Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What About Michael Wacha ?

Re: What About Michael Wacha ?

Wacha isn't coming here. The man went 11-2 with a WAR of 3.3. He's going to be the 5th starter on a contender. The only hope you have of getting someone like Wacha to come here is to overpay him. And that ain't happening.

2. Likes:

Kinsm (12-31-2022),Redsfan6272 (01-28-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-29-2023),Revering4Blue (12-31-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think Wacha is a good fit for our ballpark, and the Reds will not pay anything close to what he will command for a 5th starter. I see the Reds going with this rotation, with a few minor league invites thrown into the mix:

Starters:

1) Lodolo
    2) Greene
    3) Ashcraft
    4) Kuhl/Anderson/An. Sanchez/ Matt Moore - these will be the minor league invites or at best less than 1.5 guarenteed contracts
    5) Overton/Williamson/Cessa

-I think they will role in house for the 5th spot, and look to minor league contracts to fill 120-150 innings in the 4 spot.

One-year deal with a trade bonus and some kind of option. Get it done. At least try to give the fans a competitive team until Bengals season. And if you're serious about 2024, this is the way to do it. He'll probably take more somewhere else though.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Signing these stop gap starters requires some very specific analysis, IMO, and the key is to get them in the right years. I beat the drum on here for Wacha last year and was told repeatedly that he was no good and that Miley was much superior etc. But that was last year. My case for Wacha was that he had closed the previous season very strongly, whereas Miley--as was evident to me and should have been to everyone--had thrown 160 innings and could be expected to do what he has repeatedly done over the last half dozen years: undergo major regression because he's been worked that hard. Letting Miley go was no hard decision; the Reds FO got it right. This year Wacha scares me a bit. First of all, he's not been reupped by the Red Sox, who have every need for him and for whom I'm sure he'd like to pitch. Second, his September-October was really bad, 6 starts, OPS above .900 against him. He's a flyball pitcher with pretty high HR numbers over the years. Miley, on the other hand, rested his arm over the whole season, pretty much, and then threw something like 35 innings effectively at the end of the season. Miley's age, 36, is scary but he might have one more bounceback year iin him since he should have a rested arm. I've pushed for Cueto on here each of the last two years (21 and 22) but he's become, I think, a harder call. Threw 158 last year, certainly knows how to pitch and will not crap his pants because of GABP. But you have to ask how much that inning load last year takes off his ability to be effective this year. Conclusion is I think Krall is probably right to wait out the market but the organization needs to be more proactive. Both Wacha and Cueto were easy calls last year, as was, frankly, Quintana, whom the Pirates had brains enough to sign.
    can you be our GM? not joking. i like your style.

Michael Wacha Seeking A Two-Year Deal

Michael Wacha, the top remaining free agent starting pitcher, is seeking a two-year deal, per Jon Heyman of the New York Post. Wacha is the last remaining starter from MLBTR’s Top 50 list, where he was predicted to take home a two-year, $16MM deal.

So far only the Twins and Orioles have been reported as teams to have shown interest in Wacha, although the Twins’ reported interest came before they acquired Pablo Lopez from the Marlins.

The Orioles have seemingly maintained an interest in Wacha throughout the winter, but it doesn’t appear as if talks have ever gotten particularly serious between the two parties, though that can obviously change quickly.

Wacha, 31, is coming off a strong campaign for Boston, where he threw 127 1/3 innings of 3.32 ERA ball over 23 starts.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...year-deal.html

A two year deal with Wacha last year would have made all kinds of sense. This year, harder to tell.

If the Reds weren't going to pay Cueto for one year what makes anyone think they'll do Fozzie Bear for 2?
    Where we gonna go?

10. Likes:

HokieRed (01-28-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    If the Reds weren't going to pay Cueto for one year what makes anyone think they'll do Fozzie Bear for 2?
    The issue with Cueto is that he is unreadable. Reds want someone that will do well and they can trade for prospects. If they signed Cueto and traded him fans would lose it. You wouldn’t have that with Wacha. They won’t sign him because they won’t spend the money.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    The issue with Cueto is that he is unreadable. Reds want someone that will do well and they can trade for prospects. If they signed Cueto and traded him fans would lose it. You wouldn’t have that with Wacha. They won’t sign him because they won’t spend the money.
    ? So you don't sign Cueto for one year because if he is good and you can trade him at the deadline the fans will be upset but a two year deal for Wacha is better because you won't have that issue? I am missing something here - the fans are already upset - and I just don't think ownership/management cares enough about the fan base to even weigh that into any equation. I would agree with you that they clearly won't spend the money.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I really doubt the Reds will add much more to payroll
    full story here:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...acha-sign.html
    If the Reds gave a hootin’ holler about the future of the franchise, they would have to sign a veteran innings eater / veteran presence (and signing dregs like Luke Weaver won’t cut it). Relieving the staff of innings and providing leadership and stability would be a good investment. Pay me now, or pay me later. However, I doubt if that will happen with this pennywise and pound foolish ownership. Step up Phil!

Reds likely have one rotation spot left. It means more for the future of that team to use that spot to develop a guy who would be a starter for years to come than to fill it with a vet who might be around for a year or two. If this were next year and the rotation and prospects were sitting where they currently are, I’d be all about another experienced arm. This year. Develop a guy who can be here longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Reds likely have one rotation spot left. It means more for the future of that team to use that spot to develop a guy who would be a starter for years to come than to fill it with a vet who might be around for a year or two. If this were next year and the rotation and prospects were sitting where they currently are, I’d be all about another experienced arm. This year. Develop a guy who can be here longer term.
    I highly disagree. With all of the kids on the staff, that makes it more imperative than wver to sign an established vet that can provide innings and leadership. No need to scrape the bottom of the barrell to dind a mediocre minor keaguer or bring up someone that is not ready.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-29-2023)

Chris Archer anyone? Threw 102 innings of 4.49 FIP last year. I'm a little surprised he hasn't signed, but I don't know anything about his health. Maybe nothing happens with the remaining group until Wacha and Greinke settle.

Reds will use Cessa and Dunn initially. First replacement will be Overton. Backup replacement will be Ben Lively at AAA. Hopefully Williamson will be ready by the time there’s a need.

It’s not ideal, but Reds are not going to pay for anybody who effectively eats innings anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds will use Cessa and Dunn initially. First replacement will be Overton. Backup replacement will be Ben Lively at AAA. Hopefully Williamson will be ready by the time there’s a need.

It’s not ideal, but Reds are not going to pay for anybody who effectively eats innings anyway.
    I’m pretty sure they said Weaver will be one of the rotation starters. I am guessing Cessa is penciled in as the 5th starter.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?