Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Tom Runnells is still living if it counts.
    It does! Point to sdwagers!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    What's Wade Rowden up to these days?
    Perfect!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Two words: Jeff Richardson
    hells yes
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

We’ve been visited by the spirit of Bruce Berenyi it would seem

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-06-2023),Danny Serafini (02-05-2023),klw (02-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    We’ve been visited by the spirit of Bruce Berenyi it would seem
    he does not play backup MI so...no.
    Last edited by membengal; 02-04-2023 at 09:26 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Two words: Jeff Richardson
    Two more words: Thug Life

I was always partial to Luis Quiñones.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Freddy Galvis is only 33
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Pokey, Gooky, Mookie, Pookie, Wookie, Spooking, Snooki, Jim and all those other MI/dwarves.

Reds sign former first-round pick Nick Plummer
    (He ain't no good but he's a former first round pick)

The Reds have signed Nick Plummer and Nick Martini to minor league deals, according to the team’s MLB.com transactions page. Neither player was on the Reds’ initial list of non-roster players at Spring Training, though it is possible either player has received an invite to Cincinnati’s big league spring camp.

Plummer got his first taste of the majors last season, as he hit .138/.194/.379 over 31 plate appearances in 14 games with the Mets.

Despite the lack of MLB experience, the Mets signed Plummer to a Major League deal last winter after he became a minor league free agent, leaving the Cardinals for a new opportunity in New York.

While the move paid off for Plummer in the form of his debut in the Show, the Mets designated him for assignment and outrighted him off their 40-man roster in August, and the 26-year-old Plummer again entered the open market once the offseason began.

St. Louis chose Plummer with the 23rd overall pick of the 2015 draft, but he produced only sporadic results in the minor leagues. It seemed like Plummer had broken out with a .280/.415/.479 slash line over 477 combined PA for the Cardinals’ Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2021, but that wasn’t enough to get him a look on the Cards’ big league roster. The outfielder couldn’t keep up the production with the Mets’ Triple-A team this year, batting a more modest .238/.330/.379 in 270 PA.

Martini, 32, also began his pro career as a Cardinals draft pick, selected in the seventh round back in 2011. He broke into the majors with the Athletics in 2018, and hit .270/.369/.369 over 333 PA and 112 games with the A’s, Padres, and Cubs from 2018-21. This is actually the second time Martini has been part of Cincinnati’s organization, as the Reds took Martini off waivers from the Padres in November 2019, only to lose him to the Phillies on another waiver claim less than two months later.

In 2022, Martini headed to the Korea Baseball Organization, and hit an impressive .296/.365/.461 with 16 homers over 576 PA with the NC Dinos. This production comes pretty close to Martini’s .298/.399/.437 slash line in 1769 career PA at the Triple-A level, and while will tell if Martini is ultimately a “Quad-A” type of player, his knack for getting on base has carried over to all levels during his career.

Martini has been a corner outfielder and first baseman over the last few seasons, while Plummer has experience at all three outfield spots. They’ll combine to give the Reds more options to consider within a crowded but unsettled outfield mix.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-AA177udP

12. Likes:

757690 (02-04-2023),Gallen5862 (02-05-2023),Old school 1983 (02-05-2023)

Just wondering: when do these become pre-season transactions?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

klw (02-05-2023),mth123 (02-04-2023),UKFlounder (02-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    If nothing else, Plummer can be another backup catcher.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

16. Likes:

757690 (02-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just wondering: when do these become pre-season transactions?
    Somewhere, Wittgenstein is smiling
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The evidence for or against Senzel and Barrero should both be apparent by Memorial Day/ EDLC's arrival.

Either they've proven they can be first-division starters by that point, or they haven't.

If not:

- The Reds need a starting CF. They can turn to Michael Siani, a LH-hitting bantamweight who's a poor man's Billy Hamilton, or they can turn again to the platoon that was 10% better than league average offensively last season in a small sample-- Friedl and Fairchild. Since Pinder, Solak, nor Vosler have played CF since 2019, I'm guessing they're not capable. That'd leave both Fairchild and Friedl on the major league roster.
    - This, in turn, would cause a domino effect of moves. The CF platoon would mean Krall and company would probably want a RH-hitting LF platoonmate for Fraley, if only to balance their options. That's probably Pinder, but may be Solak.
    - That, then, leaves Vosler out in the cold-- unless they believe Steer can handle SS when EDLC requires a breather. In that case, Vosler might end up supplanting Newman as the infield utility glove behind Votto/ India/ EDLC/ Steer on the infield. The LH Vosler is a much better alternative for PH duties and balances out lineups much better, but he's not the gloveman Newman would be.
    Even if he moves to 2B, 3B or CF, I would think Barrero would be EDLC's backup at short. I don't see him being cut. If he doesn't hit enough to start, he's still cheap and a better quality reserve SS than most clubs have. Even if they start him out in L'ville, he's still just a phone call away. If EDLC were to be hurt in-game or just needs a day-off, they could get by with Steer for nine innings or fewer.

Billy Bates is the answer! He's a champion y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Even if he moves to 2B, 3B or CF, I would think Barrero would be EDLC's backup at short. I don't see him being cut. If he doesn't hit enough to start, he's still cheap and a better quality reserve SS than most clubs have. Even if they start him out in L'ville, he's still just a phone call away. If EDLC were to be hurt in-game or just needs a day-off, they could get by with Steer for nine innings or fewer.
    If Barrero hits like he did last season, he's a putrid backup. Kevin Newman is better-- and I hate Kevin Newman. Matt McLain, I assume, would become the nominal SS backup in 2024, assuming he's not starting elsewhere. Spencer Steer can also play a passable SS for a game or two if he's not playing 3B or 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    hmm, i kinda like the nick martini signing. i think he can help.

Turn Off Ads?