Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Franco Harris has Died

Franco Harris has Died

I just saw this on the news.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Franco Harris has Died

That's very sad news. And just a few days before the Steelers planned to celebrate this:

I know I'm at a point in my own life where childhood icons, legends, and heroes will pass away. But it doesn't make it any easier to lose someone who was all three.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

4. Likes:

Chip R (12-21-2022),GAC (12-23-2022),goreds2 (12-21-2022),mth123 (12-21-2022),redhawkfish (12-21-2022),Revering4Blue (12-21-2022),Tuff Nut (12-21-2022),westofyou (12-21-2022)

RIP..Franco. An All time great.

6. Likes:

Chip R (12-21-2022),cumberlandreds (12-21-2022),goreds2 (12-21-2022),Revering4Blue (12-21-2022)

Crazy timing. Didn't John Madden die right before ESPN honoring him? Can't believe the Steelers haven't already retired Franco's number

Fifty years to the week since the immaculate reception

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-21-2022)

Sad to hear. RIP Franco.

I remember the Steelers being the sad sacks of the NFL through the 50‘s and 60’s up till Chuck Noll became coach. And then they drafted Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Mel Blount, Jack Ham, Franco, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, and Jack Lambert in the early 70’s. And they’ve been good ever since. I was a Browns fan through that whole era and it was frustrating to watch. The Steelers just beat the snot out of the Browns for a long time.

Franco was a good guy though. Sad to see his passing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-21-2022),goreds2 (12-21-2022),Revering4Blue (12-21-2022),SteelSD (12-21-2022)

I grew up being a Dallas Cowboy fan and up until about 2000 for that matter. So I hated the Steelers as they seemed to almost always have their number. But Franco Harris always seemed like a very good and likable person. I have never read or heard a bad thing about him. Also a great running back who probably wasn't as appreciated as much as should have been during his time. I think he was over shadowed some by his teammates and probably liked being in the background. RIP Franco Harris.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

goreds2 (12-21-2022)

A bad week for the number 32.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (12-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    A bad week for the number 32.
    Can OJ make this a trifecta???

17. Likes:

Chip R (12-21-2022),goreds2 (12-23-2022)

I remember when Franco was criticized at the end of his career for going out of bounds a lot instead of getting a little more yardage. That extended his career. You see players do that all the time now
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-23-2022),Revering4Blue (12-22-2022)

I was a huge AFC Central fan growing up. The Steeler's teams of the 70s were among the greatest. RIP Franco.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

21. Likes:

goreds2 (12-23-2022),redhawkfish (12-23-2022)

I've mentioned this before, but I have two ex-Brothers-in-Laws who were on the field the day of the "No-catch Reception", Starting Linebacker Art Thoms and Starting LG George Buehler, and Thoms stated that he was standing with one of the referees during the celebration with Thoms begging him how can he allow that to happen, and the ref responded, "Yeah, I know he didn't catch that ball. But, if I overturn it, we (the refs) aren't getting out of here alive." And, he meant it. That's the kind of fans they have in Pittspuke.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but I have two ex-Brothers-in-Laws who were on the field the day of the "No-catch Reception", Starting Linebacker Art Thoms and Starting LG George Buehler, and Thoms stated that he was standing with one of the referees during the celebration with Thoms begging him how can he allow that to happen, and the ref responded, "Yeah, I know he didn't catch that ball. But, if I overturn it, we (the refs) aren't getting out of here alive." And, he meant it. That's the kind of fans they have in Pittspuke.
    I thought he got his hands under it. Are you saying that it hit the ground?

Turn Off Ads?