer (12-26-2022),goreds2 (12-26-2022),HokieRed (01-06-2023),Old school 1983 (12-26-2022),WrongVerb (12-26-2022)

RedsMuseum
    @RedsMuseum

A public visitation & celebration of life for Reds Hall of Famer Tom Browning, who passed away on Dec. 19, will be held at Great American Ball Park’s Bally Sports Club on Friday, Jan. 6. Visitation: Noon to 3 p.m. Celebration of Life: 3 p.m.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-06-2023),goreds2 (01-06-2023),HokieRed (01-06-2023)

Bob is charging for water at the service (not a joke).

21. Likes:

REDREAD (01-06-2023)

Spot on. I was at that game. We drove from Florida for games 1 and 2. Everyone was pretty dejected going into game 2 against Cy Young Award winner Drabek, but I could feel it in my bones that "the Bulldog" would come up big and assured everyone that we would win game 2 and go on to take the series.

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-06-2023),George Foster (01-06-2023),goreds2 (01-06-2023)

Reds celebrate Browning's life at GABP
    Before being laid to rest, former Reds pitcher Tom Browning had one final stop on Friday at the most fitting of places: a baseball stadium. The Browning family and the Reds held a public visitation and celebration of life services for "Mr. Perfect" at Great American Ball Park.

The event took place only feet away from the former site of Riverfront Stadium, where Browning once pitched, which was the place where he accumulated friends, teammates and fans while having years of success on the mound.

"The Brownings have lost a beloved son, a father, grandfather, brother, uncle and cousin. Reds Country has lost a favorite player, teammate, coach and family member," Reds CEO Bob Castellini said while speaking at the service. "This ballpark was a second home for Tom. He welcomed everyone he met with warmth and humor, always relaxed, always engaged and always grateful to be surrounded by people. It was just who he was. He loved baseball. He loved being a Cincinnati Red, and he loved his teammates.

"But these passions paled in comparison to the true loves of Tom's life. Beyond the applause and cheers and accolades Tom received as No. 32, Tom's heart belonged to his family."

Marty Brennaman compared Browning to another beloved Reds left-handed pitcher, and broadcaster, in the late Joe Nuxhall.

"He has so many traits that Joe had," Brennaman said. "He never knew a stranger. He was always spectacular to fans. I never heard one person say anything negative about him in this town. That was the same for Joe all the years he and I worked together. People loved him in this town. His passing affected people like it affected me. All I did was cry when I found out that he died. He was just a special guy for me."

Hundreds of mourners went to the public visitation and the funeral service. Among those in attendance were former Reds George Foster, Doug Flynn, Billy Doran, Todd Benzinger, Tommy Helms, Ron Oester, Chris Nichting, Larry Leubbers, Bill Gullickson and Ted Power; former Reds manager Dave Miley; current Reds manager David Bell; former pitcher and Cubs broadcaster Jim DeShaies; and retired umpire and crew chief Randy Marsh.

Browning's wife of 38 years, Debbie, passed away in March. Among family members left behind are Browning's six children, nine grandchildren and his parents, along with many others in his extended family. During the service, each of his children and grandkids left a rose inside his open coffin.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-h...f-tom-browning

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-06-2023),goreds2 (01-06-2023),loudangry (01-07-2023),Roy Tucker (01-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Bob is charging for water at the service (not a joke).
    Why wouldn't he, he had to pay for it.

Tom Browning celebration of life: Remembering ‘Mr. Perfect’s’ life, accomplishments, friendship

Ted Power remembers.

That’s why the former Cincinnati Reds pitcher made the trek from his Sarasota home to Great American Ball Park to see his friend Tom Browning.

For the very last time.

There was never a thought in my mind of missing this celebration,” said Power, “You meet and play with a lot of people in baseball,” he continued, “but you don’t have many friends. Tom was a true friend.”

But there’s more to the Power-Browning connection.

“Marge (Schott) – former owner of the Reds – called me in her office and told me we were about to call up a pitcher from the minor leagues, named Tom Browning,” I was wondering, why would Marge be calling me into her office,” Power continued.

He explained. Power negotiated in his contract to have a private room on the road – today all major league ballplayers have their own single hotel rooms.

“Marge wanted to me room with Tom on the road, and kinda take him under my wing,” Power said. “In fact, Marge told me she’d make up the difference in pay for taking Tom on as a roommate.

“I said yes,” Power said, “and Tom Browning was my first and only roommate.”
    “Let’s just say I relaxed him that entire rookie season,” said roommate and friend Power, “I made sure he wasn’t overwhelmed with coming to the major leagues.”

According to Reds President Phil Castellini: “We’re planning on doing something for Tom,” if not a uniform patch, perhaps his No. 32 on the ballcap.”

There’s another thing the Reds have done already, according to an unnamed team official, they’ve paid for the entire Tom Browning service.

That, for sure is a winner.

https://www.nkytribune.com/2023/01/t...ts-friendship/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-07-2023 at 10:22 PM.

28. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-10-2023),cumberlandreds (01-07-2023),goreds2 (01-08-2023),RED VAN HOT (01-08-2023),Revering4Blue (01-12-2023)

did anyone here grow up playing little league baseball at wright-patt air force base?

tom browning threw out the first pitch of our little league opener in 1985. went on to win 20 games that year for the reds.

30. Likes:

goreds2 (01-08-2023),RED VAN HOT (01-08-2023),Redsfaithful (01-08-2023)

Turn Off Ads?