Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What About Michael Wacha ?

Re: What About Michael Wacha ?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Chris Archer anyone? Threw 102 innings of 4.49 FIP last year. I'm a little surprised he hasn't signed, but I don't know anything about his health. Maybe nothing happens with the remaining group until Wacha and Greinke settle.
    Luis Cessa in 10 starts last year pitched 44 innings, average 4.4 innings per start.

Chris Archer in 25 starts last year pitched 102 innings, average 4.1 innings per start.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Luis Cessa in 10 starts last year pitched 44 innings, average 4.4 innings per start.

Chris Archer in 25 starts last year pitched 102 innings, average 4.1 innings per start.
    That's 102 innings you haven't got otherwise. Move Cessa to the pen, deepening it. I'm not an advocate particularly of acquiring Archer but there's a price at which I think I'd give it very serious consideration. Given Cessa's history, I'd add, I don't think there's any guarantee he has success this year as a starter or puts up even 4.4 per start. I think we still could use depth from wherever we might get it.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Reds likely have one rotation spot left. It means more for the future of that team to use that spot to develop a guy who would be a starter for years to come than to fill it with a vet who might be around for a year or two. If this were next year and the rotation and prospects were sitting where they currently are, I’d be all about another experienced arm. This year. Develop a guy who can be here longer term.
    The 2023 Reds will probably use 10+ starters, they most definitely have room to add an experienced pitcher without hamstringing development of any prospect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Chris Archer anyone? Threw 102 innings of 4.49 FIP last year. I'm a little surprised he hasn't signed, but I don't know anything about his health. Maybe nothing happens with the remaining group until Wacha and Greinke settle.
    I fully support an Archer deal. Give him 3M + Incentives, with a team option and a low buyout.

Too expensive for the Reds though.

6. Likes:

HokieRed (01-30-2023),mth123 (01-30-2023),Revering4Blue (01-30-2023),Ron Madden (01-30-2023)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/11141564002/

– Michael Wacha, who was terrific for the Red Sox last season with an 11-2 record and 3.32 ERA, remains the best remaining pitcher on the free-agent market. Yet, teams still are unwilling to meet his request for a two-year, $30 million deal.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Looks like Wacha will have to bring his price down

9. Likes:

757690 (01-31-2023),HokieRed (01-31-2023)

For the record, no one has yet agreed to my request for a 2 year $30 million contract either.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

11. Likes:

757690 (01-31-2023),UKFlounder (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Well sometimes less is better. Both pitchers struggled the 3rd time through the line up. The teams basically stopped pitching him after 18 batters also would stop at 17 if he finished an inning. The Reds might benefit by handling Cessa the same way.
    Cessa 3rd time through order 375BA/400OBP/750SLG 1150OPS

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Well sometimes less is better. Both pitchers struggled the 3rd time through the line up. The teams basically stopped pitching him after 18 batters also would stop at 17 if he finished an inning. The Reds might benefit by handling Cessa the same way.
    Cessa 3rd time through order 375BA/400OBP/750SLG 1150OPS
    Or just get a starter and let Cessa pitch 2 inning stints out of the bullpen instead of those innings going to a career minor leaguer like Gibaut or one of those guys. That would be the way to eat some innings. Get a starter who can give 150 to 175 and get 75 or 80 from Cessa out of the pen. Instead Cessa will go 4 and they'll hand the ball to some guy who shouldn't even be in the big leagues.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-31-2023)

Turn Off Ads?