Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Re: Reds post-season transactions 2022-23 Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not engaging with you on this because it's going to turn into something like what the definition of primary catcher is
    You can define “primary catcher” however you want, and I am certain that it still will not result in the Reds lying to Stephenson. I think the issue is that we have different understandings of what “lying” means. Anyway, I’m fine leaving this where it is. Happy New Year!
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    And he's still a long shot to make the Opening Day roster. The only reason Maile was on a playoff roster was because Cleveland's catcher situation was somehow worse than Cincinnati's. Their starter had an OPS of .489, and Maile still couldn't beat him out of a job. Sandy Leon was so bad the Reds wouldn't even call him up in a year they used 8 catchers, and Cleveland traded for him and gave him a little big league time. Maile is emergency depth, nothing more.
    The Reds aren't giving Maile, who is out of options, one and a quarter million $ to not make the club. With a 26 man roster and a fulltime DH the Reds will very likely carry 3 catchers next year. Ditching Moose was a good indication that is where they are headed.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds aren't giving Maile, who is out of options, one and a quarter million $ to not make the club. With a 26 man roster and a fulltime DH the Reds will very likely carry 3 catchers next year. Ditching Moose was a good indication that is where they are headed.
    Thanks for clarifying. And with two backup catchers, Stephenson will spend more time at DH and maybe first base.

And this is being done to preserve Stephenson’s health and keep his bat in the lineup.

Nobody knows exactly how many games he will catch but I’d argue Reds wouldn’t add so much catching if the intent was for Tyler to catch more than 100 games, and the number could be less.

He’s still the #1 catcher but with lots of appearances in other spots.

6. Likes:

JCM11 (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You can define “primary catcher” however you want, and I am certain that it still will not result in the Reds lying to Stephenson. I think the issue is that we have different understandings of what “lying” means. Anyway, I’m fine leaving this where it is. Happy New Year!
    "No, I want to debate the definitions of MULTIPLE words!" Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. And with two backup catchers, Stephenson will spend more time at DH and maybe first base.

And this is being done to preserve Stephenson’s health and keep his bat in the lineup.

Nobody knows exactly how many games he will catch but I’d argue Reds wouldn’t add so much catching if the intent was for Tyler to catch more than 100 games, and the number could be less.

He’s still the #1 catcher but with lots of appearances in other spots.
    You gave me significant pushback for supporting 2 games a week at 1B/DH (which would have him catching 100-110 games) and more if he was banged up. What gives?

9. Likes:

membengal (12-30-2022)

So, IMO, the reason for 3 catchers is so Stephenson can DH and the reds won't lose the DH spot by him moving to catcher if that day's starter is hurt. I don't think they'd devote a roster spot to a 3rd catcher if the plan wasn't for Stephenson to get a significant number of starts at DH. My guess is Stephenson starts 80 to 85 games at Catcher and another 60 to 65 at DH. With about 20 games of pure rest/days off.

Casali and Maile split the catching duties on the other days. Likely with Casali getting the bulk of those starts.

On the days Stephenson isn't the DH, the DH spot will be used to give guys a breather with Votto, Myers, India, Fraley, Steer and grudgingly, Senzel getting some starts there. At some point kids start arriving and the plan may change. I don't think any plan is set in stone right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think the catching depth is as much for letting Stephenson play as much as he can in the batting order, but also for the young pitchers. Brings stability behind the plate and depth. If Stephenson is hurt, Casali will be competent with the bulk of the starts. Either way, the pitchers will have a rotation with depth, one which we won't need to scramble or call up guys either not ready or will never be ready (hopefully.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

It makes no sense to carry Maile and his .582 career OPS on the 26 man roster if he isn't going to start at least 50 games at catcher. Casali makes a little more sense to throw in at DH every now and then especially vs LHP, but again if he isn't going to start at least 50 games at catcher why pay him 3 million and give him a roster spot? I think Stephenson is going to catch far fewer games than a lot of people here seem to think.

