Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Cam Thomas is about to score 40+ for his second game in a row. Did he just become the answer to "who's the #2 guy on the Nets now that Kyrie's gone?"
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Cam Thomas is about to score 40+ for his second game in a row. Did he just become the answer to "who's the #2 guy on the Nets now that Kyrie's gone?"
    45 points on 26 shots with 3:40 left! He needs some help. The Nets’ bench has been futile, lead by Patty Mills’ 0-5 effort.

There's 10 guys who've played more games than Dame since he came into the league - https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=m...%20793%20games.

P.J. Tucker, Harrison Barnes, DeMar DeRozan, Jeff Green, Thaddeus Young, Patty Mills, Russell Westbrook, Tobias Harris, James Harden and Andre Drummond.
    I’m to the point where if Kingspoint tells me the sun is shining I’d have to walk outside to verify. Amazed at how *big* wrong he is on so much stuff here.

Crucial win for the Bulls tonight. Can't be losing home games against the Spurs. In the West, the Dallas-Utah and OKC-Golden State games tonight pretty important for the standings.

Utah got crushed by a guy named Jaden Hardy, who is apparently a real person who plays in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Utah got crushed by a guy named Jaden Hardy, who is apparently a real person who plays in the NBA.
    Dallas liked him enough to not include him in the Irving trade...

5 star college recruit who decided to go to the G league instead of school which hurt his draft stock due to poor shooting.

He is raw but the potential is through the roof with the kid.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

8. Likes:

Betterread (02-07-2023),M2 (02-07-2023)

Not sure if I've ever seen a guy come out of nowhere like this, and go for massive points. It reminds me a bit of Linsanity, but with double the buckets.

When given 20+ mpg, Thomas is a 20 pt./ game scorer. That includes a 120 offensive rating (and a 117 defensive rating). He's at 22.4/36 and might be the type of guy who actually improves his rates with more minutes. Pairing him with Simmons in the backcourt (along with Dinwiddie at the wing, Durant at PF, and Claxton at C) gives the Nets elite shooting at three spots in the starting lineup. With Watanabe, Finney-Smith, Harris, Mills, Curry, and O'Neale on the second unit, Brooklyn has shooters to spare.

It'll be fun to watch how they put all that to use.

That might well be a difficult team to defend-- especially if they can find the range/ get hot for three or four games in the playoffs. They're a matchup issue for any number of East playoff teams.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 02-07-2023 at 10:44 AM.

10. Likes:

M2 (02-07-2023)

In three consecutive games Cam Thomas has scored 44, 47 and 43. I mean, you've got to be legit to do that. He's got mad buckets.
    Last edited by M2; 02-07-2023 at 10:45 PM.

12. Likes:

Betterread (02-08-2023)

In three consecutive games Cam Thomas has scored 44, 47 and 43. I mean, you've got to be legit to do that. He's got mad buckets.
    I'm in a state where I believe it happened, but I don't really trust it (yet) long-term. He's in a place where everything he throws up is going in. Good shots, bad shots, makes no difference. And he's getting to the line at a nigh-unconscionable rate over the last three games (20 free throws tonight? Really?). Sort of a perfect storm, given that he's been handed a megaton of shots. He's clearly improved his game from last season though and did stand out in the Summer League so good for him.

On the flip side, Ben Simmons- two shot attempts tonight. This is a guy who wanted "his" team. Harden dealt, Kyrie traded, Durant out. So he goes and puts up two shots. He looked pretty rough in his last game against Philly. I checked in over at Nets Daily and saw that one of the contributors posted an analysis of Simmons' play. He identified that Simmons may have lost some of his physical prowess due to injury. If true, that would explain the foul trouble he's been getting into, and the lack of speed and slashing ability. If true, that's a big problem because Simmons is playing as if he wants to be sitting on a bench, not directing a team on the floor.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I think LeBron James might be good at basketball.

P.S. But the Lakers are pretty bad.
    Last edited by M2; 02-08-2023 at 08:52 AM.

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    I’m to the point where if Kingspoint tells me the sun is shining I’d have to walk outside to verify. Amazed at how *big* wrong he is on so much stuff here.
    I hope he's wrong about Lou A getting the job in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm in a state where I believe it happened, but I don't really trust it (yet) long-term. He's in a place where everything he throws up is going in. Good shots, bad shots, makes no difference. And he's getting to the line at a nigh-unconscionable rate over the last three games (20 free throws tonight? Really?). Sort of a perfect storm, given that he's been handed a megaton of shots. He's clearly improved his game from last season though and did stand out in the Summer League so good for him.

On the flip side, Ben Simmons- two shot attempts tonight. This is a guy who wanted "his" team. Harden dealt, Kyrie traded, Durant out. So he goes and puts up two shots. He looked pretty rough in his last game against Philly. I checked in over at Nets Daily and saw that one of the contributors posted an analysis of Simmons' play. He identified that Simmons may have lost some of his physical prowess due to injury. If true, that would explain the foul trouble he's been getting into, and the lack of speed and slashing ability. If true, that's a big problem because Simmons is playing as if he wants to be sitting on a bench, not directing a team on the floor.
    I don't think Thomas will score 40+ every night, but I'm thinking 25 ppg is probably in his wheelhouse. He'll have to be efficient because, like you note, he's not going to get unlimited shots once the Nets have a full squad.

With Simmons, I'm never sure what's physical and what's mental. I feel like he's trying to disappear when he's out there, like his brain won't let his body play the game. I assume the Nets are trying to turn his salary (tied to a bunch of draft picks) into a real player. I've seen Siakam get some mention.

18. Likes:

SteelSD (02-08-2023)

I don't think Thomas will score 40+ every night, but I'm thinking 25 ppg is probably in his wheelhouse.
    Thomas is an inveterate gunner similar to Kyrie in that he takes some outlandish shots. That poor shot selection will likely limit him somewhat. He's not got Kyrie's handle (who does?), but everything in his history suggests he's a ready, willing, and able scorer. He reminds me of Tyler Herro, Jamal Murray, Jordan Poole, and present-day Klay Thompson-- he'll shoot you into some games and out of others. That's a really nice guy to have on your squad, typically, and is just a hair under All-Star level. He's certainly good enough (I think) to be a first-division starter on a championship level squad.

Brooklyn should end up playing through KD. Dinwiddie makes sense as a combo guard who can pretend at PG, though he's limited defensively. Were I their coach, I'd make Simmons a post player and feed him the ball inside. He and Claxton can tag team post play and rim running off picks. Otherwise, he's a non-entity. Let Durant cook. Let Thomas cook. Give Dinwiddie the ball to drive-- take advantage of your shooters.

20. Likes:

M2 (02-08-2023),Revering4Blue (02-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Injuries, and recovery have a connection with commitment and Simmons has definite commitment questions. His talent “value” has fallen dramatically over this year.

22. Likes:

SteelSD (02-08-2023)

Rumored three way trade has D’Angelo Russell to Lakers, Conley to Minnesota, and Westbrook to Utah.

Other moving parts as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?