Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bauer potential destinations (Reds included)

Re: Bauer potential destinations (Reds included)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Really just an indicator of how close people are anyway. I'd go so far as to say many are looking for something to happen to give them full permission to stop paying attention to this franchise.
    i mean, phil flipping the fanbase the bird last year didn't do the trick? but signing the only cy young award winner in club history (who, again, has not been proven to be guilty of any crime) would the proverbial straw? adding bauer to the reds' young arsenal of pitchers could be a very wise move. course, the reds don't do wise baseball moves, so moot point.

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-06-2023),smixsell (01-13-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If this thread is going to remain open in this forum, the discussion needs to be solely based on the baseball considerations. If that's impossible to do, the discussion needs to continue in the open thread in the Politics & Religion area.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-06-2023),JFLegal (01-06-2023),Ron Madden (01-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    No doubt any thread on TB has high potential to go off the rails but lets be honest, if you don't want to discuss it/read about it all you have to do is not click on the thread.

I think this conversation can be had without the "He did nothing/wasnt charged" and the "He's the worst human on the planet" crowds just fine.

In the OPs defense the linked article lists the Reds as the pick to end up with Bauer and it's from SI. I don't think this should be classified as "stirring up crap".
    thank you. monds' post felt like it was straight out of those hilarious "don't become your parents" commercials with the self-help guy. "we don't need a line monitor, ok?"

it's very simple. if you don't want to discuss trevor bauer, don't open the thread. we're not going to get into details of the off-field legal situation because that belongs on the other board. but nothing wrong with having a pure baseball discussion about this.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think in the end, Bob would be against this signing. I also think Phil would be in favor. If he does sign, then it's probably an indication of how much power Phil has now, with his dad in decline.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Ok so even if we agree the Reds arent trying to win I think there is still some substantial value here at a very discounted rate to be had.

The Reds could sign Bauer and if he's a sub-3.00, 10K+ P9 pitcher he could not only potentially sell more tickets but could also be a shiny trade chip. Lower payroll teams headed for the playoffs in need of a rotation boost love nothing more than a great pitcher on a cheap deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think in the end, Bob would be against this signing. I also think Phil would be in favor. If he does sign, then it's probably an indication of how much power Phil has now, with his dad in decline.
    yes, wasn't bob the one pulling the strings on the complete panic trade of aroldis chapman to the yankees, who then flipped him for gleyber torres a few months later? just another string of front office malpractice by the reds. this is why i say they are not just one of the worst organizations in MLB ... but in all of professional sports. it's one boneheaded thing after another. the chapman trade is low-key one of the worst trades in MLB in recent memory, especially given how the yankees were able to flip him for an elite prospect a few months later. and then in true yankee fashion they re-signed chapman in the offseason. must be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I would guess it is because of both. If you are going to spend money (they are not going to anyways) why would they spend it on Bauer and all the bad PR that comes with him? Not defending them, just probably what they are thinking. If they would be willing to spend money on Bauer they could just sign someone else without the PR headache.

The Browns figured the negative PR from signing Watson would blow over quickly. They were wrong. It turned a lot of Browns fans off from the team and they are not spending money on merchandise or tickets. The Browns are still selling tickets to games, but the pool of fans has shrunk mightily. I know dozens of former die-hard Browns fans that have completely turned their back to the team. Two guys at work immediately cancelled their season tickets, which they had held for decades. And these aren't like big liberals, they are MAGA-hat wearing boomers. Fans are just tired of the franchise being a bad joke at all times and are over it. Then you have the female fanbase, which by the way buy A LOT of expensive Browns clothing. That is done for many of them.

To put it simply, from a team standpoint its not just about wins and losses. You sign Bauer it will turn off a lot of people and merch and ticket sales will absolutely suffer even worse than they already are.
    but that's the beauty of signing bauer in 2023 -- a team would not be spending money. presuming bauer wants to stick it to the dodgers and have them pay as much of his $35M salary as possible (seems like something trev would do, no?) a team like the reds could sign bauer for the vet minimum.

let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yes, wasn't bob the one pulling the strings on the complete panic trade of aroldis chapman to the yankees, who then flipped him for gleyber torres a few months later? just another string of front office malpractice by the reds. this is why i say they are not just one of the worst organizations in MLB ... but in all of professional sports. it's one boneheaded thing after another. the chapman trade is low-key one of the worst trades in MLB in recent memory, especially given how the yankees were able to flip him for an elite prospect a few months later. and then in true yankee fashion they re-signed chapman in the offseason. must be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

but that's the beauty of signing bauer in 2023 -- a team would not be spending money. presuming bauer wants to stick it to the dodgers and have them pay as much of his $35M salary as possible (seems like something trev would do, no?) a team like the reds could sign bauer for the vet minimum.

let's go!
    Let's all help the sociopath stick it to the Dodgers!!

Hard pass

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-06-2023),redsfan9988 (01-06-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Let's all help the sociopath stick it to the Dodgers!!

Hard pass
    actually, i don't care about sticking it to the dodgers or not. i was responding to his post that if the reds are going to spend relatively big money (which they are not) why would they spend that money on bauer? i was pointing out they would not be spending any big money on bauer since they could get him for the vet minimum.

not sure where you got confused, but there you go.

the dodgers owe him every penny of his contract for this year (which is nothing for them) so there's really no way for them to get screwed regardless. they already screwed themselves by signing him in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Ok so even if we agree the Reds arent trying to win I think there is still some substantial value here at a very discounted rate to be had.

The Reds could sign Bauer and if he's a sub-3.00, 10K+ P9 pitcher he could not only potentially sell more tickets but could also be a shiny trade chip. Lower payroll teams headed for the playoffs in need of a rotation boost love nothing more than a great pitcher on a cheap deal.
    it makes too much sense, does it not?

and if anyone should NOT be worried about a PR hit, it's the reds. they could not possibly have a worse PR score right now. you know what cures all in sports? winning.

They call me "chef"

Those saying the Reds would take a PR hit must not be on the message boards and sub-Reddits I post on. This would bring a lot of new, passionate fans to GABP who didn’t care about baseball before.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-06-2023),redsfan9988 (01-06-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-07-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-06-2023)

If the Reds aren't careful, they may end up running afoul with their fan base.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

Boston Red (01-06-2023),JFLegal (01-07-2023),Revering4Blue (01-06-2023),Roy Tucker (01-06-2023),wolfboy (01-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If the Reds aren't careful, they may end up running afoul with the casual fan portion of their fan base.
    FTFY
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I bet if they signed him he'd give up 40 HR's and be as cuddly as a porcupine

This thread has ended.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-06-2023),Old school 1983 (01-06-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-06-2023)

Turn Off Ads?