Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Year. Nothing changes.

New Year. Nothing changes.

From NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports comments:

Nick Senzel is still dealing with complications from surgery on his broken left toe. Senzel was still using a scooter to get around at Redsfest last month and hasn't walked in months due to ongoing complications with his foot since undergoing surgery. It's unclear whether he'll be ready for spring training, but it appears highly unlikely at this point, which leaves the Reds' outfield in a state of flux. Wil Myers figures to give them a reliable option in an outfield corner with Jake Fraley, TJ Friedl, Stuart Fairchild and Mike Siani vying for playing time this spring. It's not an ideal situation for Cincinnati.

SOURCE: MLB.com

Jan 7, 2023, 3:21 PM ET

...one other thing that doesn't change is the stockpiling of excuses to explain losing seasons, and to always blame is on "bad luck".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Year. Nothing changes.

So Siani and Fairchild will get some opportunities. 2023 is another rebuilding year. If they have some injuries, use it to give experience to the kids.

Can’t get too worked up about the team right now, maybe 2024 with Votto, Moose, Myers all off the books, very low payroll, maybe we’ll see some movement to accelerate building the Reds team. If Senzel is again out for a long period, he’ll likely be gone, give the kids a chance, chalk up Senzel to a guy who couldn’t stay on the field.

Oh no. How will we ever replace Senzel's 74 wRC+ and mediocre defense?

I loved the idea of Nick Senzel. But Nick Senzel the player is entering his age 28 season and hasn't been a productive player since age 24 -- to say nothing of health. At this point I'd rather they just get him out of the picture entirely.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

5. Likes:

757690 (01-08-2023),CesarGeronimo (01-09-2023),Chip R (01-09-2023),HokieRed (01-08-2023),Mitri (01-08-2023),mth123 (01-08-2023),NebraskaRed (01-08-2023),Puffy (01-09-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-10-2023),RedTeamGo! (01-08-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023),Tom Servo (01-09-2023),Tuff Nut (01-08-2023)

I would think Senzel being injured puts the OF in less of a state of flux than it would be if he is healthy. Because if he is healthy, he'll just gobble up reps before inevitably getting injured again.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

7. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (01-09-2023),Chip R (01-09-2023),HokieRed (01-08-2023),malcontent (01-09-2023),mth123 (01-08-2023),Old school 1983 (01-08-2023),RED VAN HOT (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So Siani and Fairchild will get some opportunities. 2023 is another rebuilding year. If they have some injuries, use it to give experience to the kids.

Can’t get too worked up about the team right now, maybe 2024 with Votto, Moose, Myers all off the books, very low payroll, maybe we’ll see some movement to accelerate building the Reds team. If Senzel is again out for a long period, he’ll likely be gone, give the kids a chance, chalk up Senzel to a guy who couldn’t stay on the field.
    With Senzel hobbled and Votto not quite ready, Fx3 may be the opening day outfield. Myers will likely be needed at first base. I’d kind of like to see them sign Solano again so Steer can move to first base or outfield against left handed pitching.

Senzel should've been non tendered. He brings nothing to the table, and isn't making league minimum anymore.

10. Likes:

malcontent (01-09-2023),UK Reds Fan (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    With Senzel hobbled and Votto not quite ready, Fx3 may be the opening day outfield. Myers will likely be needed at first base. I’d kind of like to see them sign Solano again so Steer can move to first base or outfield against left handed pitching.
    Stephenson can also play first if Votto is out. Reds certainly have enough backup catchers this season.

Senzel being out clears up the dilemma of which lousy players make the 13 man position roster on opening day.

Stephenson, Casali, Maile, Votto, India, Barrero, Newman, Steer. Fraley, Friedl, Fairchild, Myers. Solak. I think it takes another injury to save Reynolds.

Against RHP

India 2B
    Friedl LF
    Stephenson C
    Votto 1B
    Fraley DH
    Myers RF
    Steer 3B
    Barrero SS
    Faichild CF

Against LHP
    India 2B
    Fairchild CF
    Stephenson DH
    Votto 1B
    Myers RF
    Steer 3B
    Solak LF
    Casali/Maile C
    Barrero SS

I think that's the "best" 13 anyway until the kids start arriving. De LA Cruz, McLain, Encarnacion-Starnd, Siani and Marte can't arrive soon enough.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Senzel should've been non tendered. He brings nothing to the table, and isn't making league minimum anymore.
    Senzel's not one of the 13 best position players on the roster anyway. I'm sure he'll get more time if he ever gets healthy, but I don't really see a reason he should ever play in a Reds uniform again.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Looking at those lineups, and realizing the Reds have added no pitching this off season makes it really hard to see this team winning 70 games.

16. Likes:

mth123 (01-08-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports comments:

Nick Senzel is still dealing with complications from surgery on his broken left toe. Senzel was still using a scooter to get around at Redsfest last month and hasn't walked in months due to ongoing complications with his foot since undergoing surgery. It's unclear whether he'll be ready for spring training, but it appears highly unlikely at this point, which leaves the Reds' outfield in a state of flux. Wil Myers figures to give them a reliable option in an outfield corner with Jake Fraley, TJ Friedl, Stuart Fairchild and Mike Siani vying for playing time this spring. It's not an ideal situation for Cincinnati.

SOURCE: MLB.com

Jan 7, 2023, 3:21 PM ET

...one other thing that doesn't change is the stockpiling of excuses to explain losing seasons, and to always blame is on "bad luck".
    I love how they say "It's unclear whether he'll be ready for Spring Training". Oh, it's pretty clear that he'll miss all of ST, all of April, half of May, half of the Summer, and then get in some garbage time in September.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Some guys have the body for the long term pro athlete seasons. Some don’t.

Senzel doesn’t. It’s not his fault. It’s just how he’s built. Same thing happened to Devin Mesoraco (but he was a lot better player).

Doesn’t matter anyhow. Reds are in the running for worst team in MLB. Who the hell cares.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

Hubba (01-10-2023),Number_Fourteen (01-08-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-10-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Some guys have the body for the long term pro athlete seasons. Some don’t.

Senzel doesn’t. It’s not his fault. It’s just how he’s built. Same thing happened to Devin Mesoraco (but he was a lot better player).

Doesn’t matter anyhow. Reds are in the running for worst team in MLB. Who the hell cares.
    I'm past the injuries with senzel. The fact is, if he's healthy, he's not a guy who should have a roster spot in the big leaugues. He brings very little to the table. Ability to be mediocre at a lot of positions while not being able to hit doesn't make a guy a big league player.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-08-2023 at 12:55 PM.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Senzel on a scooter at Redsfest is basically his career in a nutshell. I’d trade him for basically nothing just to get his negative aura out of the tri-state area.

23. Likes:

malcontent (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Senzel on a scooter at Redsfest is basically his career in a nutshell. I’d trade him for basically nothing just to get his negative aura out of the tri-state area.
    He's going to geta $2 Million arb award. TRade him and Newman, use Reyolds as the back-up IF/OF and put the combined $5 Million toward Johnny Cueto.

Turn Off Ads?