Indianapolis
    Denver

Possibilities:
    Houston
    Arizona
    Washington
    Cleveland
    LA Chargers

The Chargers are a surprise but rumor is they are the team Sean Payton is looking at.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023 NFL Coaching Carousel

Broncos have asked for and received permission to interview Payton.

What’s interesting is Payton is looking to bring Vic Fangio, the Broncos former head coach, as defensive coordinator.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I don't think Chargers are any kind of possibility. Rich Eisen and his crew were saying there were rumors that if Dolphins lose Miami might fire Mike McDaniel. They said that only would make sense because the owner is kind of a loose cannon. And that with Harbaugh to the NFL rumors starting again, owner Steven Ross had previously been of the opinion that he wants Harbaugh in Michigan. But if he's not in Michigan, he wants him in Miami.

In passing they also wondered whether John Harbaugh might think 15 years is enough. But they assumed not.

I'd be real surprised at Washington letting Rivera go.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Teams already open:
    Carolina
    Indianapolis
    Denver

Possibilities:
    Houston
    Arizona
    Washington
    Cleveland
    LA Chargers

The Chargers are a surprise but rumor is they are the team Sean Payton is looking at.
    Las Vegas should but Moe Davis is a moron who can't see what's right in front of him is a dumpster fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

McVay could be on the list as well. I could see him being another Sean Payton in taking a year off before jumping back in or even John Madden in not dealing with the stress.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ms-coach-limbo

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    McVay could be on the list as well. I could see him being another Sean Payton in taking a year off before jumping back in or even John Madden in not dealing with the stress.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ms-coach-limbo
    I see McVay as more of a Gruden, staying out for awhile (but not nearly as long as Gruden). He just got married and I could see him staying out four or five years.

Getting Sean Payton requires trading draft capital, of which Denver has.....none.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

The LA Rams blew up their future to win it all last year. McVay isn't going to want to stick around for the rebuild.

I do think Rivera is in trouble in Washington and he should be. He didn't even understand his team's playoff picture last week and his decision to bench Heinicke was a poor one and probably cost them the playoffs. Thioe are fireable offenses.

I think we'll see Jim Harbaugh somewhere in the NFL next year

I think Sean Payton should pass on the Denver job

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-09-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think we'll see Jim Harbaugh somewhere in the NFL next year
    You think so? Even though he may say otherwise publicly, there's something in the back of my mind that tells me he wants to return to the NFL, and under the right circumstances that suit him he'll bolt.

I see where Stefanski was included on that list as a possibility. I think he'll be under the microscope by Brown's management in '23 now that he's got his QB (and a lot of talent too). Time to put up!
    Last edited by GAC; 01-08-2023 at 12:09 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You think so? Even though he may say otherwise publicly, there's something in the back of my mind that tells me he wants to return to the NFL, and under the right circumstances that suit him he'll bolt.

I see where Stefanski was included on that list as a possibility. I think he'll be under the microscope by Brown's management in '23 now that he's got his QB (and a lot of talent too). Time to put up!
    I think Harbaugh has decided that he's taken Michigan as far as he can. He wants to leave Ann Arbor saying that he caught Ohio State...He also doesn't want to deal with the new NCAA with NIL and transfer portal. Finally there's this investigation going on. A lot of signs point to him going to the NFL

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-09-2023),GAC (01-08-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I do think Rivera is in trouble in Washington and he should be. He didn't even understand his team's playoff picture last week and his decision to bench Heinicke was a poor one and probably cost them the playoffs. Thioe are fireable offenses.
    Rivera should be a no-brainer firing, but who knows with the uncertainty of the ownership situation. I’m beyond fed up with the organization under Snyder and really hope we’re near the end of this nightmare.

Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, and Kevin O’Connell all managed to escape the Washington orbit. It pains me to think of the alternate universe where we could’ve had competent leadership and one of those guys becomes Washington’s head coach.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Rivera should be a no-brainer firing, but who knows with the uncertainty of the ownership situation. I’m beyond fed up with the organization under Snyder and really hope we’re near the end of this nightmare.

Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, and Kevin O’Connell all managed to escape the Washington orbit. It pains me to think of the alternate universe where we could’ve had competent leadership and one of those guys becomes Washington’s head coach.
    I thought Rivera was a good hire at the time. He's been a disappointment

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-09-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Some say McCarthy is in trouble in Dallas if the Cowboys make an early exit. But Jones has really never been trigger happy with his coaches. Still, with Payton out there and possibly Harbaugh, he may decide to make a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Lovie Smith has indeed been fired by Texans. (as punishment for winning last game and costing Texans the #1 pick). I don't think Lovie is any kind of good coach, but he did get kind of a raw deal. He took over a trainwreck that was expected to be bad. NFL was getting lots of crap for firing 2 black coaches including a messy one with Flores.

Bunch of guys had been hired and they were all white except McDaniel who's the whitest minority I've ever seen. Houston was supposedly high on hiring McCown who had never coached. I think NFL asked them to "take one for the league" and hire Lovie.

One year later and they can move on. Houston has now had back to back (black) coaches fired after one season.

Organizational chaos aside, the job should should be attractive. Number 2 overall pick this year and all those first rounders coming for Watson.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Financially Lovie is probably making out like a bandit since he had 3 yrs left on his contract but from a performance standpoint he really got a raw deal. I will make that point in the political section as I know how such talk is frowned upon here. No question there's a race issue here to be discussed

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/09/te...ch-lovie-smith

Turn Off Ads?