13. Likes:

Kc61 (12-30-2022),mth123 (12-30-2022),redsfan9988 (12-30-2022)

You gave me significant pushback for supporting 2 games a week at 1B/DH (which would have him catching 100-110 games) and more if he was banged up. What gives?
    Maybe it’s a matter of tone, but I view this as the beginning of a significant reduction in Tyler’s catching time. Not sure you see it that way.

I don’t know the exact number for 2023, but 100 games would IMO be a maximum. Not going to speculate on an exact number, but it’s apparent that the goal is much less catching than some here would like.

The articles say he’ll remain the #1 catcher. That’s not inconsistent with my view at this point. He’ll catch more than either Casali or Maile or Romine, if healthy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-30-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Maybe it’s a matter of tone, but I view this as the beginning of a significant reduction in Tyler’s catching time. Not sure you see it that way.

I don’t know the exact number for 2023, but 100 games would IMO be a maximum. Not going to speculate on an exact number, but it’s apparent that the goal is much less catching than some here would like.

The articles say he’ll remain the #1 catcher. That’s not inconsistent with my view at this point. He’ll catch more than either Casali or Maile or Romine, if healthy.
    I think you are conflating what I predict they will do and what I think they should do. I don't really have a prediction on how many games he will catch. I think he should catch 100-110. I don't really have a prediction on whether this is the beginning of a move to 1B full time. I think the Reds should consider trading him sooner rather than later if that is their plan going forward

I think you are conflating what I predict they will do and what I think they should do. I don't really have a prediction on how many games he will catch. I think he should catch 100-110. I don't really have a prediction on whether this is the beginning of a move to 1B full time. I think the Reds should consider trading him sooner rather than later if that is their plan going forward
    Not predicting the exact mix in Tyler’s future of catcher, first base, DH. But it seems a fair prediction that he will be catching less as time goes on. I don’t see him as one of these stalwart catchers who play virtually full time at the position, with only modest rest.

As for trading him, it’ll depend on how the team develops. But I can see Tyler having a significant, positive role on Reds mixing catcher with other positions. The DH rule adds great flexibility for teams. His trade value will be affected by his health, so that’s a factor as well.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Buster Posey had his leg destroyed at the plate and multiple concussions and was kind of viewed as not catching as much later in his career in favor of playing 1B - and even he caught at least 100 games a year for most of his career. Closer to 115-120 on average.

I would bet hundreds of dollars that Stephenson, if healthy, will catch at least 100 games the next season and for the foreseeable future.!
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 12-30-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My guess is Stephenson starts 80 to 85 games at Catcher and another 60 to 65 at DH. With about 20 games of pure rest/days off.
    Agree on the number of games he'll catch, agree on the number of games he'll DH, disagree on the number of days he'll rest.

He will also be Votto's primary replacement at 1B, IMO, against tough LH. Especially since Votto might be tender due to his shoulder surgery and rehab.

I think the Reds want Stephenson's bat in the lineup 150+ games on the season, perhaps as many as 155.

19. Likes:

goreds2 (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Agree on the number of games he'll catch, agree on the number of games he'll DH, disagree on the number of days he'll rest.

He will also be Votto's primary replacement at 1B, IMO, against tough LH. Especially since Votto might be tender due to his shoulder surgery and rehab.

I think the Reds want Stephenson's bat in the lineup 150+ games on the season, perhaps as many as 155.
    I'd be in favor of it. I just don't think they'll do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Not predicting the exact mix in Tyler’s future of catcher, first base, DH. But it seems a fair prediction that he will be catching less as time goes on. I don’t see him as one of these stalwart catchers who play virtually full time at the position, with only modest rest.

As for trading him, it’ll depend on how the team develops. But I can see Tyler having a significant, positive role on Reds mixing catcher with other positions. The DH rule adds great flexibility for teams. His trade value will be affected by his health, so that’s a factor as well.
    Again, I'm not advocating for 140+ games behind the plate. I just don't think he's a franchise cornerstone anymore as a full time 1B/DH

22. Likes:

LeatherPants (12-30-2022),Ron Madden (12-30-2022),Wonderful Monds (12-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?