Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A second year pitcher is not established. That's where we disagree.
    Indeed. That is where we disagree.

If you've spent a year in the majors as a starting pitcher, you're an established major league starter.

DeSclafani had a rotation spot on lockdown. He was a mid-20s starter with a 130+ IP the season before (and 129 the year before that and 123 the season before that).

Simon had a rotation spot on lockdown. He had two straight seasons of 175+ IP under his belt.

Straily ended up with a third rotation spot. He, too, had one full season of major league innings plus multiple minor league seasons with lots of innings.

The Reds had three rotation pieces set up with guys who could rightfully have been expected to generate innings.

That is the very definition of protecting the rookies who came up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone know if this is a credible source of information?

It often looks like the Cincinnati Reds try to find ways to complicate their existence and that of their fans a bit more everyday with some of their decisions.

They decided to tear things apart in the 2021-22 offseason and traded most of their talent from that point on.

The roster is decimated and not good enough to compete for a playoff spot for another two or three years.

Fans, of course, are not happy with the Castellinis (who own the franchise).

They didn’t do much this offseason either besides, you know, making one of their few star players a bit mad.

Most of the Reds’ moves since the World Series ended involved acquiring cheap middle infielders.

Jonathan India, the National League Rookie of the Year in 2021, is a middle infielder.

He is a converted second baseman because he moved through the minor league ranks as a third baseman.

But Cincinnati has signed Matt Reynolds, Chad Pinder, Richie Martin, Jason Vosler, and Kevin Newman, all of them infielders.

A Reds news account wondered how many middle infielders (second baseman, to be specific) does the team need to sign in order for all of us to wonder what their long-term plans are.

The player had some comments to that.

Jonathan India
    @JonathanIndia
    thank you for this.

Reds in Four
    @RedsInFour
    At what point does the overwhelming amount of 2B the #Reds have signed this offseason cause us to ask what the long term plan is for Jonathan India...?

2:27 PM · Feb 2, 2023

Clearly, it’s something that India is asking himself, too: his long-term role in the organization.

India had a down season offensively last year with a .705 OPS after posting a .835 mark in 2021.

However, it was on defense where he declined the most: he had 0 Defensive Runs Saved in 2021, but -14 last campaign.

The organization made him change positions, so he deserves more patience.

It’s clear, however, that India might not last much longer in Cincinnati.

https://www.thecoldwire.com/reds-inf...ard-situation/

4. Likes:

REDREAD (02-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    He's cheap right now

He's also not a second baseman

He's not going anywhere unless he brings back talent

6. Likes:

HokieRed (02-03-2023),Old school 1983 (02-04-2023),Revering4Blue (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Here is a link to the reply on twitter that India gave:

https://twitter.com/jonathanindia/st...wAcmDKLwHtlhiQ

He also had the exact same reply to another comment that was complimentary of him:

https://twitter.com/jonathanindia/st...wAcmDKLwHtlhiQ

I don’t put my weight into what an athlete puts on social media, it may not even be him doing, though I would guess it is him in this case.

As for the question that the fan asked, I would answer it this way:

None of the 2B the Reds acquired are starting 2B. Newman is a starting SS who did play 2B last season to make room for a top prospect. The others mentioned in the article are at best backup utility guys, most of whom will likely not make the opening day roster. In other words, the acquisitions of these players should play zero role in the long future of Jonathon India.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

HokieRed (02-03-2023),lollipopcurve (02-04-2023),Old school 1983 (02-04-2023),Revering4Blue (02-03-2023),westofyou (02-03-2023)

Dang! Just realized how thin the bench is gonna be.

With a nine-man lineup (including a DH) and two reserve catchers you're going to be left with two position reserves (an IF & an OF?).

