Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Curt Casali to 1y deal, DFA Moustakas

Re: Reds sign Curt Casali to 1y deal, DFA Moustakas

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Disagree there. IMO his problem has been dedication. He has none. Sure, maybe his feet were bothering him but you STILL don't come to camp looking like a fat slob, if you are dedicated to doing things the right way.
    Fart noise

2. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (01-06-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Bad feet don't make you fat, eating too much does. He wouldn't stop eating.

5. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (01-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Bad feet don't make you fat, eating too much does. He wouldn't stop eating.
    Yeap. I'd think that with that kind of money you should be able to hire a chef to make / plan all of your meals. I don't know, to me it's about being a professional. You control the things you can control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Fart noise
    Why the personal attack? Nothing I said was false or unreasonable. Apparently the Reds feel similarly
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Yeap. I'd think that with that kind of money you should be able to hire a chef to make / plan all of your meals. I don't know, to me it's about being a professional. You control the things you can control.

- - - Updated - - -

Why the personal attack? Nothing I said was false or unreasonable. Apparently the Reds feel similarly
    You don’t know anything about Mike Moustakas’s dedication! That’s pure speculation on your part. Unless you or the other poster tracked what he ate or read some credible reporting then you’re making it up…

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-27-2023)

I’m glad to know we’ll still be arguing in 2026 about Moustakas’ weight while the Castellinis continue to cry poor.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-07-2023)

Not that I disagree; but it's still eating 22M by an organization that continually cries it's strapped for cash.

I never agreed with the contract; but where does this go on the list of simply bad contracts by this organization?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Not that I disagree; but it's still eating 22M by an organization that continually cries it's strapped for cash.

I never agreed with the contract; but where does this go on the list of simply bad contracts by this organization?
    Seeing how its the largest contract ever handed out and he was signed to play out of position in the first place, I'd say it's the worst.

I wonder if somehow playing 2B contributed to his feet and leg issues. Probably not, and I can't directly say why, but I wonder. As much as people like to equate those two positions, they are very different skillsets. Each IF position is unique and difficult IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Seeing how its the largest contract ever handed out and he was signed to play out of position in the first place, I'd say it's the worst.

I wonder if somehow playing 2B contributed to his feet and leg issues. Probably not, and I can't directly say why, but I wonder. As much as people like to equate those two positions, they are very different skillsets. Each IF position is unique and difficult IMO.
    The Moose contract is actually an excellent example of what happens with tanking teams.
    The Reds had not tried to win since Leake was traded. No free agent really wanted to be 'the first guy" to sign here.
    They wanted some proof the Reds were trying to win again.
    Moose was the "first domino".. and the Reds had to pay dearly to get him to come here.. but it probably made it an easier sell to Miley, Castallanos, etc
    I'm not saying it was a good idea to sign Moose.
    But it's a case study.
    This is why .. if the Reds ever decide they want to win again (doubtful).. They can't just tell the FA class "Hey we're trying to win now, come here".
    That's going to be met with skepticism. They will have to overpay a guy or two.
    Heck, with this ownership, after the last burndown, it's going to be really difficult to ever sign a high profile FA who is in demand ever again.
    They are going to have to overpay going forward.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

15. Likes:

757690 (01-27-2023),mth123 (01-27-2023),Revering4Blue (01-27-2023),Roy Tucker (01-27-2023)

He played 80 total games at 2b over three seasons and two teams. I can’t imagine it had anything to do with anything.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-27-2023),mth123 (01-27-2023),Ron Madden (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The Moose contract is actually an excellent example of what happens with tanking teams.
    The Reds had not tried to win since Leake was traded. No free agent really wanted to be 'the first guy" to sign here.
    Moose was the "first domino".. and the Reds had to pay dearly to get him to come here.. but it probably made it an easier sell to Miley, Castallanos, etc
    But it's a case study.
    This is why .. if the Reds ever decide they want to win again (doubtful).. They can't just tell the FA class "Hey we're trying to win now, come here".
    Heck, with this ownership, after the last burndown, it's going to be really difficult to ever sign a high profile FA who is in demand ever again.
    I agree they were desperate after years of neglect and the track record made it hard to attract guys without overpaying. So, they overpaid.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

REDREAD (01-27-2023)

I agree they were desperate after years of neglect and the track record made it hard to attract guys without overpaying. So, they overpaid.
    And if they ever want to sign another good free agent, they are going to have to do the same daggone thing…. again.

You’d think they would learn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

GAC (01-27-2023),mth123 (01-27-2023),REDREAD (01-27-2023),Revering4Blue (01-27-2023),Ron Madden (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    And if they ever want to sign another good free agent, they are going to have to do the same daggone thing…. again.

You’d think they would learn.
    I don’t think we need to worry about that anytime soon.
    Last edited by 757690; 01-27-2023 at 12:15 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-31-2023),REDREAD (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t we need to worry about that anytime soon.
    I know. It just frustrates the bejesus out of me. You need to build up a team and get the critical mass of talent so that you can *maintain* that level instead of this idiotic build up-tear down cycle that the Reds seem to think will work. If you suck for years, you end up overspending on talent like Moustakas and end up eating bad contracts. And just perpetuate the perennial bad team cycle.

Contending every decade (if even that) isn’t going to attract fans.

Bah. Idiots. All of them.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-27-2023),GAC (01-27-2023),pahster (02-03-2023),Red Raindog (01-31-2023),REDREAD (01-27-2023),Ron Madden (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But it's a case study.
    I'm okay if they never overpay for a FA again. I haven't read Billy Beane's book, but didn't he win with mostly developed and rookie talent? I don't think the Reds have the fanbase and local economy to spend like some here want to be done, and not collapse financially in the process. Some just want the Reds to spend, spend, spend. I want the Reds to fire, fire, fire the Castellinis. Get them out of here, get some young minds in here with savvy and the driven attitude we'd want those in charge to have.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

I'm okay if they never overpay for a FA again.
    Then they'll likely never win a pennant either too.

I'd prefer to win.

Beane overpaid on occasion for free agents. Every team does.

Caring about ownership's millions-- especially in a system wherein the Reds are given hundreds of millions in welfare-- seems silly.

Just win, baby.

28. Likes:

Chip R (01-30-2023),mth123 (01-27-2023),REDREAD (01-29-2023),Ron Madden (01-27-2023)

Turn Off Ads?