Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    greene stayed healthy all season? and lodolo?

man, i missed that. coulda sworn they both missed multiple starts.

[because they did.]
    Now this is a semantic argument.

Kudos, I guess.

None of the three were catastrophically injured. None had season-ending injuries. All were kept out of games due to workload concerns.

But sure, IL time.

Right.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lodolo didn't make any starts in May or June. with a back issue. A full season is 32 starts, but let's say 30 - everybody may miss a start or two. Lodolo made 19 starts.

Greene made 24 starts. He made 18 starts in the first half and the league put up an .817 OPS against him. He made six dominant starts in the second half.

Ashcraft had 19 Starts with an ERA+ of 92.

None of the three had a full season of health and above league average pitching. I'm actually pretty confidant in all three of them, but they are far from proven, bankable starting pitchers over a 162 game season.

The bigger problem is even if they stay healthy and pitch well, they account for 96 starts on a team that plays 162 games. That's 66 other starts to guys who are much lesser pitchers when these guys are still establishing themselves. It's a recipe for disaster and over-extending the very guys who hold the key to this team having a chance to contend in the near-to-mid-term future.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-02-2023 at 06:33 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-03-2023),LeatherPants (02-02-2023),REDREAD (02-08-2023),Revering4Blue (02-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Kudos, I guess.

None of the three were catastrophically injured. None had season-ending injuries. All were kept out of games due to workload concerns.

But sure, IL time.

Right.
    Lodolo missed May and June with a bad back. That’s not workload.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (02-08-2023),Revering4Blue (02-02-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Kudos, I guess.

But sure, IL time.

Right.
    They both were literally on the IL though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    And Greene missed 7-8 starts with the shoulder injury

8. Likes:

LeatherPants (02-02-2023),mth123 (02-02-2023),REDREAD (02-08-2023),Revering4Blue (02-02-2023),WildcatFan (02-03-2023)

Oh, I think you guys are being naive.

The year before, due to blisters, Lodolo only threw 50 innings.

He just happened to miss exactly the right number of starts so that he'd increase his innings, but not extend way past them? In a season the Reds already knew was toast and were actively trying to tank?

Sure.

Got it.

"Hurt."

He just happened to miss exactly the right number of starts so that he'd increase his innings, but not extend way past them? In a season the Reds already knew was toast and were actively trying to tank?

Sure.

Got it.

"Hurt."
    I think they’d shut him down early, but like in August as teams typically do when young pitchers hit their innings limit. I don’t think they’d monkey with his development to shut him down for a couple months in May when (IIRC) he was starting to deal pretty good, and I don’t think there would be much incentive for them to do so either. Much as I straight up hate this team at this point, I don’t think they’d have anything to gain there.

- - - Updated - - -

And I think Lodolo could/would formally object or file a grievance if they tried to hold him out for a fake injury for a couple months if he wasn’t actually hurt

11. Likes:

REDREAD (02-08-2023),WildcatFan (02-03-2023)

Sure.

Got it.

"Hurt."
    You honestly believe they shut him down after three starts (14.2 IP) to manage his innings, and not because of injury? Come on man.

This has to be a bit, right?
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 02-02-2023 at 08:35 PM.

13. Likes:

mth123 (02-02-2023),REDREAD (02-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    And I think Lodolo could/would formally object or file a grievance if they tried to hold him out for a fake injury for a couple months if he wasn’t actually hurt
    Why would Lodolo file a grievance? He gets paid both ways. And this protects his arm.

It doesn't cost him any MLB time so his arbitration is fine.

You honestly believe they shut him down after three starts (14.2 IP) to manage his innings, and not because of injury? Come on man.

This has to be a bit, right?
    The Dodgers did it with Ross Stripling his rookie year, after an aborted 2015 minor league season. It magically kept his innings under control. He admitted that he wasn't actually hurt. He also intimated that it happens all the time with every team in the league. So did Sean Dolittle. And the other guys interviewed in the links I provided.

Why wouldn't the Reds do the same?

What does it matter to them? His innings are the same either way. He develops either way. He either misses months in the middle of the season-- where they can keep an eye on him and keep him on a limited pitch count out of sight while working on stuff (as he apparently did)-- or they can let him get a headstart on the end of the season.

It doesn't matter when it happens. In fact, I'd argue it's likely better to limit innings in the dead arm portion of the season (ie, May and June) than at the end.

YMMV, I guess. I'd suggest you read the links before proclaiming this is a bit, though. You might learn something.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 02-02-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Why would Lodolo file a grievance? He gets paid both ways. And this protects his arm.

It doesn't cost him any MLB time so his arbitration is fine.
    Because the rookie who just made his major league debut is definitely going to want to get out there and pitch as many MLB innings as possible.

Because the rookie who just made his major league debut is definitely going to want to get out there and pitch as many MLB innings as possible.
    Nah, he's really not.

He knows the Verducci Effect and the penchant for blowing out his arm.

He's not stupid.

I am rather certain that the Reds told Lodolo and Greene that they were only going to pitch X number of innings in 2022, no matter what.

That said, Lodolo’s back injury early in the year seemed authentic at the time. I remember hearing about the difficulty he had just throwing the ball, let alone pitching.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Nah, he's really not.

He knows the Verducci Effect and the penchant for blowing out his arm.

He's not stupid.
    Ok whatever

[QUOTE=Ron Madden;4507022]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Reds looking for LHH Infielder

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/chad-pinder-reds-dealL

Does anyone have any idea of any LHH infielders still out there that they can ring in
    Shed Long is still unsigned
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am rather certain that the Reds told Lodolo and Greene that they were only going to pitch X number of innings in 2022, no matter what.

That said, Lodolo’s back injury early in the year seemed authentic at the time. I remember hearing about the difficulty he had just throwing the ball, let alone pitching.
    Yeah I absolutely believe they had an innings limit for sure. But as you said, everything about Lodolo’s seemed legit and the guy has had a few in recent years. Not really all that implausible that he would get injured again.

Turn Off Ads?