If EDLC is called up in April/May you could be looking at something like:

SS De La Cruz
    3B India
    1B Votto
    CA Stephenson
    RF Myers
    LF Fraley
    DH Steer
    CF Senzel
    2B Barrero (or) Newman

CA Casali
    CA Maile
    Two of: UT Pinder UT Vosler OF Friedl

Side Note: I hope by TDL they have found a way to upgrade from Senzel in CF (I'm over him). Then again, I hope he finds a a way to come out strong and make me eats those words for writing him off as a bust.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-04-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Dang! Just realized how thin the bench is gonna be.

With a nine-man lineup (including a DH) and two reserve catchers you're going to be left with two position reserves (an IF & an OF?).

If EDLC is called up in April/May you could be looking at something like:

SS De La Cruz
    3B India
    1B Votto
    CA Stephenson
    RF Myers
    LF Fraley
    DH Steer
    CF Senzel
    2B Barrero (or) Newman

CA Casali
    CA Maile

Side Note: I hope by TDL they have found a way to upgrade from Senzel in CF (I'm over him). Then again, I hope he finds a a way to come out strong and make me eats those words for writing him off as a bust.
    Remember that would only be for about the 50-60 games Stephenson catches vs him being at 1B or DH.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    The evidence for or against Senzel and Barrero should both be apparent by Memorial Day/ EDLC's arrival.

Either they've proven they can be first-division starters by that point, or they haven't.

If not:

- The Reds need a starting CF. They can turn to Michael Siani, a LH-hitting bantamweight who's a poor man's Billy Hamilton, or they can turn again to the platoon that was 10% better than league average offensively last season in a small sample-- Friedl and Fairchild. Since Pinder, Solak, nor Vosler have played CF since 2019, I'm guessing they're not capable. That'd leave both Fairchild and Friedl on the major league roster.
    - This, in turn, would cause a domino effect of moves. The CF platoon would mean Krall and company would probably want a RH-hitting LF platoonmate for Fraley, if only to balance their options. That's probably Pinder, but may be Solak.
    - That, then, leaves Vosler out in the cold-- unless they believe Steer can handle SS when EDLC requires a breather. In that case, Vosler might end up supplanting Newman as the infield utility glove behind Votto/ India/ EDLC/ Steer on the infield. The LH Vosler is a much better alternative for PH duties and balances out lineups much better, but he's not the gloveman Newman would be.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 02-04-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Pretty annoyed we haven't kicked the tires on bringing Wayne Krenchiki back. Or Kelly Paris.

Oh, wait, they've both passed on.

What about Tom Lawless then? Can we bring him back to drop into the soup in MI?
    Last edited by membengal; 02-04-2023 at 03:13 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-08-2023),WrongVerb (02-04-2023)

India will be traded probably late this season or in the off season. Bob dosent want to pay any arbitration salaries.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (02-08-2023)

I see 17 position players in the mix for opening day roster spots:

1. Stephenson
    2. Casali
    3. Maile
    4. Votto
    5. India
    6. Newman
    7. Barrero
    8. Lopez
    9. Steer
    10. Vosler
    11. Fraley
    12. Pinder
    13. Senzel
    14. Myers
    15. Friedl
    16. Fairchild
    17. Solak

Not a super talented group, but there are arguments for all those guys, as compared to each other, to make the roster on opening day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Pretty annoyed we haven't kicked the tires on bringing Wayne Krenchiki back. Or Kelly Paris.

Oh, wait, they've both passed on.

What about Tom Lawless then? Can we bring him back to drop into the soup in MI?
    Darrel Chaney is still living. Give him a call.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

corkedbat (02-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Darrel Chaney is still living. Give him a call.
    Now we're talking. Get Doug Flynn while we are at it. Let's really do this. Or Tom Foley. Is he still with us on this earth?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Now we're talking. Get Doug Flynn while we are at it. Let's really do this. Or Tom Foley. Is he still with us on this earth?
    Tom Runnells is still living if it counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

21. Likes:

membengal (02-04-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

What's Wade Rowden up to these days?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Two words: Jeff Richardson

Turn Off Ads?